Old 08-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Blog Rant

Have a minor problem with some of the great blogs folks create. They have great pictures and good travel info, but very little about the boat and the crew.

If you're a blogger, consider including a good page on you and your boat. Your background, boating, other trips, crew, and perhaps some of the things you like to do and don't like. Adds a lot of perspective to the blog.

Also, a map of the traveled areas is nice.

(rant off)

Old 08-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Actually I'm amazed people share as much private information as they do online.

Get targeted by some whacko and you've helped them inflict maximum damage with hardly any stalking effort required.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I'm' not sure I'd share much info about who I am and/or where I live. Too easy for some jerk to pay a visit to my home while I'm off somewhere on the boat.

Pics of the boat and maps, sure thing, but no personal info.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Our son and his fiancť posted on Facebook a lot about their upcoming wedding on an island in SC. Three days before the wedding, while they were away as advertised, they were broken into. Items taken included several guns and our now-daughter-in-law's car. I've become a less-is-more kind of guy when it comes to posting personally identifiable info on forums, blogs, etc.

Signed angus99
(always home and armed to the teeth)

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
In my humble opinion, Facebook is half a word. Given that this is a GP site, ask an old salt what the whole word is. Understand friends and family. Use email or set up a protected website and invite users selectively. Recognizing that I am a dinosaur, I'm an outline.

Never have, never will do FB.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
That would be outlier.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Have a minor problem with some of the great blogs folks create. They have great pictures and good travel info, but very little about the boat and the crew.

If you're a blogger, consider including a good page on you and your boat. Your background, boating, other trips, crew, and perhaps some of the things you like to do and don't like. Adds a lot of perspective to the blog.

(rant off)
Good points.

I'd love to embed a map that stays undated like the InReach one. If anyone can tell me how to do it easily in Wordpress, I will.

Richard, now in Mexico for the duration

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:

(rant off)

Agree 100%.

I watch number of videos on youtube and read a number blogs of cruisers. The photos are nice as well as the videos and they do a great deal of work in putting together the information on the trips.

However I as well would like to see more detailed information about their routes. Their vessel’s draft, depths, currents, tides, the bad spots they encountered along the way and so forth.

I think it would be really help if they gave a little more information on some of those things.

Cheers

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Good points.

I'd love to embed a map that stays undated like the InReach one. If anyone can tell me how to do it easily in Wordpress, I will.

Richard, now in Mexico for the duration
Richard,

Love your map and love to follow your voyages. Great life and very interesting.

Now, if one really want privacy, they'd not have a blog. MOST of them you can figure out where they are. And personal info has no bearing on safety... one is not going to get out there home address, SS numbers and damaging info.

But if one gives a name and a route, people know where you are and where you're going. But telling us that you're a captain, beginner, did this or that cruise or what boat you have is not a high risk bit of info.

I'm probably the most paranoid person on this list. I have nothing in my name, no identity, no friends, no bank account, no income, no boat, no nothing... and you can't search records about me and find anything. But I have no issue telling you what boat I have, my background and some of the trips I do.

Just trying to make blogs a bit more interesting.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #10

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I agree whole heartedly with the OP. I've found a couple interesting Bayliner 38xx blogs and Ranger 33 blogs and they have nothing of value as far as mods or repairs or upgrades done to the boats. The trips are nice, but I like to know whats going on behind the scenes as well as any tips and tricks on making the trip nicer.

You have a picture of the transom with 12 people in the cockpit and mention that you were able to seat them all for dinner...I'd love to know how you managed that and ANY interior pictures on how you changed the interior...

...or how you managed to change the head gasket on an engine that has near zero documentation....

...or how you managed to install a water maker in a R33 where I couldn't figure it out...

Interior pics would be nice on any blogs at a minimum

My biggest complaint would be the "Blog" site layout as a base for a website. They suck in my personal opinion!

Anyways...
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well I am a blogger and if I knew how to load a map of our travels I would or you could go to my shared SPOT page if you want that information. I posted that at the beginning of this years blog. I also shared it here on TF. So I feel I have shared a lot.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
That would be outlier.
That's me also.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well I am a blogger and if I knew how to load a map of our travels I would or you could go to my shared SPOT page if you want that information. I posted that at the beginning of this years blog. I also shared it here on TF. So I feel I have shared a lot.
I read your blog Alaskan and you do give some great info which I find help. Thank you!. I just wish more would do the same.

Cheers Mate.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:

(rant off)

You should try YouTube blogs of mostly sailors cruising the Bahamas. You'll learn a lot about them.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
Guru

City: In transit
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
Caroline's blog of this trip seems pretty well received, but she is always open to suggestions. Typically if a reader wants more personal or detailed information they email us directly. That has worked well.

She does have a page about each of us, the boat, and a link to our last boat voyage blog. Not being tech savy, I rely on Delorme for my map with a link in the blog.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #16

City: Spring Lake, MI
Vessel Name: Great Laker
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
During our Great Loop trip, I blogged daily for 305 days. I considered it a record of our adventure focusing on where we chose to stop, what we discovered to see and do, and what we learned about the history of our great country as it evolved along the river system and east coast. I believe it has turned out to be useful for others planning their trips as well.

This forum has turned out to be great resource for purchasing, owning, operating and maintaining the boats we all treasure and love. For me it provides a single access to a far deeper knowledge base and variety of opinions than I could get any other way.

There is a link to my Great Loop Blog below.
adventuresofgreatlaker.blogspot.com
Great Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B:

Do this, do that...add this to your blog...blog's would be better if...don't like blogs in this format...

They're freaking free, people. Just enjoy. They're not meant to be perfect. People have gone to effort to share. One has more of this and another more of that. If you don't like, don't read. I'm sure the blogger will give you a full refund of your purchase price.

We thought about publishing our trip logs. Just routes and where we went and what we did there, without photos, without repairs and maintenance, but haven't and probably won't because then people will just complain about what they don't have.

If someone gives you a present at a holiday, do you then complain to them if it's not exactly what you wanted?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Same goes for so much these days, people feel so entitled, no sense of gratitude.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Same goes for so much these days, people feel so entitled, no sense of gratitude.
Wifey B: Well, I was smiling as I wrote it, but in humor there is truth. Just seems a bit presumptuous to be critical of free services and blogs that many spend so much time and effort on, just to share. Now, if you want to criticize blogspot or something, that's fine. They're doing it for profit, even if they are free. Even the Alphabet is for profit.

P. S. I like profit. It pays.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
Guru

As the OP, I shouldn't have created this thread as a complaint, but as a request or suggestion. I'm not here to piss people off.

I come from a graphics background and my daughter is still in it at a higher level. I can appreciate what can be done with a just a little effort and info in making a blog, website or ad a tad better and most beneficial.

People make blogs and for others to read, and as a diary of what they've done.

I hope my comments have come across to help make them more informative and fun to read. I should have said "suggestion or idea" instead of "problem or rant".....

But in all fairness, bloggers invite people to their site and they invite comments. Most want folks to visit and comment or they wouldn't advertise them. So my attempt to comment in general gets a bit of criticism, I can live with that.

And, I'd still argue for improvements. Need more about your boat, pictures, why you bought it, what you like or dislike about it, maintenance, etc. And about yourself, how you got into boating, what activities you like/dislike.

Who knows, you may find someone that has been their before and can get some good info from them or the opposite. That's often how friendships are created.

Now, think I'll start a blog......