Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think some of you don't know how easy it is...

Bad guys look over a neighborhood. See a potentisl house looking inactive...punch in the address for real estate transactions.

Come up with a name...google name and come up with blog...

Blog shows you in Bahamas...

Guess what???

won't work for everyone..or every time,,,but it can.

A few years back...bought an RV...RV dealer put our names and home town outside near the door for socializing at RV parks. !st park we stayed at several peiople came up to us and said several networks of people selling that info to burglar rings had been uncovered and not a bad idea to at least take the hometown off.

With all the other info available on the web..not so sure there's not info available to criminal through a fairly organized system.

I'm not paranoid...but the minute you think you're smarter or ahead of crime..it proves you wrong.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #22

City: WA
Someone could sit at the Ballard locks in Seattle on a sunny summer Saturday morning looking up boat names on the CG website as they exit the locks and text those addresses to accomplices. Those folks are likely gone for the weekend. I fly a lot. Sitting at the gate, I can easily see numerous luggage tags with names and addresses on them. Those folks are about to get on an airplane. They'll be gone for a while too. Someone could text those addresses to accomplices.

There are many ways bad guys can be bad. I think blogging about your boating adventures is pretty low risk.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
And never program your car GPS's home button as they will steal your car parked in front of your nice empty dock at the marina, hit the GPS "home" button and drive your car to your house and push your garage door opener, which is on the visor or programed in, to steal all your sh!t. This has been around for years but they love it.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: Tampa
Statistically, most burglaries are crimes of opportunity, and a vast majority of them are committed by juveniles and dopers.

Unless you are a high profile target, most of the average scumbags will pass you by if you take even moderate precautions, most of which have already been discussed.

If you happen to be on the upper end of the target spectrum, then use some of that cash to harden the target and rest a little easier.

I happen to like the remote surveillance features on some of the alarms today. Not only does it notify you and the police, but you can see what's going on at the same time. CCTV, remote, battery backed systems are worth their weight in gold in the investigation, apprehension and prosecution of burglary suspects. But make sure it's either off site, or secured where it cannot be taken or tampered with like happened to a buddy of mine (a former LEO at that!)

As for blogs, yes, despite what some think, many criminals do read. The chance that they're going to read a boating blog, and mine or your in particular, is still very minute. Believe it or not, quite a few of the burglars we have arrested in the past, got their targets from reading the obits.
It got so bad for a while, we started suggesting that our officers consider scanning the obits prior to their shift for potential targets in their AO.

While still not a huge concern, face it. Blogs, Facebook, Myspace (is that even still around?), twitter, all have the potential for use in casing a particular location. If you're name is on the blog, I can probably find your house.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Someone could sit at the Ballard locks in Seattle on a sunny summer Saturday morning looking up boat names on the CG website as they exit the locks and text those addresses to accomplices. Those folks are likely gone for the weekend. I fly a lot. Sitting at the gate, I can easily see numerous luggage tags with names and addresses on them. Those folks are about to get on an airplane. They'll be gone for a while too. Someone could text those addresses to accomplices.

There are many ways bad guys can be bad. I think blogging about your boating adventures is pretty low risk.
Totally agree!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Here is a fun twist... Do you worry about your boat being lifted when you are at home? I mean, lots of y'all don't even have keys to start your boat. If someone gets onboard and motors away, one could get pretty far away by the time you get back to notice it's gone.
Tom,

I mentioned in another thread here a while back, that I have an acquaintance who is still on probation for stealing boats from the docks and selling them outside the US.

She and her ex-boyfriend were damned good at it, until "he" got stupid and failed to listen to her reasoning. They boosted a boat from a busy, hard to exit, marina, and got caught before they made it to open water.

Had he listened, they'd probably still be stealing boats.

I met her through one of my attorney clients.
I was going to hire her to consult with my marine safety firm on vessel security. Unfortunately, she's still prohibited from being on, in or near a vessel or marina for another few years

It's not that difficult with the right planning and skill set.

OD
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Statistically, most burglaries are crimes of opportunity, and a vast majority of them are committed by juveniles and dopers............
Yes, the dumb asses who burglarized two homes in my neighborhood recently chose the houses next door and across the street from their own homes!

Of course, even though they were caught in the act, they are considered innocent until proven guilty and are back home in the neighborhood.

BTW: Word is, one of the TV sets they stole was sold to another neighbor and the victim drives by it every day on his way to work.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
And never program your car GPS's home button as they will steal your car parked in front of your nice empty dock at the marina, hit the GPS "home" button and drive your car to your house and push your garage door opener, which is on the visor or programed in, to steal all your sh!t. This has been around for years but they love it.
That's a good point and although we hide the GPS and bracket when not in use and we don't leave the car at the marina if we'll be gone for more than a week (and we gon't have a garage door opener remote in the car), I believe I'll remove the "home" location from the GPS and use a code word instead. I'll enter an address far away for "Home". Perhaps the address of the county jail.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote