Blisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awpptdt

Vessel Name
Donnchaidh
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40' sedan
Finished grinding off all of the bottom paint and found no blisters in the glass:). Did find a lot of little 1/16" divits along the water line, must be some kind of fiberglass eating bugs:blush:. Next I cut out the plugs for the bow thruster and what I did find there was interesting:confused:. The hull was hand layed and the cutouts were 3/4" thick:thumb: with, and this is the interesting part, a lot of voids in the glass:confused:. Therefore it is not hard to see how blisters can get a start, photo attached.
J.T.Duncan, 1977, M/T, 40', sedan, single F/L.

Attachments

• MVC-001L.JPG
    MVC-001L.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 148
The boat was hand laid up by a bunch of HS dropouts?

What brand of boat do you have?

And what in the world is in the picture?

Just wonder'in

The boat was hand laid up by a bunch of HS dropouts?

So how many high school graduates do you think there were in the Taiwanese boat yards in the 1980's?

It is a Marine Trader and that yellow thingy is the electric motor for the 80 kgf Vetus bow thruster I will be installing.

My 1988 Albin is just as bad or worse....till you grind off your gel coat...you never know what's underneath...:eek: :D :D

Finished grinding off all of the bottom paint and found no blisters in the glass:). Did find a lot of little 1/16" divits along the water line, must be some kind of fiberglass eating bugs:blush:. Next I cut out the plugs for the bow thruster and what I did find there was interesting:confused:. The hull was hand layed and the cutouts were 3/4" thick:thumb: with, and this is the interesting part, a lot of voids in the glass:confused:. Therefore it is not hard to see how blisters can get a start, photo attached.

I am in no way an authority on FG, but the cross section I see there looks to be as good as I would think that many layers could be. The two areas of concern- wouldn't concern me. :)

It is a Marine Trader and that yellow thingy is the electric motor for the 80 kgf Vetus bow thruster I will be installing.

How about an avatar picture?

Ok, here it is, she is in the shop getting a complete refit, hope to have her back in the water next spring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom