Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 63
Question Boarding Ladder/Steps

My wife, who I just talked into owning a boat, has difficulty boarding and disembarking from our boat while traveling to other ports. I have been shopping both removable stairs and ladders to be attached to either side and find them to be extremely pricey. I've resigned myself to ladders as the stairs start @ around $2k. Does anyone have experience with these? Also, anywhere I can check for alternative sources? New Wave Fabricators (Boat Ladders - Tide Rider Ladders - New Wave Fabrication) is the only one I've found so far with a quality product.

Thanks

Paul
__________________
Advertisement

PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
I made a 2 step 24 wide by 12 inch deep (top step has a notch cut down to 9" wide so you don't catch your toes) ladder with the Perko ladder catches screwed in under both boarding openings in the rail. It's made of 1x12 oak from Lowes and gets the usual approvals from others.

It's loved by my girlfriend who has trouble with many other steps and where it isn't good...we have the $15 Rubbermaid 2 step stepstool that we put on the dock.

After a couple hundred marinas between New Jersey and Cape Canaveral, both floating and fixed....99% they are perfect...the only problem so far has been the Indian River in Florida is down about a foot or a little more and some of the fixed docks are a giant step up (Titusville Muni being the worst so far)..but with the water low many are just dead level with the lower sides of my 40 Albin.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
Have you looked at fender steps? We were looking for an occasional use ladder and picked one up similar to the one pictured, although we haven't actually used it yet.

FENDER STEP
__________________
Conrad
Berthed in
Campbell River BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,184
Here's another link...

FenderStep? & Fender2step?- the safe way to get on and off boats
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,181
Not a bad idea, that Fender step. Thanks for the link.
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
I'm making one of these... The hardware is available from a couple of different sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladder_1402_529.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	26902  
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I made a 2 step 24 wide by 12 inch deep (top step has a notch cut down to 9" wide so you don't catch your toes) ladder with the Perko ladder catches screwed in under both boarding openings in the rail. It's made of 1x12 oak from Lowes and gets the usual approvals from others.

It's loved by my girlfriend who has trouble with many other steps and where it isn't good...we have the $15 Rubbermaid 2 step stepstool that we put on the dock.

After a couple hundred marinas between New Jersey and Cape Canaveral, both floating and fixed....99% they are perfect...the only problem so far has been the Indian River in Florida is down about a foot or a little more and some of the fixed docks are a giant step up (Titusville Muni being the worst so far)..but with the water low many are just dead level with the lower sides of my 40 Albin.
I like the idea of the sturdy oak steps but I think I'd probably need three steps which would make for a pretty heavy ladder. Are the rails made of oak as well?
I will make some measurements and consider.

Thanks
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Have you looked at fender steps? We were looking for an occasional use ladder and picked one up similar to the one pictured, although we haven't actually used it yet.

FENDER STEP
Another great idea. Thanks.
PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm making one of these... The hardware is available from a couple of different sources.
That looks like the ticket. Where to get the hardware?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
I think for anyone with mobility or coordination problems, a step hung by ropes that can move around is probably not the best solution.

Marine catalogs are full of steps for boarding boats or docks. Something made of stainless steel should be lighter than wood for the same strength.

Here's a start:

boarding ladder | Overton’s
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
That looks like the ticket. Where to get the hardware?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Try these folks:

Buck Algonquin Boarding Ladder Hardware - Boarding Ladders - Deck & Hull Hardware - Downwind Marine
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I think for anyone with mobility or coordination problems, a step hung by ropes that can move around is probably not the best solution.
I also question the stability of a rope-hung step. Ray's solution is better.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm making one of these... The hardware is available from a couple of different sources.
Similar to what I explained in post #2 and made for my boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I'm making one of these... The hardware is available from a couple of different sources.
Nice steps, Ray!
__________________

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012