Old 04-14-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Boarded by Coast Guard

This was a first for me. Cruising down the estuary into Alameda, got boarded by the Coast Guard. They ran down a list of safety items, etc. I had most of it, but my Coast Guard documentation was, of course, expired by 2 weeks, DOH!

They said I may or may not get a call regarding them issuing a fine, or something to that effect.

Does this happen frequently?
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I’ve only been boarded a couple times. I know some that seem to be a USCG magnet.

It does happen, but not frequently.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Dunno how to assess frequency, but I had one boarding last year. No deficiencies, no hassles. Party of a three, plus the coxswain of the RIB. They had come from a 110 standing off about a half mile.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
once you have a boarding CG4100 boarding form, they are supposed to not board you for another year without probanle cause.

Because there was a discrepancy, I believe now you may not have that priviledge.

Once you get a clean one, then so.

But in reality, if you are in the right place at the right time.....sure you might get boarded and no USCGAUX sticker or previous 4100 will matter.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
This was a first for me. Cruising down the estuary into Alameda, got boarded by the Coast Guard. They ran down a list of safety items, etc. I had most of it, but my Coast Guard documentation was, of course, expired by 2 weeks, DOH!

They said I may or may not get a call regarding them issuing a fine, or something to that effect.

Does this happen frequently?
Michael

Is your vessel properly State registered with CA numbers etc? Or do you claim it to be a Documented vessel? Or both?

Begging the question, when does a CA domiciled vessel need up to date USCG Documentation?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Michael

Is your vessel properly State registered with CA numbers etc? Or do you claim it to be a Documented vessel? Or both?

Begging the question, when does a CA domiciled vessel need up to date USCG Documentation?
You can’t just claim to have a documented vessel. You actually have the document and a sticker with the expiration date on port window. It must be renewed yearly.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Guru

We have been boarded one time in the almost 30 years of boating. I think they were doing training, and it was our turn.
Fortunately we had all the documentation and equipment required.
It was totally painless, we never changed speed or course per their instructions.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
You can’t just claim to have a documented vessel. You actually have the document and a sticker with the expiration date on port window. It must be renewed yearly.
Not to be funny buts what’s a documention sticker? We have a certificate but no sticker.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
There is no documenttion sticker, just the certificate which you must have on board and up to date. You may be referring to your state tag sticker which should still be displayed somewhere visible on the vessel, though not necessarily on the bow since you do not have to display your state reg number.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #10
Guru

Regarding the CG4100, last,and only, time I was boarded when they handed me the "your golden" they told me that if I showed it to a boarding party within six weeks then they would not board. I seem to remember that this was on the form as well. This was some time ago so things may have changed. Regardless they can board you at any time for cause.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Not to be funny buts what’s a documention sticker? We have a certificate but no sticker.

We have a MD "Documented Vessel" sticker good for 2 yrs. I suspect that this s what's being referenced. AFAIK there is NO such sticker from the USCG, unless I've been doing it wrong for 25 yrs as a documented vessel owner.Name:  IMG_0028.JPG
Views: 1654
Size:  10.4 KB

https://maerin.net
Maerin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
you have to request deletion of documentation...

as usual, I suspect its best done in plenty of time to avoid the overlap of expiration and deletion.

I suspect no fine as a recreational boater but you never know.

no federal sticker...in the old days you got one to stick on tbe "original COD" for yearly renewal.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Documented here too. No sticker. I kinda wish I did have one! Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Last time i was boarded they took my passengers aboard the coast guard Boat and provided a pilot to drive my boat to the dock.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Last time i was boarded they took my passengers aboard the coast guard Boat and provided a pilot to drive my boat to the dock.
Uh oh!
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat seems to be a boarding magnet. I average once per year and twice last year (doing the Loop). The more you use your boat, the higher the odds per year as they generally aren't boarding boats at the dock. Also, if you tend to use your boat during the week, you're more likely to get boarded for practice. When I'm the only boat out and there coming the other way, odds go way up. I've gotten use to it and find it's great fun to flirt with the girl coasties.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Hmm, my sticker actually came with the document. I’m heading over now, so I’ll check it out.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Hmm, my sticker actually came with the document. I’m heading over now, so I’ll check it out.

Nope... no sticker here either. I wonder if it is a state thing?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #19
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My boat seems to be a boarding magnet. I average once per year and twice last year (doing the Loop). The more you use your boat, the higher the odds per year as they generally aren't boarding boats at the dock. Also, if you tend to use your boat during the week, you're more likely to get boarded for practice. When I'm the only boat out and there coming the other way, odds go way up. I've gotten use to it and find it's great fun to flirt with the girl coasties.

Ted
Ditto. We use the boat in the winter, the Coasties get bored so we get boarded generally once a year. Never seen any girl Coasties but there must be some of them. Otherwise, how would you get boy Coasties?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #20
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I was about 2nm offshore and they approached and called me on the radio. It was kinda snotty, about 4'. I told them I did not like the idea of two boats transferring folk in those conditions. A bud had been boarded offshore and took some damage to his boat, I was remembering that. I told them that if they insisted, I would run the boat into a nearby inlet and they could board in quiet water. They agreed and so off we went. Boarding was without any trouble, no deficiencies.

It was a young crew, and I think they wanted to train for offshore boardings. I was not into that. Not matter how good you are, two hard shell boats in 4' are going to bang the hell out of each other.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote