Old 06-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #121

City: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Use to be 7-10 days. Mine has not arrived as of yet and I am "expired".
I’m hearing 2-3 months for new documentation. Renewal will be much faster. You may be right with 7-10 days
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #122
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Sport Sedan
My application was submitted at the end of November. I received the Certificate of Documentation at the very end of March! Major slowdowns in processing.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySky View Post
My application was submitted at the end of November. I received the Certificate of Documentation at the very end of March! Major slowdowns in processing.
Your application was sitting on someone’s desk during the govt shutdown. I’m sure they are still trying to recover from that
Old 06-06-2019, 03:38 PM   #124
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Your application was sitting on someone’s desk during the govt shutdown. I’m sure they are still trying to recover from that
Wifey B: Absolutely their situation. They were really in good shape before, but playing catch up is hard. Right now they're at May 13 on renewals, March 21 on initial, November 5 on Mortgages. Prior to the shut down they were within a month or less on initial documentation and 7 days on renewals I think.

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2491da8
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #125

Just got my renewal....one week
Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #126
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I just got mine..... Seems the PO cant find me again so, they returned it.... It was then sent to my PO Box.
Interestingly, it expires 2024. By then, I should be wearing a drool bib, duct taped in a wheel chair.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #127
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I just got mine..... Seems the PO cant find me again so, they returned it.... It was then sent to my PO Box.
Interestingly, it expires 2024. By then, I should be wearing a drool bib, duct taped in a wheel chair.

Nice, so does that mean that the USCG official documentation is now 5 years? I knew it was coming, or at least being talked about. That's a huge improvement if it's finally been implemented.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #128
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Same price though...you can renew for 1-5 years...$26 x whatever you want.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Nice, so does that mean that the USCG official documentation is now 5 years? I knew it was coming, or at least being talked about. That's a huge improvement if it's finally been implemented.
Yup, that's the deal, every 5 years.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #130
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree with TT. That's a huge improvement! It's the renewal process that's the PITA, not the fee. I'll gladly pay 5 years in advance to go through 1/5th of the hassle.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I agree with TT. That's a huge improvement! It's the renewal process that's the PITA, not the fee. I'll gladly pay 5 years in advance to go through 1/5th of the hassle.
I'm glad they came up with (up to) 5 year renewal, but PITA? Hardly. I got on their website and it took 2, maybe 3 minutes and I'm done.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #132
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
I'm glad they came up with (up to) 5 year renewal, but PITA? Hardly. I got on their website and it took 2, maybe 3 minutes and I'm done.

I agree that they have it down to a several minute exercise if you have your info handy....

But if you are planning on keeping your boat several years more....then a multi-year documentation alleviates the worry when it's due factor too....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #133
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I agree that they have it down to a several minute exercise if you have your info handy....

But if you are planning on keeping your boat several years more....then a multi-year documentation alleviates the worry when it's due factor too....
I think they figured it out and realized, they were losing money issuing every year.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #134
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:

The hassle for me has always been being around when the renewal arrives, and being around when the new certificate arrives, then getting it to the boat, all before the old one expires. Now instead of doing that dance once a year, I only have to do it every 5 years.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The hassle for me has always been being around when the renewal arrives, and being around when the new certificate arrives, then getting it to the boat, all before the old one expires. Now instead of doing that dance once a year, I only have to do it every 5 years.
Fortunately, I don't have those problems and prefer to do it yearly. I do agree that multi year renewal is a great option for a number of people and I'm glad the CG came around to that conclusion. And I'm sure they are saving a ton of money in the process. It's a win-win for everyone.