Bilge Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The previous owner painted the bilge with an unknown product. After 5 years i am still picking out the loose paint that clogs the pumps. Recommendation: Don't paint....ugly is sometimes best.

The previous owner painted the bilge with an unknown product. After 5 years i am still picking out the loose paint that clogs the pumps. Recommendation: Don't paint....ugly is sometimes best.

I tell the women that, ugly is sometimes best.
Alas, they dont believe me. SHRUG LOL

False Economy?

Why are some boaters willing to pinch pennies. We own boats worth big money but we cannot spring for correct paint for an area that is exposed to oil, fuel, saltwater etc. it just doesn’t make sense.

I agree. I'd rather be sitting at anchor or cruising somewhere that painting my bilge every couple of years or so because I wanted to save $50 or $60. Used Bilgecoat 8 years ago and it still looks like I painted it yesterday.

Expensive pain't guarantees nothing but spending more money.

Researching more inexpensive paint/alternatives can be a much smarter move.

Proper preparation!! Degrease the bilges

I don't necessarily disagree with your comments. But! When the research you do indicates the more expensive paint is best and you still go for the less expensive alternative to save money you may end up spending more than you wanted to in he end. Ask me about a long past varnish job - gross waste of money and more important time.

Won't hold up to UV but you use it as deck paint?

Used it on my 16' fishing boat and figured why not try. Some of us have more than one boat :).

I used it as a primer on my mainship 34 before painting and eventually using a EVA foam decking.

Smelly paint but it's awesome for the $$.

Why are some boaters willing to pinch pennies. We own boats worth big money but we cannot spring for correct paint for an area that is exposed to oil, fuel, saltwater etc. it just doesn’t make sense.

I have not figured that one out either.

We don't all have big money boats and i'd say many boats here are under 50k. I have about 30k into my Mainship 34 or about the cost of a new 20' skiff.

That is exactly why I am recommending Bilge Kote paint. It costs about $80 or so a gallon. And it lasts.

Bildge paint

I've used Jamestown Distributors, Total Boat bilge paint and their wet edge topside and have been pretty happy with both. Comes in gray or white

I don't necessarily disagree with your comments. But! When the research you do indicates the more expensive paint is best and you still go for the less expensive alternative to save money you may end up spending more than you wanted to in he end. Ask me about a long past varnish job - gross waste of money and more important time.

Assuming that the expensive paint comes out on top...some times it doesn't in my experience.

Last edited:
The previous owner painted the bilge with an unknown product. After 5 years i am still picking out the loose paint that clogs the pump...

I share your pain. When we bought Hobo, the PO did a terrible job on prep and we never have figured out what the paint was. With the right product and prep, it shouldn’t be peeling. We’re still finding loose paint chips. :banghead:

It is not economical to spend many hours and work cleaning materials to clean bilge then cost with poor coating ....IMO once all surfaces are clean and prep I would use the best coating product available. Penny wisepound foolish , coating failure is assured with cheap stuff.

Back
Top Bottom