Old 05-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #101
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I'm not sure what's going on but, I documented 2 'vessels' via the USCG and it was 'easy as pie'. It was so easy, I forgot what I did. I guess sometimes ignorance makes a task easier.
This year, I was contacted by a 'service' offering to assist me in the 'annual renewal'. It didn't look official so I waited and in a week or so, I got the official renewal notice, filled it out, sent my my $26 check and a week later, got my certificate back.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #102
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
The site is the same outfit that started the initial post. The guy has been in the car detailing business, he made a run for public office, claims to be a paralegal (that explains the legal-eze), claims to be an accredited marine surveyor, and member of numerous professional organizations. There are links to those organizations on the website, but a bit of research doesn't confirm any of those claims. Just a lot of sketchiness going on there. The whole deal of being less than forthcoming in how they present themselves raises flags, and doesn't encourage the benefit of the doubt. Strongly worded, intimidating emails as the first response isn't the response of a service oriented organization. Just shady.

Hope you're successful with your chargeback. You may want to forward your credit card company a selection of the posts of others who've had dealings with this disreputable organization, there are posts on the cruisers forum, Hull Truth, T&T, MTOA, and probably others. There's also the issue of the USCG changing the public access website to redact addresses from the database as a response to the complaints about these folks harvesting addresses for the purpose of their deceptive solicitations. It may be legal, but it stinks.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #103
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Make sure you are doing this to scammers and not a legit documentation company. To do the paperwork to document our undocumented boat when we bought it was $525. The company was called Marine Documentation as well. I will look back an check out the email address.

— edit—This group: https://marinedocumentations.com
That seems to be the issue here....as I was trying to explain above. He is not listening and now is out money without the service he contracted!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #104
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajah View Post
I did not send anything, I did fill out some online form.
B & B says, no doubt correctly, registering a transfer requires a document of sale, signed by the seller. Fajah says he has not provided one,making it unlikely the transfer is being processed. A good question is, was he asked for it by the "service". Maybe his termination of the retainer/contract preceded a likely request for it.
If the "service" is acting as agent for Fajah, it has a high fiduciary duty of good faith. Refusing further activity and keeping the money,and the tone of communication, likely falls short.
Maerin`s post above suggests another scenario. $500+ just to register a transfer sounds a lot, even if others have paid similar amounts. It doesn`t sound a huge difficult task.
There are 2 issues. One is sorting out the issue with the "service" The other is registering the transfer,which starts with finding out where that stands and, if the answer is "nowhere", getting on with it,DIY. That or going back, tail between legs to the "service",asking them to proceed after all.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #105
Veteran Member

City: Navarre
OK gang,

I asked them to stop shortly, within an hour or so, after I realized I was not working with the Coast Guard, my bad. They had nothing from me except a filled out, online form. In the meantime I have DIY directly to the CG with the permission to bill my credit card form for $92, after talking to the CG on what they needed.

The point is, these folks, while they might be legit, are hostile. While they did not process anything for me and I ask them nicely to stand down, they became bullies and you have seen some of the threats.

The point is, I screwed up, I figured it out right away and ask them to stop before they did any work. They said they would stop any work but no refund would be coming. And based on the no refund policy makes them a company no one should do business with.

Maerin - thanks for your post, shady is being very polite.
Navarre Fl
Fajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #106

City: Palm Springs
Maritime Documentation

Maritime Documentation Center is a company that I've used in the past. They are a third-party as well. However, they are pretty transparent that they are a private firm. Their customer service was excellent and I would definitely use them again. I wouldn't consider them a scam since they immediately notify you of their services
Lance7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #107

City: Richmond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance7171 View Post
Maritime Documentation Center is a company that I've used in the past. They are a third-party as well. However, they are pretty transparent that they are a private firm. Their customer service was excellent and I would definitely use them again. I wouldn't consider them a scam since they immediately notify you of their services
Yes, they are more transparent than some of the others, however....
On their homepage, their logo looks a lot like the Coast Guard logo and they show a boat that at first glance, looks like some kind of CG vessel. Look at it closely and the slanted stripe on the bow we are so used to seeing is not a legitimate CG stripe. It just looks a lot like it.
My point, they still make there website enough like the CG that people will not read the fine print
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #108
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
If in doubt that you are dealing with the real Coast Guard or not, a 2 minute phone call should get you a clear answer. I often call places to get answers, and right away they should answer U.S. Coast Guard. If their website is void of a number to call, that should also set off alarm bells in your head.
CanadianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #109

No need to make a phone call....
Look at the website address. The real Coast Guard ends in .mil
If it ends in .com .us .org or anything other than .mil , you're dealing with a scammer.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #110
Veteran Member

City: Navarre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance7171 View Post
Also, Google helps them be the first thing you see when you search for the USCG documentation center. I made the mistake and engaged them for about 30 minutes before I realized what I had done. Tried to get them to cancel and was met with aggression and hostility. They wanted almost $600 for what cost $93 with the USCG. I am fighting with them through my CC company and have reported them to the FTC as the Coast Guard recommended.

To each his own. They may not be a full on scammer however they are predatory.
Navarre Fl
Fajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #111
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Also, Google helps them be the first thing you see when you search for the USCG documentation center. I made the mistake and engaged them for about 30 minutes before I realized what I had done. Tried to get them to cancel and was met with aggression and hostility. They wanted almost $600 for what cost $93 with the USCG. I am fighting with them through my CC company and have reported them to the FTC as the Coast Guard recommended.

I just renewed ours on the USCG website which takes you to pay.gov for payment. Simple process, ten minutes at most. Option for e-mail delivery as well. Since we are cruising in Canada, the e-mail option is handy but one must be able to print it out or, I suppose, download it to your phone or tablet.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #112

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:

My same experience! Once you click Enter/Go .....you lost your money............

Use the Government site and save $$$ and the headaches!
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #113
Veteran Member

City: Prescott
Vessel Name: JOURNEY
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Just received my notice for renewal from the USCG and went to THIER website and renewed for the $26 fee. It was very easy and quick
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #114

Old thread, but I thought an update would be good.

I got my renewal reminder letter yesterday from the actual CG and guess what, I haven't seen anything in the mail from any of the scammer services. Just maybe the CG's new policy on not providing owner information anymore on their website is starting to pay off. The cash cow is finally starting to dry up.

​​​​​​​Wish they had done this several years ago. I'm guessing they got so many complaints, they had to come up with some way to stop the scammers.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #115
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just got my first private organization ltr. Too used to official USCG correspondence to fall for it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #116
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
On avg how long has it taken for the CG to turn around a new Documentation request? Sent ours off about 6 weeks ago, got confirmation they received it, but nothing since. Thanks
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just got my first private organization ltr. Too used to official USCG correspondence to fall for it.
I did fall for it 3-4 years ago. Glad you didn’t
Old 06-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #118
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
23 yrs in helped...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
On avg how long has it taken for the CG to turn around a new Documentation request? Sent ours off about 6 weeks ago, got confirmation they received it, but nothing since. Thanks
I’m hearing 2-3 months
Old 06-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #120
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
I’m hearing 2-3 months
Use to be 7-10 days. Mine has not arrived as of yet and I am "expired".