Blowing Bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seem to recall seeing a relatively recent article about a pleasure boat that had holes in the hull that would cause air to exit when on plane for a similar effect. The air would enter near the bow and exit under the areas of the boat that are in the water once on plane. I just can't recall the details and am not finding anything on Google.

Beneteau has a new hull technology called Air Step that is available on several models. Looks promising for faster planing boats, but I don't know what advantage it would have at typical trawler or displacement speeds.

fonctionnement-air-step_imagelarge.jpg

Regal Boats has been doing that idea for years with their Fast-Trac hull. It basically uses some slots in the hull, cut in at about a 45* angle outward from the centerline. The thought is that the water becomes turbulent and creates bubbles as the water passes over the slot.

I don't know how much it adds to the efficiency of the hull.

Ranger tugs has a hull design that incorporates this (shady) technology.

A navy Captain , believe it or not named, John Paul Jones , patented a seyup where the engine exhaust was the source of the air ride , back in the 50-60s.

One of the go fast center console boats had "air step" something or other....for at least 10 years or so. Most of the step hulls though I believe were designed to create cavitation/enough turbulence to do the same.

"The Avenger Pro Series is different from all other bay boats because of its unique step-hull. The 1-1/2 inch step ventilates the hull allowing it to run on a cushion of air bubbles. This provides a super soft ride while also creating lift in the transom, ....

http://www.maraudermarine.com/stepped_hull_design.html

Last edited:
Well dang, that was the first time I had ever seen this system. Old news or I am just getting old!!

You might have been on the leading edge of that technology, but so old you forgotten about it already.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom