Best value in a trailerable trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhodesmj

New to the forum, new to retirement, some experience with small boats and having an ongoing fantasy about doing some serious boating. Considering a trailerable trawler, 26 - 29 ft. I have a place on the Gulf in Florida so would be using it for coastal cruising but also love the upper Mississippi River, near where I currently live. Wife and I would like to be able to spend some time, mostly a few days at a time on board exploring Fla Nature Coast, coastal US cities, major rivers. Maybe an ocassional trip to the Bahamas from the Tampa area.
Looking for good gas economy, creature comforts and safe boating. Hoping to find something in the 50k price range.
Thinking Albin, Ranger, but finding it difficult to get any advice.
All you wise mariners feel free to throw in your 2 cents.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "All you wise mariners feel free to throw in your 2 cents."

giphy.gif

Don't know you personally but anyone who knows Groucho is an instant friend of mine

Welcome aboard Rhodesmj, I like your plan but I can't give you specific advise about trailer trawlers.

Nice one RTF. One of your better ones.

Don't know you personally but anyone who knows Groucho is an instant friend of mine

That makes three of us. We'll have to start a Groucho sub forum. I almost named a boat Spirit of Margret Dumont. I ended up with with Duck Soup.

Hard to give specific advice, as it depends on what your needs are. What is your weight limit for towing? How many berths required? Lots to choose from. Here's a few others worth looking at:

Aylward, Nimble Nomad, Rosborough RF-246, Vashon.

The Rosborough looks like a nice little boat built in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They are a positive flotation boat, which is rare for a trawler. Either inboard or outboard(s), big fuel tank capacity, prices starting at less than 100K for new outboard model, so you may find a used one in your price range.

Ranger Tugs are very nice boats, I know a few people with direct experience with them and they are very impressed with them. Their larger models tend to be pretty pricey, a few hundred grand for a new one. I don't know how the prices for their smaller, older models hold up.

In this area there are a couple of other brands that, while not cruising boats in the strictest sense of the term, do offer smart uses of space and good quality in a trailer boat. They are C-Dory and Sea Sport. C-Dory is out of production now but they were in production for years and there is a huge number of them in this area. They can be had in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of prices.

Sea Sport is, I think, still in production but they, too, have been in production for years with a large number of them in this area.

I have no idea how popular or numerous either brand is outside of the PNW. But since they're trailerable, it would be easy enough to buy one here and move it.

Both the C-Dory and Sea Sport tend to be thought of more as sport fishing boats than cruising boats but I know people who have taken a Sea Sport up a good portion of the Inside Passage and back, and there is a member of this forum who I believe used a C-Dory extensively for cruising in BC and SE Alaska although I could be misremembering the details of this.

C-Dory has a very active owners group so I'm sure you could learn more about them from them.

Trailerable, is subjective, many boats are trailerable that are often thought not to be. Here is my Nauset 28, its a downeast and performs well at trawler (hull) speed.

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1274 copy.jpg
    IMG_1274 copy.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 372
Once you go way down in size , you get 2 options.

A trailer will go from FL to Mobile easier faster & cheaper than across the gulf.

Easy to get to Watertown NY to start the loop than chug 1000 miles up the AICW , yet again.

Speed becomes possible at lower cost.

A 40 ft trawler at 15K may run 20+GPH , but a 25 fter with IO can run 20 - 25 mph inshore at 6-8 GPH.

This can be a different style of cruising from the trawler crawl.

The ability of the IO to get up creeks and close to shore means smoother overnights anchored.

WE use a 23ft IO for summer cruises in the CT area and it works well, although with no noisemaker, no air cond and no fixed heat the season is shorter , and with no oven the grub not as good.

Tiny boats can go fast cheap, and a 305 Chevy is far cheaper to maintain than a diesel.

Trailer boats are light.
Trawlers are heavy ... that is the most profound thing that separates them from other boats. Light boats that look like trawlers .. aren't trawlers. Usually.

Gurryman you have a beautiful lobster boat but it's not a trawler. And those Ranger boats are very nice looking w many clever features but are also light. They are an old Bayliner that's been to the fairy god mother and been touched by the wand. Again nice boats (probably not so nice in the nasty) but it takes more than wannabe looks to make a trawler.

In addition to the questions above about what sort of amenities you want, the big question is what will you be towing with? Personally I would look for an older Nordic Tug 26. You can find one in the $50K-$70K asking range. However at 9'6" beam and at least 9,000 lbs displacement the NT 26 will require either a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck or a 1 ton. You will also need permits which won't be much problem in one state but will be a hassle when going interstate. Ranger Tugs 25 and 27 are both 8'6" beam and around 7,000 lbs so they can be towed by a 3/4 ton truck without permit problems. They are a lot more money though since they haven't been around as long as the Nordics.

An Albin 25 is also an option although the aft cabin can only be reached by going into the cockpit. Much cheaper than either a Nordic or Ranger and at 8'6" beam and under 4,000 lbs displacement can be towed by a half ton truck without permits.

Last edited:
Trailer boats are light.
Trawlers are heavy ... that is the most profound thing that separates them from other boats. Light boats that look like trawlers .. aren't trawlers. Usually.

Gurryman you have a beautiful lobster boat but it's not a trawler. And those Ranger boats are very nice looking w many clever features but are also light. They are an old Bayliner that's been to the fairy god mother and been touched by the wand. Again nice boats (probably not so nice in the nasty) but it takes more than wannabe looks to make a trawler.

I surely know its "not a trawler" That said it demonstrates the variety and trailer-ability of many boats that might not be considered trailer-able. My boat is build as a cruiser and is not very "fishy" although I do fish. its heavy 11500-12500 lbs, One could easily and comfortably do the Loop with her.

Ranger Tugs are very nice boats, I know a few people with direct experience with them and they are very impressed with them. Their larger models tend to be pretty pricey, a few hundred grand for a new one. I don't know how the prices for their smaller, older models hold up.

In this area there are a couple of other brands that, while not cruising boats in the strictest sense of the term, do offer smart uses of space and good quality in a trailer boat. They are C-Dory and Sea Sport. C-Dory is out of production now but they were in production for years and there is a huge number of them in this area. They can be had in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of prices.

Sea Sport is, I think, still in production but they, too, have been in production for years with a large number of them in this area.

I have no idea how popular or numerous either brand is outside of the PNW. But since they're trailerable, it would be easy enough to buy one here and move it.

Both the C-Dory and Sea Sport tend to be thought of more as sport fishing boats than cruising boats but I know people who have taken a Sea Sport up a good portion of the Inside Passage and back, and there is a member of this forum who I believe used a C-Dory extensively for cruising in BC and SE Alaska although I could be misremembering the details of this.

C-Dory has a very active owners group so I'm sure you could learn more about them from them.

Ranger tugs, very nice trailerable cruisers in the 25-27 sizes, are way more than 50K used, probably starting at around $90K for a 25. They also make a 29 and 31, wider and much more costly.

C-Dory is in new production by NW Marine Industries, and their new boats are said to be of high quality. Here's a shot of C-Dory's on the mfg floor in August:

C_Dory_Factory_8_19_15.sized.jpg

A CD 22 Cruiser like the one in which we traveled BC and SE Alaska

1995CindyandCindySea.jpg

sleeps 2-3, has a porta-potty and a galley with a 2-burner stove. Powered by a 90hp outboard, it weighed only 3,000 lb or so loaded. If you want a very easily trailerable cruiser that's ecomical to operate, for less than 50K (used) it's a good choice. They are also made in 23, 25, and 26 sizes.

NWMI also makes the Sea Sports. A Sea Sport 24, 27 or 2600 would be heavier, but with more creature comforts than the CD22. You'd want a 3/4 ton truck for these. Typically gas sterndrive in the 24, gas or diesel in the larger ones. Our Bounty 257 with Volvo diesel is somewhat like them:

IMG_3829.JPG

Not getting into the Trawler definition.

We owned an Albin 25 that we felt to be an amazing boat. Trailerable, safe, sea worthy, economical, great utilization of space and reasonably priced. Check out our blog from a trip we took up into British Columbia.

Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

It is a little smaller than you mentioned but worth considering. We trailered it over mountain passes and did the maintainence all at home. Saved tons on mooragr and always had it nearby to do any project we wanted.

I've been reading up on the Rosborough 246's and they seem like a sweet little boat. Not overly luxurious, but all the basics plus a few bonuses.

I've never been aboard one so no first-hand knowledge.

At 5400 lbs, they are fairly easily towed. 6' 4" headroom; either inboard with sterndrive or outboard(s); 120 gal fuel capacity; and positive floatation (not many trawlers offer that).

It seems that a 2000-2004 model can be had for around the 50k mark.

Attachments

• RF-246SC-Single-OB-1024x768.jpg
    RF-246SC-Single-OB-1024x768.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 755
Not a lot has been said here about size and weight limits for towing. In most states the maximum width without a permit is 8' 6". So unless you want to get a permit for each tow (or an annual permit for a specific state) then stay within this beam limit.

At that beam, most "trawlers" are towable but it takes a full size pickup or a big SUV like a Suburban or Armada or even a 3/4 ton pickup in some cases. A Ranger 25 or a Rosborough weighs at least 6,000 lbs loaded and with the trailer weight you are getting close to 8,000 lbs tow weight.

Consider an outboard engine. You are going to tow it anywhere long distance, right. So an outboard will be lighter, cheaper, and easier to service, particularly at home. Fuel consumption will be irrelevant if you are only going to cruise a hundred miles or so on each trip.

Most models of this type have already been mentioned: C-Dory, Rosborough, Ranger Tug, etc, but add an Atlas Acadia 25 to that list. I really like the looks and layout of that model- pure downeast style, and right in your price range.

David

Last edited:
These boats OB, inboard or IO are great boats.

I'd like to downsize to a Sea Dory or something similar at about 3 or 4000lbs. Bigger boats are a lot more demanding and a simpler life is more attractive now. And I do prefer OB's .... about as un-trawler like as one can get w/o thinking of ski boats. I started out w OB cruisers and anticipate finishing in that mode. I like the way they move on the water much better that heavy trawlers. I'm working to recommission my 19' OB "Winner".

I would embrace much more small boat content here on TF ... preferably if they were not called trawlers.

Re the OP if "trawler" is out of the question perhaps an old Bayliner is the best value in a cruising boat this size. Especially if an OB can be found but they were mostly IO 's. Not hard to convert though.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input....much to consider with your help.
I'll keep you up on my selection process.
Additional advice always appreciated.

I have a C-Dory 22. Don't use it much now since the NT is much more comfortable, but I did take it from Anacortes to Glacier Bay and back and also around Vancouver Island.

It's definitely not a trawler—it's a planing-hulled powerboat—but it is about as good a power cruiser as you can get in 22 feet. Yes, it'll beat you up in a head sea, but it does great in a following sea. I never felt unsafe or like I was anywhere near the boats limits, including a jaunt around Estevan Point with 25-35 knots and 2-3 meter seas behind me.

I never towed mine (no interest in owning a truck and trailer) but a CD22 can be towed by many midsize SUVs.

Tons of C-Dory info on www.c-brats.com

A boat that I forgot is the McGreggor motorsailer.

An OB w retractable twin rudders that run on either side of the OB engine. There are (I belive) water ballast chambers allow speeds to 20 knots w about 50hp and a heavier boat for sailing and heavy seas. Rather narrow and not very roomy but the worst thing is the totally open cockpit for the helmsman and passengers underway typical of sailboats. They are very capable and very trailerable though. Twenty six feet long.

Worth checking out Arvor boats. Not really 'trawlers' but certainly trailerable (in OZ , anyway). I think they max out at 23' - but those 23' seem to be very well designed. We came close to buying (~$100k for a 23' 'weekender' - new). 115hp nanni diesel. Purportedly cruises easily at around 17knts.

Only thinkg that stopped us further considering them was size - we were looking to sleep a family of 5 and the Arvors just weren't big enough. Bloody nice boats though - and I still have ambitions of a 20ft Arvor for a fishing boat.

Rousboro, Ranger & C Dory are 3 that come to mind. To be at 50K, the Ranger would have to be a 21. Don't know about the rest. Rangers are a great boat, I have a 27. They cost anywhere from 130K to 170K for a used one. They haven't been around long enough, so they are all fairly new.

The big joy no a stock trailer boat is the round trip can frequently be ZERO.

The cost of the boat vs the selling price.

On a 90's boat condition is king , not depreciation.

For $ 5000 to $7500 you can find a fine small cruiser , that will maintain its value .

WE chose a boat in the Regal line , a bit above the cheapest of the small breed , but used , the quality doesn't cost extra. Condition is everything!!!

This style boat costs less than the sales tax on some similar , but newer boats , so a walk away after the loop or whatever would not be painful, tho unnecessary.

That's a very fast hull. Very little deadrise and mostly flat and straight over 60% of the hull. I like the plumb stem and highly twisted bottom fwd but it's only in the water if going slow.

I do of course take issue w them calling this boat a trawler.

Much better looking than the other Great Harbor boats. But still not a good looking boat. I will agree w "cool" though.

You may want to check out Hewescraft. Made in the west and has a dealer in Chicago area. We have owned a Hewes since 2010. There are a number here in Alaska and a growing number visiting from BC and Washingtion. This past summer a Montana owner towed his boat to Shagway, Alaska, explored SE Alaska and then towed it back home.

Another vote for C-Dory. You can go slow, but when you can go 15-20 knots at 5mpg, why the hell would you want to? Unless it's snotty, in which case you would kill yourself - though the boat would survive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom