Bluewater info and thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingBuffalo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Lady J
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
I’m in the market for a new (to me) boat, and I’ve found one that’s both affordable and has everything I want. The boat in question is a Bluewater Yachts Pilothouse 40ft. While lurking I’ve discovered that there are a few owners of this very model on this very site! I’m looking at two candidates at the moment; one that needs a fair amount of TLC and the other which needs less TLC but with a higher price tag that is at the limit of my budget (it’s a bit over my budget, in fact, but I could make it happen). I wonder if any owners, past or present, would like to chime in about their experience with this vessel. There is little info available about this boat and I’m looking for more.

Welcome aboard. In buying a boat be careful of going over your budget because even if the boat is in good condition you will want/need to spend money on the new boat. I love working on boats so my feeling would be to go with the lower priced boat and bring it up to standards that you like. However, as I said I love working on boats, probably as much as running a boat. I typically overdo anything on the boat and spend too much money on them but that is what I like doing. You need to figure out what you want or what you are capable of doing. If you are not handy then get the boat in better condition. If you like working on things then go with the boat that needs work. Just don’t get in over your head with things that are beyond you abilities or your wallet.

Just don’t get in over your head with things that are beyond you abilities or your wallet.

If we followed that line, Dave, half of us would be in rowboats. :) Actually, extremely good advice.

I’m not worried about the size of the boat or with the repairs as my mechanical skills are good. I am, however, interested in any info about these particular boats. Stories, experiences, technical info, etc are all welcomed. This won’t be my first boat, or even my first “big” boat, but it will be my first “big” power boat.

Hi
Joe here.....the proud owner of Toad Hall. A 1980 Bluewater 40.
Toad Hall has been our home for just under 4 years.

There is only one way to make a bluewater 40 better, and that is to hang a Bruce anchor off the bow with a all chain rode. Then you have perfection.

We have our own face book page, about 8 boats get together yearly in May up here in the PNW.

Send me a pm with your contact info and I will give you a call.

Oh, and buy the boat.

Joe

Toad Hall. What a name. I don’t know where it came from but it’s somehow perfect.

Just remember Bluewater is the name the builder created , perhaps not a description of the boats offshore abilities.

Toad Hall. What a name. I don’t know where it came from but it’s somehow perfect.

Really surprised at that.

It's from The Wind In The Willows. Awesome book that I though every kid in the world had read at some point.

A quote from Mr. Toad in it you probably will have read:

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

OK, if these are the same Bluewater boats that I went on at many boat shows in the first half of the 2000s then I can give you some thoughts.

Huge room inside. Beamy. Seemed perfect for a liveaboard.

One of the main selling aspects was how shallow the boat was - able to be pulled up onto a beach or river bank. I think the draft is under two feet!

However we were interested in serious coastal and offshore boating, so the boat was a definite no. They were really sold as lake boats, or river boats.

In fact take a look at many of the listing on YachtWorld and click on the full specifications and see how many do not show the draft! Here is one that does!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/bluewater-yachts-custom-3564504/?refSource=enhanced listing

I would be interested in Toadhall's take on my thoughts having owned the boat.

Last edited:
IMG_1523.jpg

Menzies you’re talking about the houseboat model. The pilothouse trawler I’m inquiring about is a different breed altogether. 4.5’ draft I believe.

Get a good surveyor with a moisture meter! I know of one that had extreme rot and delam issues on the top of the pilothouse and above the salon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom