Old 10-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
My Johnson ultimas have been flawless for 3 years...maybe their quality control has slipped.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #22

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Just yesterday, I finished a bilge pump update on Smartini. Had a Rule 3700 GPH pump w/ a float switch, and a one-way valve in the outlet hose. I have:
- removed the one-way valve.
- installed a Whale Smart 650 gph pump w/ a totally contained water sensing switch, with a one-way valve in the outlet
- installed a 3-way switch for both (Off / Auto / Manual)

I shut the pumps off, filled the bilge with water (about 5 gallons or so) and turned them on. It was empty in 5 seconds, but then the water in the outlet hose of the Rule 3700 ran back into the bilge, and it took about 25 more seconds for the smaller pump to empty it.

So now I have a small pump that will extract all but about 1/3" of water, which should be the only pump that ever comes on. If it fails, or can't keep up with a leak of some sort, the two together can clear about 1 gallon per second. I'm happy!

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisske View Post
I converted over to Ultima switches this year and had one fail right after the other. I replaced both primary and secondary 2xs each before putting rules back in. (I still have a fresh one in the package that I could not stomach putting in, so if you want it, you can has the POS)
I took the last one apart and it has water intrusion. (Can you believe that!). Goddamn bilge switch has water intrusion. ... Just a damn shame since I really wanted to get away from the flipper type switches.
I too changed to the Ultima, same reason, defective flipper switches. Mine has functioned flawlessly for 4 years. Maybe a defective batch, you should request replacement or refund.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #24

City: Falmouth MA
Vessel Name: Serena
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Off thread and a bit off subject, but re float switches, a few years ago I was putzing around below in my sailboat during spring commissioning. A few inches of water in the bilge when I pulled up the floor boards so I went to the panel and flipped on the pump switch. There was an immediate small explosion and, when my heart started again, the cabin had small bits of black plastic and dirty water everywhere. The float switch had literally exploded. Fortunately, no shrapnel wounds.

There was no visible sign of any fuel seepage (it's diesel) in the bilge, before or after the explosion and I never figured out what happened. Only suspicion is that bilgewater froze over the winter, cracked the switch, and there was just enough trace fuel or other pollution in the water when it thawed to set up a volatile mixture inside the switch.

It was a West Marine cheapy, since replaced with a Rule - and I now remove it from the bilge every winter.
Joe
CapeWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #25
DBA

City: Hollywood, MD
Pilgrim bilge pumps

We have Pilgrim 40 hull #11, Dreamboat Annie. I put in a second bilge pump several years ago. For all her life until then she just had the one pump under the shaft log at the end of the bilge. The second pump is on the front of the wall that drops to the lower bilge under the Aquadrive and the iron brace across that supports the shaft. The second pump is mounted approximately 6 inches higher than the main bilge. The original pump is wired to a circuit breaker on the main panel (in the pilot house) and can be turned on and off - not necessarily good. The backup pump is wired so that it is always on, except when the boat is pulled for the winter - there is a dedicated, discrete toggle switch in the basement that has to be purposely turned off. There is also an alarm from the second pump at the panel. If water has reached that second pump, you need to get busy!

I do have a Gusher manual pump with a lot of flexible plastic hose to reach the bilge and go overboard, but I agree with others that it would be better timewise to address the leak than to attempt to get out the manual arrangement and set that up.

Have you joined the Pilgrim Owners Group? It's online through Wiki. It's a wonderful resource for Pilgrims, with some highly knowledgeable members who respond with valuable advice.

Great boats! Ted Gozzard made a terrific trawler. We are fortunate to own one, as less than 50 were made.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #26

City: Little Rock, AR
Vessel Name: Karma
Vessel Model: Lancer 44' Motorsailer
Dont forget that, on most boats under 30', a manual pump or a "bailer" (or a 5 gal bucket) are required.

West Marine sells a manual pump that draws water on both the upstroke and downstroke. The downside is that these pumps often don't have enough hose to reach overboard. I extended mine with a 10' length of shop-vac type hose.

You might think it would be better to spend your time on finding the leak, but that can be difficult to do with a foot or more of water in the bilge.

The Y-valve installation on the engine is an excellent back-up to elect/manual bilge pumps
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Ultra switches. Cost more, but you’ll never have to buy another one.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
Dont forget that, on most boats under 30', a manual pump or a "bailer" (or a 5 gal bucket) are required.

Not required by the USCG. Maybe a State reg somewhere. The USCG Auxiliary Vessel Safety Check requires a manual means but that is not law. You simply do not get a decal.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #29

City: Little Rock, AR
Vessel Name: Karma
Vessel Model: Lancer 44' Motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Not required by the USCG. Maybe a State reg somewhere. The USCG Auxiliary Vessel Safety Check requires a manual means but that is not law. You simply do not get a decal.
Oops! Turns out thats a Canadian regulation. My bad.
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post

My boat has one as a factory install. It really is pretty effective on the few times I have tested it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #31

City: Falmouth MA
Vessel Name: Serena
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA View Post
We have Pilgrim 40 hull #11, Dreamboat Annie. I put in a second bilge pump several years ago. For all her life until then she just had the one pump under the shaft log at the end of the bilge. The second pump is on the front of the wall that drops to the lower bilge under the Aquadrive and the iron brace across that supports the shaft. The second pump is mounted approximately 6 inches higher than the main bilge. The original pump is wired to a circuit breaker on the main panel (in the pilot house) and can be turned on and off - not necessarily good. The backup pump is wired so that it is always on, except when the boat is pulled for the winter - there is a dedicated, discrete toggle switch in the basement that has to be purposely turned off. There is also an alarm from the second pump at the panel. If water has reached that second pump, you need to get busy!

I do have a Gusher manual pump with a lot of flexible plastic hose to reach the bilge and go overboard, but I agree with others that it would be better timewise to address the leak than to attempt to get out the manual arrangement and set that up.

Have you joined the Pilgrim Owners Group? It's online through Wiki. It's a wonderful resource for Pilgrims, with some highly knowledgeable members who respond with valuable advice.

Great boats! Ted Gozzard made a terrific trawler. We are fortunate to own one, as less than 50 were made.
Your pump configuration sounds good. Yes, I am on our Pilgrim forum; posted the bilge pump inquiry on there prior to putting it on here. My boat is 'Serena,' hull #10.
Cheers-
Joe C.

CapeWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote