Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #1

City: Destin, Florida
Big Bend Crossing

I am purchasing a 31' Albin in St. Petersburg Florida. Need to take boat to Destin, Florida. Can someone tell me about the crossing between Tarpon Springs and Carrabelle Florida? Cruising about 12 knots, how many hrs across? Better to follow the bend or shoot straight across. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
dive1unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I always leave from Clearwater. It is about 150 nautical miles from there if you go straight across. It would probably be an overnight at this time of the year. I prefer to shoot straight across if you have confidence in your vessel and pick your weather window carefully. Not sure what the Albin draws but there are not many ports that have any water depth getting into them at this time of the year in the Big Bend. I leave early afternoon and get in the next morning.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dive1unlimited View Post
I am purchasing a 31' Albin in St. Petersburg Florida. Need to take boat to Destin, Florida. Can someone tell me about the crossing between Tarpon Springs and Carrabelle Florida? Cruising about 12 knots, how many hrs across? Better to follow the bend or shoot straight across. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
At 12 knots you are probably looking at about a 12 hour crossing from Tarpon Springs. If a night crossing gives you pause, You may look at starting out in the very early morning hours to make certain you arrive at Dog Island in daylight. It is a good inlet, but not bouyed too well.

As you get into the Carabelle entrance channel watch for the sharp left turn. You do not want to miss it. The current in the Carabelle River can be quite strong. I prefer if enough daylight left to go on the Appalachicola. There is much more there.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
As noted, pretty straightforward crossing. You are above most of the crab pots and there is little or no commercial traffic. I usually make a straight run of it due to draft, not much water near shores. Anything other than North wind it should be fine.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
In our Monk we make the crossing an overnight trip, but that is cruising about 7-7.5 statute MPH. We made the trip twice in our Camano which is faster but we went Caravelle to Steinhatchee and Crystal River, both nice stops but it is quite a along haul to get in to them from the Gulf. Ok, if you are cruising not so much if on a "delivery" type trip.
Here is a number for NOAA in Jacksonville, Fla. (850) 942-8833 you can phone them for live, updated Gulf conditions along the route.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I have crossed this time of the year and I can tell you that there is not much daylight. You should calculate your speed with that in mind. Arriving offshore of Carabelle at 4 AM is no fun when daylight is at 7.

An additional factor to consider is weather. Cold fronts are back to back causing it to get very rough out there.

I believe that I would do the bend and run only in daylight hours. Your speed will be an advantage and your draft is very do able for the ports.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #7
Guru

Steve,
What are the depths getting into Steinhatchee and Crystal River at low tide at this time of the year? I always wanted to go into these ports but the only time that I have opportunity is in the winter when the water is down.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
The controlling depth is given as 5.5' for Steinhatchee Low tide with a N. or NE wind I would think it would be around 4'. Numerous boats come out of there fishing every morning you could probably raise one of them and get a first hand report.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Steve,
What are the depths getting into Steinhatchee and Crystal River at low tide at this time of the year? I always wanted to go into these ports but the only time that I have opportunity is in the winter when the water is down.
Roger we went in a couple weeks ago 75 minutes off low tide lowest we had was 6
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Guru

siestakey, which port did you have 6 foot on? Be cool if these ports worked. The admiral is not much into the overnight passages. Not the seas that are an issue for her, it is the lack of sleep.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We stopped at Steihatchee a couple of years ago. Stayed at SeaHag Marina. I docked and went in to ask how much for a slip. The lady told me $ .50 a foot, then asked if we had BoatUs. I told her yes and she said you get a 25% discount then. $ .37 a foot. Cheapest dockage I have ever got. We ended up staying about 9 days. Beautiful little fishing town. Nice pizza restaurant that you can dingy to. We drew 4' and never got close. It was December when we were there.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We were in our Camano, draft 39" it was in Mid April. I don't recall the depth but remember the channel being well marked and no "pucker factor" it is shallow with clumps of "rocks" in places out of the channel so don't miss any markers even if it seems you are a long way out. Same for Crystal River.
We did the trip in 2007 so things may have changed. You might want to check the Navigation tabs for markers and marinas in those areas on the Active Captain. We enjoyed both stops. We also stopped at Cedar Key it was a fairly long convoluted but well marked channel in And not much to see once there that also may have changed.
If you aren't familiar with Apalachicola it is a very nice stop.
Good luck
Old 12-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #13
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Here is a number for NOAA in Jacksonville, Fla. (850) 942-8833 you can phone them for live, updated Gulf conditions along the route.
I did not have phone service... not even texting which will work when phone calls won't. Ditto my internet connection didn't. I'm on Verizon which generally has been better than others in this region.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Steve,
Seahag end slip but I think the hotel one may be better
Old 12-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
A few years back we were delivering a boat from Sarosota to Destin. The weather was snotty, so we were weathered in at Steinhatchee for about 3 days. We were at River Haven Marina just above the bridge. The folks could not have been nicer. Plus they are on the town side, so a short walk to shopping.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #16

City: Michigan Lake Huron
Vessel Name: MV - Calusa
Vessel Model: 28 Cape Dory Hard top Cruiser
Monk 36 fuel burn at 7 7.5 Knots

I am considering a late model 36 Monk I.E. built in Nova Scotia - what is your gal per hour at (7-7.5 statute MPH - or - 6.3 Knots).

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
In our Monk we make the crossing an overnight trip, but that is cruising about 7-7.5 statute MPH. We made the trip twice in our Camano which is faster but we went Caravelle to Steinhatchee and Crystal River, both nice stops but it is quite a along haul to get in to them from the Gulf. Ok, if you are cruising not so much if on a "delivery" type trip.
Don Shephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Shephard View Post
I am considering a late model 36 Monk I.E. built in Nova Scotia - what is your gal per hour at (7-7.5 statute MPH - or - 6.3 Knots).

Don
YOu should repost this in another thread it is on a thread called Big Bend Crossing and you may not get the answer you want or need
Old 01-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #18

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Would anyone recommend making the passage in a 28' - 30' single engine diesel? I'm looking at a couple boats in SW Florida and may have to decide how to get one home (NW Florida) if I buy one. I'm not too worried about weather/seakeeping - -I would wait for good conditions -- but I would like to be within 50 miles of a TowBoatUS port in a new-to-me single engine boat.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I've done that trip many times (our home port is Carrabelle). I don't think you will have issues with depths in the Stienhatchee River unless you have a HUGE minus tide associated with a very strong cold front and a spring tide. Even then you would have to veer out of the channel which is well marked.

If you get a stronger North wind than you want you can carefully run the the 10' depth contour around the bend and get a much smoother ride as you will be in the lee. Just watch your plotter/charts and keep your eyes open as there are a few shoals you have to skirt. Water is pretty clear this time of the year so you can see the shoals.

Don's advice on the Carrabelle river is spot on. It can be confusing to pick up the river mouth as it is around a bend and next to a big bay. Hard to explain but the river mouth is tough to see until you are almost in it. Great spot though and once in deep, deep, deep and well marked.

MrJim, the run is about like any other...do you trust the boat and your skills? There are tow boat US offices in Steinhatchee, Crystal River, St. Marks, Tarpon Springs and Carrabelle, maybe more that i missed.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote