Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,262
A Blackfish Buffet

Monday Jan 2, 2017
Transient Bigg's (meat eating) Killer Whales certainly made a huge splash by sneaking up on around 600 Pacific White Sided Dolphins who were merrily feeding just off Texada Island. Once the Dolphins realized they were about to become lunch, they all exploded out of the water and scattered in every direction to get away.

https://youtu.be/ZkdyDtl4wLI
__________________
Advertisement

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,175
Yes, this is how they got their name, not "Cuddle Whales" like we think of them...
__________________

__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
What are we offended about today?
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,155
Bad deal having something chasing you and you have no rear view mirror.

Run like hell!!!

Looks like they were getting a little tired toward the end. At beginning they were coming clean out of the water. Toward the end, they were not.

Awesome video. Thanks.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
I have never seen that many dolphins at one time. That is astounding.

Someone needs to teach our resident pods to eat seals and dolphins.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Someone needs to teach our resident pods to eat seals and dolphins.
...and leave the salmon for the rest of us?
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
...and leave the salmon for the rest of us?

Yes!
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
Guru
 
Northern Spy's Avatar
 
City: Powell River, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,979
It has been quite the theater for Powell Riverites with a water view. I hope to make it home soon and record the event personally.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member
 
City: Hampton
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 60
About a week ago, National Geographic aired a video of Orcas (aka Killer Whales) actually catching a dolphin and then killing it and tossing it around like a rag doll among the pod and actually consuming it completely. Very graphic and like Xsbank says they are not cute "cuddly whales".
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
About a week ago, National Geographic aired a video of Orcas (aka Killer Whales) actually catching a dolphin and then killing it and tossing it around like a rag doll among the pod and actually consuming it completely. Very graphic and like Xsbank says they are not cute "cuddly whales".
They are definitely an apex predator. They will kill sharks, seals, sea lions, porpoise, dolphins, whales, and even polar bears and the rare moose that is caught swimming between islands. Even so, I am not aware of any documented case of an Orca killing a human.

So while I have no fear of Orcas, I still wouldn't want to be in the water in a wet suit when transient Orcas are hunting. Mistakes can be made and even though the Orca may apologize afterwards, I'd rather not tempt fate.

However, I would have no qualms about being in the water around our resident orcas here in the Salish Sea. There are two distinct populations of resident killer whales, the Northern Resident Killer Whales and the Southern Resident Killer Whales (or Salish Sea Orcas). Both of these populations simply don't eat mammals, being somehow content on a diet made up exclusively of fish, primarily Coho salmon. So even though I might make a nice, lipid rich, meal for an Orca, they are just not interested.

This may be why so many here are rather fond of our local Orcas. They are majestic creatures who are not a threat to us.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Hampton
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 60
A few years ago I read a book about a couple surviving in a life raft for several weeks. Their boat had been attacked by a pod of killer whales and repeatedly rammed until the hull was crushed. As I recall they opined that they may have unintentionally run into one of them while it was sleeping. I believe they were somewhere in the South Pacific. Ultimately the whales left them alone and they had to abandon ship and into the life raft. Unfortunately I do not remember the book's title or the author.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
A few years ago I read a book about a couple surviving in a life raft for several weeks. Their boat had been attacked by a pod of killer whales and repeatedly rammed until the hull was crushed. As I recall they opined that they may have unintentionally run into one of them while it was sleeping. I believe they were somewhere in the South Pacific. Ultimately the whales left them alone and they had to abandon ship and into the life raft. Unfortunately I do not remember the book's title or the author.
Yes I remember that one vaguely. If I recall it was a wooden sailing vessel, (maybe 35-45 feet long?) named the Lucinda or Lucy or something. It was down near the Galapagos islands I think and the family abandoned ship into a raft and dinghy.

Very strange that the pod would attack the boat but I don't think the Orcas actually attacked the people. An Orca can tip a small ice flow to get at seals, sea lions, and polar bears. You would thing they could destroy a dinghy and raft to get at people.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post

Very strange that the pod would attack the boat but I don't think the Orcas actually attacked the people. An Orca can tip a small ice flow to get at seals, sea lions, and polar bears. You would thing they could destroy a dinghy and raft to get at people.
Perhaps the Orcas blamed the boat, rather than extend their anger to the crew.
There was a death associated with the zoo/waterpark captive orca Tilikum, which recently died. Locked up for years in a small area, performing tricks for fish,may not help an orca`s disposition towards its keepers.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,175
We taste like sh!t, thankfully.
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
What are we offended about today?
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 AM   #14
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Perhaps the Orcas blamed the boat, rather than extend their anger to the crew.
There was a death associated with the zoo/waterpark captive orca Tilikum, which recently died. Locked up for years in a small area, performing tricks for fish,may not help an orca`s disposition towards its keepers.

There have been a number of attacks by captive whales and some deaths. I don't know of any deaths by whales in the wild.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #15
Guru
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 675
A Blackfish Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
They are definitely an apex predator. They will kill sharks, seals, sea lions, porpoise, dolphins, whales, and even polar bears and the rare moose that is caught swimming between islands. Even so, I am not aware of any documented case of an Orca killing a human.

So while I have no fear of Orcas, I still wouldn't want to be in the water in a wet suit when transient Orcas are hunting. Mistakes can be made and even though the Orca may apologize afterwards, I'd rather not tempt fate.

However, I would have no qualms about being in the water around our resident orcas here in the Salish Sea. There are two distinct populations of resident killer whales, the Northern Resident Killer Whales and the Southern Resident Killer Whales (or Salish Sea Orcas). Both of these populations simply don't eat mammals, being somehow content on a diet made up exclusively of fish, primarily Coho salmon. So even though I might make a nice, lipid rich, meal for an Orca, they are just not interested.

This may be why so many here are rather fond of our local Orcas. They are majestic creatures who are not a threat to us.

I used to think that way until I watched a juvenile male harass one of my buddies off Henry island one night. Actually watched the biggest Bull turn around and admonish the youngster for playing around and summon him to get back with the pack. The rest of the females showed no interest. My friend Brock surfaced and thought one of us had been messing around with us and wanted to know which one of us shoved him from behind. That was 96, 97 or so. I personally made a full detailed report to the whale museum in Friday Harbor, and that was eye opening as ever since then I've occasionally asked them on a few occasions whether they have ever had a report of divers getting harassed and they always emphatically state they have never heard of such a thing. You have to realize, these kinds of facts are at odds with their goals, so you never hear about it. I can assure you it has happened. Wish we all had smartphones back then.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #16
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I used to think that way until I watched a juvenile male harass one of my buddies off Henry island one night. Actually watched the biggest Bull turn around and admonish the youngster for playing around and summon him to get back with the pack. The rest of the females showed no interest. My friend Brock surfaced and thought one of us had been messing around with us and wanted to know which one of us shoved him from behind. That was 96, 97 or so. I personally made a full detailed report to the whale museum in Friday Harbor, and that was eye opening as ever since then I've occasionally asked them on a few occasions whether they have ever had a report of divers getting harassed and they always emphatically state they have never heard of such a thing. You have to realize, these kinds of facts are at odds with their goals, so you never hear about it. I can assure you it has happened. Wish we all had smartphones back then.


Interesting. I recall hearing about a kid that was bitten by an Orca near a beach down in CA. Bitten, then released. I also heard about a diver that was almost drowned when an Orca grabbed a bag (bait or fish I don't know) and dived with it. Unfortunately the diver was attached to the bag and had a hard time releasing. I think he did eventually and was able to get to the surface. Both of those situations weren't an attack.

I have also heard of the resident whales "playing" with dolphins. Play hard enough and you could wind up just as dead.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #17
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,797
A pod of orcas attacked and killed a white pointer shark at one of the shark local shark viewing cages. The white pointers disappeared for almost a month after the event. No sightings at all.


AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member
 
City: Hampton
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 60
Perhaps we don't hear about humans being attacked because "Dead men tell no tales"?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Perhaps we don't hear about humans being attacked because "Dead men tell no tales"?
Maybe there is a reason for that guilty smile the Orcas always seem to have?
__________________

__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012