Beware of third party "for fee" boat documentation providers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My application was submitted at the end of November. I received the Certificate of Documentation at the very end of March! Major slowdowns in processing.

My application was submitted at the end of November. I received the Certificate of Documentation at the very end of March! Major slowdowns in processing.

Your application was sitting on someone’s desk during the govt shutdown. I’m sure they are still trying to recover from that

Your application was sitting on someone’s desk during the govt shutdown. I’m sure they are still trying to recover from that

Wifey B: Absolutely their situation. They were really in good shape before, but playing catch up is hard. Right now they're at May 13 on renewals, March 21 on initial, November 5 on Mortgages. Prior to the shut down they were within a month or less on initial documentation and 7 days on renewals I think. :eek:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2491da8

I just got mine..... Seems the PO cant find me again so, they returned it.... It was then sent to my PO Box.
Interestingly, it expires 2024. By then, I should be wearing a drool bib, duct taped in a wheel chair.

I just got mine..... Seems the PO cant find me again so, they returned it.... It was then sent to my PO Box.
Interestingly, it expires 2024. By then, I should be wearing a drool bib, duct taped in a wheel chair.

Nice, so does that mean that the USCG official documentation is now 5 years? I knew it was coming, or at least being talked about. That's a huge improvement if it's finally been implemented.

Same price though...you can renew for 1-5 years...$26 x whatever you want.

Nice, so does that mean that the USCG official documentation is now 5 years? I knew it was coming, or at least being talked about. That's a huge improvement if it's finally been implemented.

Yup, that's the deal, every 5 years.

I agree with TT. That's a huge improvement! It's the renewal process that's the PITA, not the fee. I'll gladly pay 5 years in advance to go through 1/5th of the hassle.

I agree with TT. That's a huge improvement! It's the renewal process that's the PITA, not the fee. I'll gladly pay 5 years in advance to go through 1/5th of the hassle.

I'm glad they came up with (up to) 5 year renewal, but PITA? Hardly. I got on their website and it took 2, maybe 3 minutes and I'm done.

I'm glad they came up with (up to) 5 year renewal, but PITA? Hardly. I got on their website and it took 2, maybe 3 minutes and I'm done.

I agree that they have it down to a several minute exercise if you have your info handy....

But if you are planning on keeping your boat several years more....then a multi-year documentation alleviates the worry when it's due factor too....

I agree that they have it down to a several minute exercise if you have your info handy....

But if you are planning on keeping your boat several years more....then a multi-year documentation alleviates the worry when it's due factor too....

I think they figured it out and realized, they were losing money issuing every year.

The hassle for me has always been being around when the renewal arrives, and being around when the new certificate arrives, then getting it to the boat, all before the old one expires. Now instead of doing that dance once a year, I only have to do it every 5 years.

The hassle for me has always been being around when the renewal arrives, and being around when the new certificate arrives, then getting it to the boat, all before the old one expires. Now instead of doing that dance once a year, I only have to do it every 5 years.

Fortunately, I don't have those problems and prefer to do it yearly. I do agree that multi year renewal is a great option for a number of people and I'm glad the CG came around to that conclusion. And I'm sure they are saving a ton of money in the process. It's a win-win for everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom