Boat Bath

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
How often do you wash your boat when in salt water and do you use Salt Off?

Wash it with fresh water and Boat Zoap only a couple of times a season, mainly to get the flying rat crap off. Exception is the cap rails. Wash those whenever the salt is too apparent. Never used Salt Away.

We washout it down with salt away and a fresh water rinse at the end of every trip. If we're docking for a night during a trip, we won't, just when we reach our destination. Salt away works great, but you have to make sure you get it all off, especially from the metal.

Hose it down after every trip or first opportunity to have shore water, use a chamois mop on the fiberglass, microfiber cloth on the stainless. We probably washed it with a mild soap a couple three times a year, especially once we were docked in a home marina rather than cruising, though the flying bridge deck needed it more frequently. We used Rejex on everything, every few years, so this made wash down a snap, all that was needed was fresh water even after being at anchor or on a mooring for weeks.

Typically we wash down after any cruise where it's not going to be moved the following day, so most stops on our way. If we're getting right back on our way the following morning, it depends on it's condition.

I just bought my first bottle of Salt Away. Works really well. Checked with the folks at Strataglass and they said it is fine for rinsing the windows just rinse with fresh water after. I have a friend that Captains a mega yacht. He says they hose the boat everyday with fresh water.

Little Joy and water in a plant sprayer followed by a quick fresh water rinse after each charter. Will probably do the same on the trawler. My boats get waxed once a year which makes a big difference on salt water rinse off.

Ted

I can boat in fresh water (east) or salt water (west). I rinse with fresh water after a salt water excursion unless the decks and windows remained dry. I'll rinse the boat if it's been sitting for a few weeks gathering dust. It's apparent when a wet shoe leaves a dirty footprint.

I squeegee the decks and towel dry the rails and brightwork. If I feel energetic, I'll towel dry the gelcoat inside the gunwales and on the pilothouse.

On my boat, the gelcoat has long lost its sheen, so waxing is futile. It's a 34 ft boat...34 ft long and looks best at distances of 34 ft or greater. That's the way we like it. No need for excess effort on appearances. We'd rather use it!!

Back
Top Bottom