Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #41
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The diesel you burn in your boat may well be more toxic than umo, definitely more toxic than wvo.. It depends on who tests and who interprets, and toward what purpose. There are plenty of advocates in the wvo and umo fuel use side that have statistics and testing to back up there side. If I could get heating oil for 1/2 the price of diesel someone would not like fact that I am using it for motor fuel, regardless that millions of people burn 100s of millions of gallons of it every winter. Sometimes it seems like "if you dont do as I do you are doing wrong". People are funny that way ! I contend that umo/wvo is better for my old diesel engines than the new ultra low sulphur diesel. YMMV

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #42
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Even in Louisiana rules exist for disposing of used oil, RS30:2417. Federally, 34 years ago the Used Oil Recycling of 1980 was passed. Lots of rules and regulations for burning used oil have been in effect for decades. But, burn away and enjoy the feeling of skirting federal and state laws.

BTW, if anyone is interested look up the definition under EPA.gov for what constitutes a used oil Permitted Facility. As one who has sent tens of thousands of gallons of used diesel lube oil to these guys, I can only but tell you they do exist with the dual purpose of keeping it out of the air and water and reducing the amount of required new oil to produce lub oil.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #43
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
For a moment there I thought you wrote puppies.
Now, that's funny
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #44
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
This practice has been outlawed by the feds and states for about 35 years now. You and your neighbors are subject to heavy metal poisoning. The same applies for spreading used oil on roads for dust control. The famous case that got the Feds riled up involved a Missouri recycler, Russell Bliss, who used his excess used motor oil to keep dust down and provide cheap heating oil to his friends. Major jail time ensued. 3500 gallons you say, wow.
Interestig. Are you sure about that? Our City uses spent motor oil to heat the DPW garage building.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
There certainly are rules governing the hauling and disposal of used lubricating oil, but they do not impose an outright ban on using it for heating or blending with diesel fuel.

Follow the links in Post #15 for information provided by the EPA and Oregon - arguably one of the "greenest" states - concerning the use of used lube oil.

And for what it's worth, the Times Beach debacle was created when the waste oil hauler disposed of PCB contaminated oil by illegally blending it with waste lube oil for the (then) perfectly legal purpose of dust control.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Interestig. Are you sure about that? Our City uses spent motor oil to heat the DPW garage building.
From my foggy years past, generally States allow use of lub oil generated by the user for use as heating oil. Once above a certain volume a permit is required and subject to emissions monitoring. In reading the OR link supplied by RickB this appears the case.

A decade ago, at a CA gold mine I managed, the re use of genset lub oil from a large power producer was subject to emissions compliance under CARB rules. At this facility we could not filter and mix any used lubrication oil with diesel for on site reuse as it then rendered the diesel fuel non compliant. The genset stacks were subject to monitoring with a very long list of criteria, including heavy metals. It was common to do a genset rebuild based upon non compliance for soot, S, NOX.

No way do I see Kulas or the other hobbyist lub burners getting dinged as the states and Feds focus their efforts on the big guys. There is however the ever encroaching term called voluntary compliance which year by year nudges small emitters to the mandatory compliance side.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #47
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
From my foggy years past, generally States allow use of lub oil generated by the user for use as heating oil. Once above a certain volume a permit is required and subject to emissions monitoring. In reading the OR link supplied by RickB this appears the case.

A decade ago, at a CA gold mine I managed, the re use of genset lub oil from a large power producer was subject to emissions compliance under CARB rules. At this facility we could not filter and mix any used lubrication oil with diesel for on site reuse as it then rendered the diesel fuel non compliant. The genset stacks were subject to monitoring with a very long list of criteria, including heavy metals. It was common to do a genset rebuild based upon non compliance for soot, S, NOX.

No way do I see Kulas or the other hobbyist lub burners getting dinged as the states and Feds focus their efforts on the big guys. There is however the ever encroaching term called voluntary compliance which year by year nudges small emitters to the mandatory compliance side.
The New Jersey company I used to work for heated the maintenance shop with used oil as well as salvaged fuel oil etc from underground tanks they removed as an environmental services business. (as an aside...that boss was the largest subcontractor to the NRC on the Gulf of Mexico BP oil spill )

Several years after installing the used oil heater he somehow got a nastygram from the NJ Dept of Environmental Protection for not having a permit. Things were worked out and he got one...he already had the permits for trucking and generating the stuff offsite.

There isn't much that goes into running one...I was often the guy to had to care for and feed it...no monitoring of the output and the unit was just some off the shelf one from Northern Tools if I remember correctly. Amazing what that thing burned even though very lax storage and filtering did require feed system cleaning.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 PM   #48
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Diesel Fuel from Air & Water

Audi just created diesel fuel from air and water

Audi just created diesel fuel from air and water

Quote:
The base fuel is referred to as "blue crude," and begins by taking electricity from renewable sources like wind, solar or hydropower and using it to produce hydrogen from water via reversible electrolysis. The hydrogen is then mixed with CO2 that has been converted into CO in two chemical processes and the resulting reactions produce a liquid made from long-chain hydrocarbons this is blue crude, which is then refined to create the end product, the synthetic e-diesel.

Audi says that the carbon dioxide used in the process is currently supplied by a biogas facility but, further adding to the green impacts of the process, some of the CO2 is captured directly from the ambient air, taking the greenhouse gas out of the atmosphere.

Sunfire claims that analysis shows the properties of the synthetic diesel are superior to fossil fuel, and that its lack of sulphur and fossil-based oil makes it more environmentally friendly. The overall energy efficiency of the fuel creation process using renewable power is around 70 percent, according to Audi........
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #49

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
I used to fill up with biodiesel-15 as it is about 6% cheaper. But then realised that we were burning 10% more per hour.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #50
Guru

Sydney just banned cruise ships overnighting(day berthing, more usual, is ok)at the poorly planned White Bay cruise ship berth area, until low sulfur fuel is mandated. Main issue: White Bay lacks shorepower to run a cruise ship, while the Overseas Passenger Terminal, located east of the S H Bridge has it.
How much is this synthetic diesel per liter?
Much biodiesel here comes from used cooking oil, watch for clouds of seagulls following the "fish and chips" aroma.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #51

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
One of the interesting questions is what tax rate should apply if it is recycled and the tax has already been paid the first time.
You already know the answer to THAT question, the highest rate the politicos can get past the voters. (and it will be for "the children" of course).

Marty................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #52
FF
Guru

"I used to fill up with biodiesel-15 as it is about 6% cheaper. But then realised that we were burning 10% more per hour."

True but BIO is great gunk stripper and will loosen any garbage in a fuel tank.

The poor fuel burn might be considered an investment for a boater wishing to go offshore.

A clean fuel system is a start for clean fuel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM   #53
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Am I going to have phase separation issues with it like the ethanol gas has?
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #54
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
I just watched a very interesting presentation on these fuels on a PBS NOVA science presentation

NOVA | Algae Fuel

PS: I also remember reading about a year ago that the airlines were studying the use of biofuels (algae fuels) and figured they could operate the entire world's fleet of commercial aircraft on a production facility about the size of the rather small country of Belgium
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #55
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
And at only $257 per liter, I'll be waiting at the gas station for this next government boondoggle.

Please, Do the math!
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #56

City: louisiana
Drill Baby, Drill!!!
Attached Images

rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote