Biggest Blunders or Worst Decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
We have a "Why I Love It" and "Best Modifications" thread, how about your biggest blunders or worst decisions?

I'll start with this. Bought our boat a year ago in ready to use condition and promised myself no non essential purchases for the first year. So naturally I purchased a chart plotter and radar that is never going to be installed as its of no practical use for our kind of boating. I've since discovered that the Navionics app on my iPhone much more than satisfies our need for any electronic navigation.

I have a little 20 foot bowrider. On the dash I have a large note. I/O Up? Plug in?

I have dragged the skag of my I/O up the ramp.

One time we had a boat full of kids in the boat. One kid says, "Jim is there suposed to be water around my ankles?" Plug was out. Sent my wife overboard to plug with her finger while I turned the bildge pump on, and located the plug.
I now have an automatic bilge pump.

Crossing the Yucatan Channel from Cabo San Antonio (West end of Cuba) to Isla Mujeres Mexico, with a strong cold front coming. Didn't know then what a 20-knot north wind and a 7-knot current flowing South-to-North would do to the wave formation. In case anyone doesn't know, it makes them extremely steep, with breaking tops. In my trawler I might have been dead. In a good sailboat (which I had then) I was just very uncomfortable (and very scared!) Moral: Wait for weather.

Last edited:

I had a 18' bowrider that had an old trailer with very tight rollers. At the ramp I would disconnect the winch, back it down the ramp, hit the brakes so she would come off. Well over one winter I changed out all the rollers. That spring I did my normal routine of diconnecting the winch cable and then backing down the ramp. Half way down the ramp and 15 feet from the water the boat rolled off and landed on the skeg.:banghead: The skeg had a little Free Willy bend to it.

I have a little 20 foot bowrider. On the dash I have a large note. I/O Up? Plug in?

One time we had a boat full of kids in the boat. One kid says, "Jim is there suposed to be water around my ankles?" Plug was out. Sent my wife overboard to plug with her finger while I turned the bildge pump on, and located the plug.
I now have an automatic bilge pump.

I have a Whaler Montauk I keep on a hoist, when I pick her up and pull the plug I hang the plug in the box housing the up-down switch. When I open the door the plug falls out on it's tether reminding me to install it before lowering the boat.

Wasted Impeller
Here is what happens with just 15 minutes with no water on the impeller when you leave the strainer isolated.The vanes are not even touching the casing anymore. :banghead:
Attached Thumbnails

Purchased a two decade old Skier. All in all looked great, was used gently and had low hrs w/ many additional items. Semi soft floor board under carpet on sides of inboard straight drive... seemed a no brainer to fix up. Figured I’d change flooring w/ my grandson and launch. Wellllll... I won’t get into all that I found and needed to do. Suffice it to say I must be more careful when it comes to potential wood rot in not just flooring of old FRP open boats. The way they built that boat made it destined to rot... mfger could have avoided all that with some inexpensive precautions. Guess they figured hard to file a claim after 20 yrs - LOL :facepalm:

Been 4 + decades since I had been attacking (following) rot on boats while working in boat yards as a kid in NY and Maine. Man – I Hate pervasive wood rot in boats! :nonono:

Must have "accidentally" snagged shifter and put boat into reverse on way out of pilothouse door while hopping onto dock with bow line in hand. Managed to get a wrap around piling but wife saved the day before line went tight or anything was hit.

No witnesses :D

Spent two days getting back to the United States in fog from Nova Scotia and made it safely to harbor and took a mooring ball. Shut the boat down and proceeded to relax when a harbor master boat pulled alongside and told us we had to move because the mooring ball we were on was private. The employee pointed out another ball 50 yards away that we could take.

Fired up engine, dropped the mooring line and took off straight for the other mooring ball ---- without turning on the chart plotter. $18,000 (US) in damage as we ended up on rocks.

My helm now has a sign with the name of that harbor as a reminder to always assume we are going to sea no matter how short the distance.

Marty

This is a doozy...

The year was 2003. I had been boating all of a couple years.

I was making my first inside passage trip, and overnight end at the Prince Rupert Yacht Club in Prince Rupert BC.

Got up in the morning and listened to the weather forecast. It was calling for 3-5's in Dixon entrance. It was early and I said I can handle 3-5' waves in my 20000 pound 660 horsepower 34' boat. So off I went.

Well, it was bad...really bad. I got caught in a tailing sea so bad I could not turn around. Huge waves. Every cabinet emptied to the deck. Stuff everywhere. We were holding on for dear life.

We made it. I learned allot about rough water piloting that day.

I also learned at the Canadians measure their seas in meters. :blush:

Last time I yelped at the Admiral, in frustration while trying to stern tie the boat into a tough spot,

Long story short.

I ended up in very cold water . The Admiral and my pop had one hell of a laugh!

That has to be 14 - 15 years ago , yes I learned my lesson, ask nice !

Amazing stories! I've shared this one before but I took Sherpa through 6 foot seas in Tampa Bay--we were heading home from an overnighter at Egmont and were attempting to beat a storm. Not pleasant. We took several waves that sent spray over the wheel house. Worst part is my wife got very sea sick. :eek:

Fired up engine, dropped the mooring line and took off straight for the other mooring ball ---- without turning on the chart plotter. $18,000 (US) in damage as we ended up on rocks.

Ouch! ... I'm still trying to think of a significantly poor boating decision. Not that there weren't mishaps which have been previously described on TF.

Last edited:

Marty

Just thinking of the sound that must have come from hitting those rocks makes me sick. What a terrible lesson. Every time I scratch my boat, I feel as if I have let it down, as though it is something only entrusted to me....like I have failed it. I can deal with the money, but the shame!:nonono: Bay Pelican is such a beautiful, graceful vessel.

Must have "accidentally" snagged shifter and put boat into reverse on way out of pilothouse door while hopping onto dock with bow line in hand. Managed to get a wrap around piling but wife saved the day before line went tight or anything was hit.

No witnesses :D

That doesn't count.

This is a doozy...

Yikes!

Can't imagine that stretch of water in 15' seas...Skeena River sand banks to port, Hecate Strait to starboard :eek:

Last edited:
A bit off topic perhaps but appropriate to the thread. When we bought our first brand new out of the box boat (1988 SeaRay Sundancer 300) the admiral and I picked it up from the dealer and motored across the Long Island Sound to a restaurant on the water to have a celebratory lunch. We docked next to a motor yacht of about 50 feet in length. As we stood there admiring it, a fellow in a small outboard boat lost control of his docking maneuver and smacked right into the big yacht making a foot long scratch in the side. The owner of the yacht came dashing out of the cabin, looked at the damage, turned to the fellow in the little boat that hit his boat and simply told him to forget about it and to go enjoy his lunch.

We stood there astounded at the gentleman's composure. I asked him how he remained so calm seeing the damage to his beautiful boat. He replied "it's just a boat." So to this day, no matter what we may damage on our boat unintentionally, if no one is hurt, we look at each other and say "it's just a boat." You'd be amazed at the power of that simple philosophy. Try it, you'll like it.

Spent two days getting back to the United States in fog from Nova Scotia and made it safely to harbor and took a mooring ball. Shut the boat down and proceeded to relax when a harbor master boat pulled alongside and told us we had to move because the mooring ball we were on was private. The employee pointed out another ball 50 yards away that we could take.

My helm now has a sign with the name of that harbor as a reminder to always assume we are going to sea no matter how short the distance.

Marty

Marty.. I will share mine so you don't feel alone

We ( my entire family ) met up with my best and most critical world cruising friends a few years ago up in a bay in B.C.

Many margaritas were shared by all the night before " the incident"

We needed to leave early to get to and through a particularly swift set of rapids on our way South .. so I got up solo at Dawn's crack and fired up Volunteer to skate out of the Harbor. I had the anchor stowed and I was still firing up systems as we passed my bud, standing on deck in his jammies in the early dawn light while saluting as we passed close by.

Fifteen seconds later we slid across a rock the size of a house in a boat with about a foot less depth than draft...

Oh the humility!

Circling back to the anchorage to check for damage we rafted up to my friends boat. Surprisingly not a mention of my major blunder was made .. or in the years after... just a raised eyebrow and a shake of the head.

The bummer was I lost the ability to ever again harass him about running into one of the biggest , brightly yellow painted buoys in the Pacific Northwest while his Admiral read a book in the cockpit and he went below to have his morning movement.. In his Admiral's defense she was not on watch..

A subsequent dive after I got home a couple days later showed loss of a couple feet of bottom paint on the keel.

HOLLYWOOD

ok - confession time.

I was out for a several day cruise with a buddy and run into a very rough weather and minor mechanical problems which put us behind schedule. We didn't arrive at our planned stop Wirrina Cove marina until well after dark. The cabin was a mess with the contents spilled out of some of the cabinets.

I hadn't been to the marina for several years and never in the dark. I asked my buddy to grab the spotlight as there was no moon and the lighting at the marina entrance was non-existent. He couldn't find the spotlight in the mess of the cabin, but I continued to proceed. I slowly negotiated past the breakwater into the dark calm water. We breathed a sigh of relief, halving escaped the rough waters. The lights at the marina were bright, but it made it difficult to see the immediate area in front of us.

I turned towards the main dock, squinting against the bright lights ahead. Suddenly I noticed a steel pylon about a foot off the starboard bow. :eek: At the same time my buddy is yelling and pointing off the starboard bow. :eek::eek: Somehow, we slid between these two steel pylons unscathed, with inches to spare on either side.

I had forgotten about the old ferry docking terminal which was there, which consisted of 6 of these steel pylons connected in pairs by a horizontal beam about 4 feet above the water line. I happened to pass through the only gap possible. Anywhere else on 50 feet of either side would have resulted in mass destruction.:nonono:
Thank you Poseidon.

>proceeded to relax when a harbor master boat pulled alongside and told us we had to move because the mooring ball we were on was private.<

Picking up a private mooring is very common and ONLY the owner returning really has the right to kick you off. Not some water buroRAT.

In more civilized areas the boats name and tonnage will be on the mooring ball, to help folks pick a useful mooring.

Yikes!

Can't imagine that stretch of water in 15' seas...Skeena River sand banks to port, Hecate Strait to starboard :eek:

The Skeena and Hecate would have been well behind him by then.

Dixon Entrance is a real boat and crew tester when ebb tide and winds are plus 25 knots from the WSW. Three years ago when trying to cross we decided hole up in Dundas Is as 35 - 40 knot gales were blowing. After 2 days we finally ventured out and it was still nasty but moderating. We were running // with a Nordhavn 64 for the crossing and ended up talking with the Capt. in Ketchikan later in the day. He remarked on how bad the crossing was for him, especially with the new owner leaning over the rail for most of the trip. By mid the next day the owner was once again enjoying cocktail hour and his new boat - at the dock!

I had posted this story a while back, but thought it might fit in this thread. In hindsight, we were pretty lucky, and learned a thing or two, in this episode:

Some years ago, we were on our first SE Alaska cruise in our C-Dory 22. We had worked our way north from Sitka, toward Cross Sound and Elfin Cove along the outside of Chichagof Island, and ducked inside some of the small islands just north of the Khaz peninsula via an intricate route called Piehle Passage. Back outside maybe 15 miles further north at Imperial passage, and then back into protected waters at Lisianski Strait. Weather was fine, we loved that run.

Two weeks later we headed back south along the same route, anchoring for the night halfway down to Sitka. This time we had with us a guest, who had never seen waters any wilder than Lake Powell.

Next morning the SW wind was up to 15 knots or so, but it didn't look too bad. We were inexperienced interpreting barometer changes for weather prediction, and were out of weather radio range.

We proceeded down through Piehle Passage, poked our nose out of the narrow opening, and found we were heading into 8-10 foot relatively gentle waves. Thought they might be just swells piling up as they came in to shallower water there, and if we crossed them to deeper water it might be OK to head SSE on the outside, down toward Sitka. Turned out to be not such a fine idea.

Just outside the narrow exit into open water, we manage to get kelp wrapped around our 90hp outboard, shutting off the water flow and activating the overheat alarm. (We might have remembered, from our northward trip, that the big kelp patch was there). We shut down the motor.

Now we’re in big waves, on a rocky lee shore, without power. I fire up the 9.9hp kicker (it started right away, thankfully), but then we could go only basically straight out into the waves while the big motor cooled down. So I sit out in the rain steering the kicker, watching the bow go up and down ever higher for maybe 15 minutes, while every so often Cindy tries the big motor, until finally it comes on without the alarm. By this time we're a mile or so offshore, and the waves are getting really big. I come back into the cabin, and we try to figure out what to do.

Don't want to head SSE to Sitka, because there would be 15 miles of unprotected water and the waves in our face are already up to 15+ feet. Wind is only maybe 20 knots, but later we learned that the waves tend to pile up especially big in that area (where the bottom comes up from very deep to only 100 feet or so) when the wind comes from certain directions. After all, there’s nothing west of us until the Aleutians.

We don't want to go back into Piehle Passage, because of the kelp, and the narrow rocky entrance. We decide to go with the wind and waves, NNW 8 miles to Khaz Bay, a much wider opening. Heading that way is tricky, as over toward the shore there are big rocks just below the surface. They create huge explosions of spray when the water is moving up and down that far. On and off from the massive wave tops we can see these boomers, looming out there in the rain.

The waves keep driving us closer toward the boomers, and we decide we'll never make it on this course, so we have to bear left. The size and steepness of the waves keep us from going just a bit left, so we have to tack WSW to gain sea room, then come back to our desired NNW course. After a mile or two of WSW, we turn back NNW, eventually get to the mouth of Khaz Bay, and slide in to safe anchorage.

We had estimated the following seas at 15-25 feet. While Cindy was navigating, I had been concentrating on steering and continually adjusting the throttle, so we would climb up the back of a wave, slow down and mush through the top of it, then maintain our heading down to the next trough, not going so fast as to stick our nose into the next wave. The C-Dory was so good! We never once took green water over the bow, in maybe 1.5 or 2 hours of this (we were too busy to look at a watch - sure wish I had videotape). I would hate to try the same thing in our present much bow-heavier deep-V boat.

At anchor later, whilst thanking our lucky stars (with the gin bottle out), we were scanning the radio and listened in on two commercial fishermen who had been out in the same stuff in a 38 and a 54-footer. They clearly had not enjoyed it. We broke in, told of our adventure, and asked them how big they thought the seas had been. They said 20 to 30 feet, with an occasional 35. Thank you again, C-Dory!

Over the next three days we moved north some on the inside, and then holed up in Portlock Harbor (still out of VHF weather broadcast range), waiting for the seas to moderate. We tried poking outside three times (~10 nm each time), and each time came back in with our tail between our legs. We called fishermen who were on the outside for conditions reports, and finally got one that said waves were down to halfway reasonable. We asked him if he thought we’d be OK in our 22-footer, and he said yes.

We knew we were low on fuel, but had not yet calibrated the fuel gauge, so we weren't quite sure how low. We thought we ought to take a shot at it - didn't know how many more look-see's our fuel would allow us. As we came out of Imperial Passage heading north, he called us back. He had been talking to his mate, and revised his opinion. “You could make it, but it sure won’t be a cake-walk.”

At that point we figured we had to continue or risk running out of gas. I hoped that if we at least got well inside Lisianski Strait we might be fairly safe, and could maybe get a tow if we ran out. Two hours of 10-15 footers later, with our hearts still up in our throats, we gratefully rounded the nun into the mouth of Lisianski, and began to relax. Pulled into Pelican, refueled, and found we had been down to 5 gallons of gas – maybe fifteen miles worth.

It was ten years before our guest was willing to travel SE Alaska with us again.

1995CindyandCindySea.jpg

Biggest blunder covers a lot of waterfront. ONE of mine happened on a borrowed runabout. My brother-in-law and I were fishing in Breach Inlet near Charleston, SC, almost underneath the highway bridge. We'd been having problems all morning with the outboard stalling as soon as we put it in gear. The incoming tide started running pretty hard and we wanted to fish the backwaters, so I started the motor, goosed it to prevent a stall and started accelerating -- too fast -- under the bridge. My brother-in-law was sitting in the bow, facing aft.

People fish from this bridge and I noticed, as we emerged from underneath, some monofilament draped over my brother-in-law's shoulder. I realized at the speed we were already going we were going to bring the hook up and it might snag him, so I just reacted. I jumped up, grabbed the monofilament, struggled with it for a moment, and then managed to break it. Steve told me that it all happened so quickly he didn't have time to tell me to stop. He saw an elderly lady on the bridge with her fishing rod bowed double and an expression on her face like she'd just hooked the largest fish of her life. Then the rod sailed out of her hand and into Breach Inlet just as I broke and threw down both pieces of line. Good bye rod and reel.

Her two adult sons, who looked pretty rough, were literally dancing with rage and screaming obscenities at us. The boat had stalled again, but I finally got it going and went ashore to face the music. The rod and reel, it turns out, were a gift from her dear departed husband and according to the elderly lady and her sons, there was simply nothing to equal them on planet Earth. Nevertheless, I apologized profusely, and invited them to go to the store on the Isle of Palms side of the inlet and pick out any rod and reel she wanted--on me. I was pretty sure I'd be buying the fanciest Penn rig they stocked. Lo and behold, she fell in love with a $20 Zebco combo that she said was just like the one her husband had given her. I also bought her a new bait bucket and some mud minnows and we all parted on friendly terms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom