Bimini/canvas in the washer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I probably should have posted this up before I did it. *I looked on the sunbrella website and they said putting it in the washer was one way to clean it. *Of course they are talking about their fabric....probably without consideration for the zippers and stuff. *Any reason why one shouldn't put a bimini in the washing machine.? *Has anybody else done this? *It is in the spin cycle as I type...on the gentle setting with extra rinse cycle.

John et-al; I did just that about 6 years ago with our bimini and it turned out great. I did do one added thing though and that was to do the wash on a sunny day and only partly dried the top in the dryer. I then took it back to the boat and installed it, damp, and let it dry on the frame. Don't know if it would have shrunk but I did not want to chance it I also sprayed some zipper lube on the zippers once everything was dry and it worked out fine. Don't know about the long term things as the bimini came off a few months later when we hauled the old girl for the re-fit and the bimini has been living in the store room since.
YMMV
John
Penta
Sidney, BC

Cool...mine went well I guess. I have not put it back on the boat. I was also curious as to whether to install it dry or wet? I think in the past I have always put my biminis on dry. But wondered if it would be easier wet???

I haven't tossed my cover in the washer - too big.
After drying I sprayed it with 303 canvas protectant. It seemed to help make it a wee bit easier to handle , resecuring it into place. It has shrunk over the 10 yrs we've had it, not a lot but enough to make it tougher to fasten.

Next time I'll try installing when wet - I'm curious too.

Back
Top Bottom