bitter end of anchor chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm with Alaska Sea-Duction on this issue.

Our all chain rode is bolted to a bracket in the anchor locker. We also have bolt cutters and several other hand and power tools onboard that would cut the chain in a pinch. It could also be unbolted pretty quickly.

The challenge I have is that I cannot concive of a scenario where it would be necessary to quickly cut the chain vs just unbolting it calmly.

Yes I can envision a situation where you might need to abandon your chain. Stuck anchor comes to mind. I just cannot envision a "emergency" where I need to do it at a seconds notice.

The only one I can think of is if a submarine or a whale got caught up in the chain and was dragging the boat under, but how likely is that? Then you have the very real issue that unless your chain is already 100% deployed you probably have allot of chain to go through before you get to that nifty knife cuttable part at the end.

We can "what if" this subject to death, but I just do not see the real risk.

Last edited:
It constantly amazes me the scenerios folks will imagine for their ground tackle .

A recent sail gear test showed only ONE single brand/style of shackle that tested to its rating.

Practical Sailor

A few bucks spent might improve sleep in a blow,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom