Old 06-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I've passed over this thread a few times without commenting as I've had big boats and small boats. Both have their place.

Last night I slept on my boat (no, the relationship with my wife is fine!) and found that the sink was a little small for brushing my teeth, the bed, although it has a custom innerspring mattress, was queen size and not my custom king size I'm used to, the settee in the salon was not as soft as my powered recliner at home, the micro wave was mounted a little too low for my viewing enjoyment & I encountered dew on my leather cushions when I went out to enjoy the evening. Then it hit me! I didn't buy this boat to take my house with me...I bought it to have some semblance of "soft adventure" without the obvious discomforts of camping! I bought the smallest boat I could find with the amenities we decided we had to have.

Conclusion? Bigger is not better! My boat is fully capable of delivering a "soft adventure" without taking the house with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	20358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	20359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3393.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	20360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	20361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2114.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	20362  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
This got me thinking about all those questions that new/prospective boat owners post here about what to look for in boats.Assuming an annual running time of the boat underway of 150 hours a year
For those talking about liveaboards I concede your point. But with all due respect this thread was started with the premise quoted above. I hardly think and doubt any of you liveaboards or long distance cruisers think you use your boats 150 hours per year or less.

Walt your post absolutely nailed it IMO. those of us that do not liveaboard have no real "need" for all the comforts of home.

Living aboard and long distance cruising may be some people's goal and many others dream but the fact is most boats never see 150 hours use per year.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
We are on our boat every fri-sun and agree w most everything Andy said, other than the ice maker. Love that thing. . We also have a dishwasher (on our 35 footer). Every individual will have their own list of "necessities". We've drooled over many a larger boat but in reality we've no need for more space.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
absolutely correct...150 hours or less is the amount of wilderness tent camping time I enjoyed with the Boy Scouts per year as a leader...so just about any boat could do....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #25

Interesting thread indeed. We use our boat (GB36) less than once a month and I think we would use it more if it were bigger. Bigger = separate shower stall, walk around bed, room for a recliner, etc...

But I must be patient as I have a kid that is starting college and another to follow in 3 years. College for both will cost me the price of a nice used N46.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The sea can be very unforgiving at times. Mother Nature doesn't care how much our dock fees run. Bigger, simpler and more robust will keep you safe, comfortable and happy whether your inshore or off. The key term I think is "robust". That is the quality Mother Nature notices.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #27

City: Portland OR
I'm totally with SeaHorseII and Craig on this one. My philosophy is also to buy the smallest boat I could afford.

As others have said, it all depends on the purpose and use of the boat. For a liveaboard or serious transoceanic cruising, a 30 footer is probably not going to cut it. If the boat is also a home, then bigger is better.

But, for many of us (myself included), the boat is a 150 hour a year weekend and vacation getaway. I may have fantasies of living aboard or crossing oceans, but, that just isn't going to happen at this point in our lives. I have found the old adage to be true - the smaller the boat, the more you use it (and vice versa). And that is the point for us - to have something that serves our needs of being comfortable and seaworthy, but easy enough to be single-handed - and with minimal maintenance.

I have known so many boaters to whom 'bigger is better' is an absolute. They buy their boats by the pound, and buy the biggest one they can possibly afford. It usually doesn't work out so well. For a given amount of money, a bigger boat usually means older, or not as good condition or as well built, which invariably means more work and less reliability.

The last boat one friend of mine bought was the very biggest he could afford. He ended up putting twice as much into it as he originally paid, replacing engines, transmissions, generator, electrical system, air conditioning, etc. etc., it just went on and on. It broke down so often that he now rarely takes it away from the dock, and it's essentially a floating, stationary condo (and now is probably worth about half of what he originally paid, despite all the money poured into it).

If that's what the use of the boat is - a weekend condo, with little actual underway use planned - then sure, go for it, the bigger the better to literally have a weekend home. But, if the intended use is to actually go out on the water, and maximize the time using the boat rather than repairing it, I'll stick with buying the smallest, newest, best built, highest quality - meaning, most reliable and least trouble - boat I can afford.

(But then, if I could ever convince my wife to move aboard full time, I'll probably be looking to trade some newness and quality for size!)
Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For life we currently live - We call this PUUUURRRFFFEEECCCCTTTT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	20365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	20367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	20368  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
For life we currently live - We call this PUUUURRRFFFEEECCCCTTTT!
What! No banjo or harmonica in the pics!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
At the recent Sanctuary Cove Boat Show I deliberately applied the 'how often would I (get to) take this boat out if I owned it ..? There were some real beauties. One in particular made me think of Walt, as it is like the big brother to his Gourmet Cruiser, but not too much bigger. In fact I took a pic for him, it is a...no...let's see who can guess.

As to the answer to my rule of thumb, I decided the biggest boat there I could really use, in terms of ease of running short handed and the draft, was the new Integrity 380. Second pic. Otherwise, all the other lovely roomy larger vessels I could only justify if wealthy enough to walk away from work, and live aboard, and really go cruising. By that I mean round Australia stuff, and maybe even wider afield. Otherwise, my Lotus can and does do everything I need...except a Queen double instead of v berth, now that I could live with.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	20374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	20375  
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #31
Guru

Pete, I think I can i/d the first, I`ll be quiet, except to say it is one of the best looking boats around, with (local) build quality to match, the look of a day boat and features of a live-aboard; while the lntegrity 380, more utilitarian, updates the best of Halvorsen design. Both desirable boats.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I fell into a big boat 65' a couple of years ago. What some consider big the next person considers a cramped less than a boat kinda boat. If your looking, the last thing I would worry about is size. I think mine will be cramped when put in service, simply because I plan on having several families with us. I hope to be the focal point of many weekend trips and a "destination" of sorts. I don't look at a boat as a get away, I think work and dirt life is a get away from what we are ment to do. If all you want is a plush camping experience than get a small boat. If all you think about when your working or mowing the grass is fishing and swimming and being on the water than get a boat that suits your wants, not your needs.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
One in particular made me think of Walt, as it is like the big brother to his Gourmet Cruiser, but not too much bigger.
At first glance, I thought it was a 38' Gourmet Cruiser but the windows and the stern (what I can see of it) aren't right. My guess is a "San Juan" or a "Hinkley" but I really don't have a clue. At that length, my favorite boat is the Gourmet Cruiser. You Aussies design some really nice boats! (And strong, too!)

38' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	38' Gourmet Cruiser copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	20408  

Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
At first glance, I thought it was a 38' Gourmet Cruiser but the windows and the stern (what I can see of it) aren't right. My guess is a "San Juan" or a "Hinkley" but I really don't have a clue. At that length, my favorite boat is the Gourmet Cruiser. You Aussies design some really nice boats! (And strong, too!)

38' Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser
Looks like a modernized Stephens, Matthews, or Richardson from the 30's / 40's.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Interesting thread indeed. We use our boat (GB36) less than once a month and I think we would use it more if it were bigger. Bigger = separate shower stall, walk around bed, room for a recliner, etc...
Ah, that is due to the style, not the size! that is not a criticism, we love GBs. We have the same (actually one foot smaller) size boat but a sundeck and we have a walk around bed and a shower stall. no recliner though. I certainly appreciate that sundecks are not to everyone's taste.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Ah, that is due to the style, not the size! that is not a criticism, we love GBs. We have the same (actually one foot smaller) size boat but a sundeck and we have a walk around bed and a shower stall. no recliner though. I certainly appreciate that sundecks are not to everyone's taste.
Jennifer, Pineapple Girl... as it clearly seems you and your Capt do too...

Admiral, Linda and Capt, Art simply LOVE our Tolly's Sun Deck and Bridge!

Use em all the time - Ain't the Delta FUN!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
s it is like the big brother to his Gourmet Cruiser, but not too much bigger. In fact I took a pic for him, it is a...no...let's see who can guess.
It's a Palm Beach xx'.......

http://www.pbmotoryachts.com/index.html

I was just laughing this morning as a Sabre came in, also using my integrated mast/radar base design, this one (on the PB) is a bit clunky, but "borrowed" none the less......

The PB is certainly a very nice looking boat, but I can't help worrying about visibility forward from the helm when underway??
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #38
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post
It's a Palm Beach xx'.......

I was just laughing this morning as a Sabre came in, also using my integrated mast/radar base design, this one (on the PB) is a bit clunky, but "borrowed" none the less......

The PB is certainly a very nice looking boat, but I can't help worrying about visibility forward from the helm when underway??
That's primary reason why I appreciate... "Flying Bridge"... for sight line to water over raised bow at speed.

I don't drive cars at speed with hood up blocking view of highway either!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I would have guessed San Juan as well. That PB sure is a beauty!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Don't tell my wife this as she is under the impression that such amenities are only found in 50' pilothouse boats. Besides, she misses having a cockpit with a gate to the swimstep where she can just step on and off the dinghy.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote