A big project, for me, going on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donna - doing the same with my boat. Can you be more specific about the wall covering you're using? Sounds worthy of consideration for my project.

Search google for removable peal and stick wallpaper. There will be many hits. I used it in my galley well over a year ago and had to remove a piece recently. I had never no problem removing it and replacing it. (I changed out a thermostat) always buy a little extra so the dye lots will be the same.

Attachments

• 28880FBC-BAAB-4079-B286-F085A1048B5A.jpg
    28880FBC-BAAB-4079-B286-F085A1048B5A.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 101
Oh c’mon, really? Looked good in the preview. Anyway, the silver is paper and you can see the thermostat change. The “glass tile” is also peel and stick and that too is a fabulous product!

Last edited:
For interior wood projects, in hard to find thicknesses, Baltic Birch is often the answer.
It comes in metric sizes only, so you should look for 10mm. It has thinner ply than ordinary and "marine" plywood, and no voids. The surface is much lighter in colour than other types of wood, but you are going to cover it with paper, so don't mind the colour.

Too dark ? Lighten it up with 4X8 or 4X10 pebble textured, tub surround sheets of FRP from Home depot.

Attachments

• Tub Surround.jpg
    Tub Surround.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 107
and if you dont want all or some pebbled...they have a smooth version too....

what do you back the thin frp with? I have a white material in my heads(it may be Formica over foam) and it has cracked all the way through so I would need to attach it to something .

While doing this work, has anybody added insulation for cold climates?

While doing this work, has anybody added insulation for cold climates?

2" blue foam insulation cut into 2" planks, glued to the hull. it is imperative that the edges be sealed (we used silicone) to prevent air getting between hull and foam.

Attachments

• winter home 1.jpg
    winter home 1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 330
2" blue foam insulation cut into 2" planks, glued to the hull. it is imperative that the edges be sealed (we used silicone) to prevent air getting between hull and foam.

Thanks.

"Used to be that only exterior grade ply had waterproof glue. The industry may have changed whereby all ply has WP glue. I'm pretty sure Luan does not have WP glue"

Simple , get a scrap piece and boil it for 30 min or so .If it falls apart , don't use it on board.

The difference between marine ply is also the layering of the plys.

If the multiple layers are the Same thickness its good stuff, if its a thin layer of something over a thick middle core , beware.

Furniture ply will have better construction than house grade.

I bit the bullet and purchased a 2x4 sheet of marine grade ply. 50.00 plus 30 for shipping. I like to do things right. When and if I sell the boat, I will be able to sleep at night.

Thanks Donna and Fred. Guess I don't get out enough - never heard of this stuff.

Shoot me! :banghead:

Attachments

• 545A5525-26AB-454B-8231-477457344610.jpg
    545A5525-26AB-454B-8231-477457344610.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 3763D6A4-42E2-4048-B48C-95F7C8EC21E9.jpg
    3763D6A4-42E2-4048-B48C-95F7C8EC21E9.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 119
have you expanded your project ? is that even in the cabin?

have you expanded your project ? is that even in the cabin?

Yes, the project was expanded. BUT instead of me doing the work, I hired out. Huge mistake. Now it is taking me twice as long as if I did it from the get go. Fired the guy. I hope to finish on Sunday.

That galley shot really looked good. I am no interior decorator, but the colors and textures looked great without being too busy. Would like to see more.

Good Luck with the big job.

That galley shot really looked good. I am no interior decorator, but the colors and textures looked great without being too busy. Would like to see more.

Good Luck with the big job.

The tile in the galley is also going on the shelf of the last picture posted. I was supposed to work today but finished up early yesterday. Back at the boat to finish that project. Stay tuned for pics!

She is almost done. Until the nest project of course, lol!

Attachments

• 80296000-283E-4DD6-BC58-961012DA524D.jpg
    80296000-283E-4DD6-BC58-961012DA524D.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1A7D6597-6F93-44E0-9EB0-E710FC78A6CE[1].jpg
    1A7D6597-6F93-44E0-9EB0-E710FC78A6CE[1].jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 112C4A5A-AD78-4184-9ACC-62DA54978CC3[2].jpg
    112C4A5A-AD78-4184-9ACC-62DA54978CC3[2].jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great...bet it feels good!

Thank you to whoever rotated my pictures! I don’t know who’s picture that is of the eating area? That one is not mine. I have a full galley starboard to port.

that looks nice . do you have pics of the starboard side?

Thank you to whoever rotated my pictures! I don’t know who’s picture that is of the eating area? That one is not mine. I have a full galley starboard to port.

Ops, sorry. I deleted it. It got added when I corrected the orientation. .:facepalm:

Did you make those valances yourself? They’re very cute.

I use my iPad mostly to use the forums. I found that if I go into my photo album, click edit on the photo then rotate is 360 degrees and then save it, it will upload to this site correctly.

Thank you Larry!

Yes I made the valances.

The starboard side still needs the compass tray mounted but the tile is finished. Just waiting for the ceytol to dry then I’ll post the finish picture!

This is starboard galley. Working from an iPhone. Impossible to rotate then. Ugh

Attachments

• flip.jpg
    flip.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
It’s just lovely. You are quite impressive!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom