biodegradable hydraulic oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Hello,
Looking at hydraulic fluids on the market I saw that there is some biodegradable ones. Considering the fragile ecosystem we are evolving in I was thinking it may be a good idea in case of leak.
Anybody has any experience/thought/comment about it?

L.

It's quite common in the underground construction business to use vegetable oil in hydraulic rams for ditch shoring. Quite beneficial to just be able to walk away from spills without getting hazmat involved.

Still use regular hydraulic oil in the rest of the equipment.

Peanut oil is a common hydraulic fluid.

Even used in some gearboxes.

Seriously?

Yep, big stink when Presendent Johnson had a bunch of connections in the peanut farming business and the Army switched to peanut oil for some applications on Huey helos...... Pres. Johnson also had connections with Bell Helos....thus the stink.....and a lot of peanut oil ordered.

Can't vouch for all that info, but that we the buzz when I was flying hues inflight school.

Plus, the garbage trucks in Atlantic City area were using the peanut based oil when one had a massive leak that we were sent to clean up when I worked for a environmental cleanup company. That was about 10 years ago.....who knows what they use now.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/511/biodegradable-oils

Last edited:
Yep, big stink when Presendent Johnson had a bunch of connections in the pent farming business and the Army switched to peanut oil for some applications on Huey helos which Pres. Johnson also had connections with Bell Helos.

Can't vouch for all that info, but that we the buzz when I was flying hues inflight school.

Plus, the garbage trucks in Atlantic City area were using the peanut based oil when one had a massive leak that we were sent to clean up when I worked for a environmental cleanup company. That was about 10 years ago.....who knows what they use now.

Very interesting! Notice that I am not really surprise about the hydraulic part as nearly any liquid would work s peanut oil makes sense. Moreover peanut oil as a good resistance to heat. Just wondering about its behavior in cold weather and lubrication/anti wear capacity for gears. You just put the germ of curiosity in my mind, thank you!

L.

While I have been an acting environmentalist since the 60's....I have also had a dose of realism along the way......

Think Deepwater Horizon and Exxonl Valdez plus the other just as bad accidental spills...then think of your boats hydraulic fluids in ounces.....

Noble thoughts but a few oil pads in your likely leak spots is even noble compared to most.

While I totally understand your point and share it, where I m cruising is not the same as deep open ocean and far more fragile. Currently I am cruising in the middle of migrating bird nesting area in a national park, while I am really worried on having a big leak that will have a significant environmental impact I also think that if I can minimize the risk and footprint of my cruising in the area, well why not. Last year I had a leak on my cylinder that found its way to my bilge and made a mess. I would feel have felt sorry to discharge this overboard n that area.
I just did not know biodegradable hydraulic oil was existing so my interest just for my own knowledge. I saw that one available is totally incompatible with mineral oil and can result in a clog if mixed, just wondering if anybody use one r have experience, good or bad.
Anyway thank you for the peanut oil hint, did not knew that and find it very funny and interesting. :)

L.

Take a few extra gallons to deep fry everything you catch or kill or that turkey on the right day.... :)

I think you footprint is so very very small compared with the millions of tons of aviation fuel dumped every year . If aviation fuel was so bad for the environment why do planes still fly every second of every year ?? Life is now just so hard and bloody politically correct there is most likely be a department for disposal of peanut oil somewhere so just stick to regular red stuff that the manufacture recommends. BTW peanut oil is bad for some rubbers and fittings :D

Take a few extra gallons to deep fry everything you catch or kill or that turkey on the right day.... :)

lol or even to refill my tank, I have been told that it is working fine in my old venerable diesel engine :D

A lot of commercial fishermen use this product: https://www.clarionlubricants.com/do/category/GREEN_AW_OILS
Hoses break, etc., and this doesn't leave a oil sheen.
One of the "Deadliest Catch" crab boats blew a hose in Homer and got a fine of several thousand. They switched to this and swear by it.

Attachments

• Clarion_hydro_oil.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 20
Very interesting! Notice that I am not really surprise about the hydraulic part as nearly any liquid would work s peanut oil makes sense. Moreover peanut oil as a good resistance to heat. Just wondering about its behavior in cold weather and lubrication/anti wear capacity for gears. You just put the germ of curiosity in my mind, thank you!

L.
Over this past winter (Annapolis, MD area) I left a gallon jug of peanut oil outside on the boat deck. It congealed to a barely moving mass at about 20 degrees, maybe higher.

One big danger is if a hyd line brakes , and someone is unfortunate enough to get in the way , the hyd fluid in the blood stream can kill.

High pressure fluid cuts like a knife!

Don't know about peanut oil in the blood stream,

but Johney Walker Green would be my choice for a "green" fluid.

One big danger is if a hyd line brakes , and someone is unfortunate enough to get in the way , the hyd fluid in the blood stream can kill.

High pressure fluid cuts like a knife!

Don't know about peanut oil in the blood stream,

Agreed for the Johnny Walker but i reserve this one for my body hydraulic :)

JW Black or Green label is fit for human consumption. Red label is for things like hydraulic fluid substitute, cleaning the bilge, rinsing saltwater off the dog etc.

Lot's of hydraulic oil is vegetable oil based. But get hydraulic oil with an ISO rating - don't go use peanut oil or Crisco. For steering I would use the lightest weight oil I could find. ISO 32 is readily available. Just read the label to see if it is petro or vegi based. As a reference point, ATF is almost exactly the same viscosity as ISO 32, so confirmation that ISO 32 should be a fine weight to use.

Folks with ancient flax packing that needs to be greased to stop the constant dripping when not underway, can find bio eatable grease for stern lube in larger ship yards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom