Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
TF Site Team
City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Best way to anchor for a hurricane?

This from my tugboat driving son, who is taking "shelter" up the North River (Hudson River) near Ossining, New York:

Me: Do you have a plan B? Anchorage getting crowded? Plenty of swing room? What have you got out for ground tackle?

Him: We're not really in an anchorage, first come, first serve. Someone drops a hook in my swing circle, I let them know. I literally have 1/4 mile of cable out, with a 2.5 ton anchor at the other end. There's no plan B, as we can't handle this thing in those winds...just drive around backwards like I've done before. We just can't drag far, or we'll end up on the beach.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Skagway Alaska
Vessel Name: Nowitna and Yukon
Vessel Model: Schucker and 53 foot wood homemade
Typhoon anchoring

Here is what we have successfully done when riding out two typhoons in the Philippines.
We put out three old fashioned fisherman anchors about 20 degree apart with lots of rode. We use cheap poly floating line of 1 or 1 1/4 inch with no chain.
I find with floating lines things don't get so tangled up when you swing. I dive on the anchors to make sure they are set correctly. Seems at some point the typhoon will swing almost 180 degree.
During Yolanda last year we set two anchors and then pounded in two heavy bamboo posts into the bottom to tie to. Also we alway keep one spare hook to throw out just in case. I read rode can get so hot because of stretching it can melt and then of course fail.
Anyway a boat where there is not a lot of fetch can ride out a hell of a blow if the anchors hold and the boat stays pointed into the wind.
Some of the boats tied to the pier got pounded up pretty good.
Really not my favorite thing to do but it wasn't my choice and both times we where in a pretty sheltered anchorage.

freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote