View Poll Results: Which Blog DO You Use?
Facebook 7 23.33%
Blogspot 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would say Jeffery was just tossing back into the fray what was already started by others.

Join the AGLCA and they are now hosting cruising blogs an making it easy/free from what I gather.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Join the AGLCA and they are now hosting cruising blogs an making it easy/free from what I gather.
Are they hosting or simply linking to all blogs of members?

In looking for that I also found there is blogtalkradio and they have a section on ALGCA.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Are they hosting or simply linking to all blogs of members?

In looking for that I also found there is blogtalkradio and they have a section on ALGCA.

sorry, you could be correct that they are just helping and not hosting...but not sure...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #24

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
A quick perspective from a Marketing Point of View. Both solutions can be great although it depends on your objectives. If you are looking to build a targeted specific (IE Boaters) audience and growing the Reach (audience base) Blogspot may be a better platform as your content can be "Discovered" in relevant Google searches. If there was an objective to attempt at Monetizing the content it is also a better choice. While few may "follow blog updates" as you can see with TF strings and other content they do show up high in Search rankings on Google as people are researching and looking for that specific information.

If Facebook is the direction, your posts and updates only reach a small percentage (5-10%) of your followers and in order to more widely promote your them it requires $. Promoted posts, dark posts, etc. While FB followers might like or share your updates when they see them and this action shows up in their feeds it is probably not the value of driving a search rank position as the "like" or "share" may only be relevant to a small percentage of a Facebook followers friends base.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps.
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
Guru

Good points, CB. Facebook is becoming a very expensive way to advertise. It's worth it on some things, but not on others.

Facebook readers are looking for social interaction, not following a story line, which is what a blog presents. Also, you think it's hard keeping a thread here on topic, maintaining a topic on Facebook is nearly impossible. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat and Cyberchat all serve their purposes. However, we love to read about cruises and follow boat owners in their endeavors. We've tried to read the blogs of everyone here who has one in their signature and loved them all. We much prefer to be able to follow their story as opposed to getting a snapshot of what they're doing. I find blogs timeless too. It doesn't matter to me if their Alaskan trip was this year or last or five years ago.

For anyone considering, I would suggest visiting the blogs you see referenced here and then decide which of the formats works best for you.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #26
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
If Facebook is the direction, your posts and updates only reach a small percentage (5-10%) of your followers and in order to more widely promote your them it requires $.
That's just factually incorrect.

If you created your own boating group for your cruising, you will reach 100% of the people who sign up for it.

If you simply post to your own wall, you'll reach 100% of your friends except those friends who get a lot of content from others. Then it's prioritized. If your postings are popular, 100% of them get through to 100% of your friends 100% of the time.

I've never paid a dime for Facebook use/promotion ever.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Calif Delta
Vessel Model: 34' Tollycraft Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Facebook is ghey.

I've never seen the point of blogs but at least they are not ghey.
Is there a "post of the day" button on here..^^^
Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Facebook: I got up

Facebook: I brushed my teeth

Facebook: Here's a picture of my breakfast

Facebook: Look at this cute kitty picture

Facebook: "Look, This is the Invention the Power Companies Don't Want You To Know About"

Facebook: Off to work

Facebook: Wow, traffic sucks

Reader: OMF-ingG, who cares.

That's why I stopped using Facebook
Old 02-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

Facebook: "Look, This is the Invention the Power Companies Don't Want You To Know About"

That may say more about the folks that you choose to "friend" on FB than it does the platform itself.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:

And I'll see who my friends are by who passes this on or who puts this in their status or whatever. Oh, and invitations to play games.

That said, I don't condemn facebook. It's brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. People communicate with those across the country who they haven't seen for years. Grandparents share photos of pride with everyone they know or have ever known. For those who are unable to easily get out it keeps them in touch with others and is their social outlet.

In some ways it's like most good things that evolve to some degree of excess. I think it serves it's purpose and for those who enjoy it, then I'm glad they do. It's just not something for me. Then I do have to warn young people that it's not private. Even those not on facebook sometimes have problems from it as someone posts regarding something that took place in privacy and should have remained secret.

Regardless, I feel blogs are better avenues for continual stories.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I like Facebook, much easier to document/ upload pictures.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That may say more about the folks that you choose to "friend" on FB than it does the platform itself.
I can't deny that :-) But it seems to come from the most unlikely people.....

I did enjoy facebook for reconnecting with people who I hadn't seen or heard from in ages. But for me, the signal to noise ratio was all too far off
Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
A few years ago I started a Wordsmith blog about my boat. I made 2 entry's and then stopped, I may get back to it, when I retire and have the time.

I have FB to keep up with my family and friends, logging in once a week or less. I have the privacy settings locked down as tight as they allow, so just my family and close friends see my posts. I don't think I'd want to have a "blog" there. Even with the tight privacy settings I still get a lot of FB "suggestions" and Ads, I don' like that very much.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #34
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:

What turned me off about FB is the incessant obnoxious political messaging that some friends (unfortunately family) post sometimes to the tune of 20 posts a day. One person will post of liberal causes. Another will post of conservative causes. Another post on cats and dogs and animal rights. It was like some people think others are mindless and they have to help shape your thinking with their messages.

I de-friended a few of the volume posters and that caused hard feelings.

The things you mention are also an issue.

Found the best thing to do was just hang-up on FB as you did.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #35
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I agree with you and twisted tree, but I tend to just scroll over them. The fb page I have on ASD (you can look at it if you like "click on Alaskan") does not contain that stuff. I believe (I hope as I am not very computer savvy) I set it up to where you can "follow" me. But then again you may also have to have your own fb page. Just don't invite those who irritate you. Understand they are family members.....LOL
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:47 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I agree with you and twisted tree, but I tend to just scroll over them. The fb page I have on ASD (you can look at it if you like) does not contain that stuff. I believe (I hope as I am not very computer savvy) I set it up to where you can "follow" me. But then again you may also have to have your own fb page. Just don't invite those who irritate you. Understand they are family members.....LOL
For what it's worth... when I follow the link to the facebook page, I'm presented with one of those Captcha puzzles where you need to type in the indecipherable gibberish in the box. I don't know if everyone gets that, of just people like me who do not have facebook accounts. Normally that's as far as I would go, but continued on 'cause I'm interested. All I see is your current city and home town, About Alaskan, and Favorite Quotes. Is there more that you would expect a visitor to see at this point? Just curious.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #37
Guru

I agree with BandB that blogs are better for telling a story than facebook. But that brings up one of my pet peeves, and Im curious if others find it annoying.

Blogger, and I think all the other popular blogging tools like wordsmith, present everything in reverse chronological order. That's fine if you are dropping in and just want to see the latest, but it's really annoying when you want to read some section of the blog's story. Typically you will get a page with multiple blog posts, but because they are in reverse chronological order, you need to scroll to the bottom and find the last entry, read it, then scroll back up past it's beginning to find the start of the next entry, read that, and keep repeating until you get to the top of the page. When reading a story, the natural progression in the english language had been top to bottom for thousands of years, not bottom to top.

In Blogger, the best way I've been able to find to work around this is to tell Blogger that you only want to display a single post on each page. That way, you can jump into the blog at any article, read it, then click the Next or Previous buttons to move to the next or previous post. The Next button takes you forward in time by one article, and seems like much more intuitive was to navigate.

Have others tried this? Does anyone care?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #38
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
For what it's worth... when I follow the link to the facebook page, I'm presented with one of those Captcha puzzles where you need to type in the indecipherable gibberish in the box. I don't know if everyone gets that, of just people like me who do not have facebook accounts. Normally that's as far as I would go, but continued on 'cause I'm interested.
Those Captcha puzzles are interesting. Not only do they determine if you are a "real" visitor vs a computer probe, some also serve a more useful purpose. If you ever see a captcha that has two components to it, one is the real verification, the other is a tiny section of a scanned document that the computer OCR readers were unable to decipher.

Humans do a much better job of deciphering scanned text than to computers. As part of an effort to digitize much of the worlds literature old texts are being scanned and computer read. Parts however are beyond the abilities of the computer OCR software. So tiny bits are included with the captcha. When enough humans agree on what that text is it is added to the document and another tiny bit of undecipherable text is sent out.

So as annoying as they can be, the captchas not only ensure that you are a "real" person, but you may be helping to save a tiny portion of English literature.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #39
Guru

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I definitely appreciate the effect of filtering out non-human access, but it definitely has the side effect of deterring some number of real users. At least for me, it takes very little to make me abandon one path of inquiry and go seek another. Web sites that want you to register or provide contact info to get pricing or to download something are a good example. I just move on to another supplier. If basic info isn't readily available for a product or service then I lose interest very quickly. Learning about someone's product should be easy, not hard.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:37 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
People's reaction to Facebook amuses me. Some like to throw up a cross against it as if it's some type of devil. As if being non-Facebook is a badge of honor. Others who aren't involved in Facebook then go on to say how awful it is. But if you're not on it, how do you know?
Yep. Much like television, some folks claim to be better than others if they don't use it.

Quote:
Facebook is a communications tool. It's a pretty great one to share ideas, receive feedback and comments, and exchange media like photos and video. It's a pretty nice, low impact way to create a cruising blog for family and friends. You'll get a lot more comments and feedback along the way with Facebook if you want that. It'll probably be more fun and can take advantage of checking in to keep track of location.........
Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with friends and fellow musicians from the good old days (the 1960s). It's also where I learn of their passing.

It's also how I keep in contact with my family and children. And my boating friends.

As far as "blogging", when cruising, I write about each day's events using MS Word, then paste to Facebook. At the end of the cruise I'll take the MS Word document, add photos, convert it to a PDF file and post it on the Internet where it can be accessed by anyone who has the URL. The advantage to the MS Word document is, it's linear from the first day to the last. I can also print it and keep a copy for folks to read.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote