Old 10-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

City: Waukesha
Best value in a trailerable trawler

New to the forum, new to retirement, some experience with small boats and having an ongoing fantasy about doing some serious boating. Considering a trailerable trawler, 26 - 29 ft. I have a place on the Gulf in Florida so would be using it for coastal cruising but also love the upper Mississippi River, near where I currently live. Wife and I would like to be able to spend some time, mostly a few days at a time on board exploring Fla Nature Coast, coastal US cities, major rivers. Maybe an ocassional trip to the Bahamas from the Tampa area.
Looking for good gas economy, creature comforts and safe boating. Hoping to find something in the 50k price range.
Thinking Albin, Ranger, but finding it difficult to get any advice.
All you wise mariners feel free to throw in your 2 cents.

Rhodesmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "All you wise mariners feel free to throw in your 2 cents."

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #3

Don't know you personally but anyone who knows Groucho is an instant friend of mine
Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard Rhodesmj, I like your plan but I can't give you specific advise about trailer trawlers.

Nice one RTF. One of your better ones.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesmj View Post
Don't know you personally but anyone who knows Groucho is an instant friend of mine
That makes three of us. We'll have to start a Groucho sub forum. I almost named a boat Spirit of Margret Dumont. I ended up with with Duck Soup.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Hard to give specific advice, as it depends on what your needs are. What is your weight limit for towing? How many berths required? Lots to choose from. Here's a few others worth looking at:

Aylward, Nimble Nomad, Rosborough RF-246, Vashon.

The Rosborough looks like a nice little boat built in Halifax, Nova Scotia. They are a positive flotation boat, which is rare for a trawler. Either inboard or outboard(s), big fuel tank capacity, prices starting at less than 100K for new outboard model, so you may find a used one in your price range.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
The TugNuts ‚ÄĘ Home
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Ranger Tugs are very nice boats, I know a few people with direct experience with them and they are very impressed with them. Their larger models tend to be pretty pricey, a few hundred grand for a new one. I don't know how the prices for their smaller, older models hold up.

In this area there are a couple of other brands that, while not cruising boats in the strictest sense of the term, do offer smart uses of space and good quality in a trailer boat. They are C-Dory and Sea Sport. C-Dory is out of production now but they were in production for years and there is a huge number of them in this area. They can be had in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of prices.

Sea Sport is, I think, still in production but they, too, have been in production for years with a large number of them in this area.

I have no idea how popular or numerous either brand is outside of the PNW. But since they're trailerable, it would be easy enough to buy one here and move it.

Both the C-Dory and Sea Sport tend to be thought of more as sport fishing boats than cruising boats but I know people who have taken a Sea Sport up a good portion of the Inside Passage and back, and there is a member of this forum who I believe used a C-Dory extensively for cruising in BC and SE Alaska although I could be misremembering the details of this.

C-Dory has a very active owners group so I'm sure you could learn more about them from them.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: New Bedford, MA.
Trailerable, is subjective, many boats are trailerable that are often thought not to be. Here is my Nauset 28, its a downeast and performs well at trawler (hull) speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	45232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274 copy.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	45233  
Gurryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #10
FF
Guru

Once you go way down in size , you get 2 options.

A trailer will go from FL to Mobile easier faster & cheaper than across the gulf.

Easy to get to Watertown NY to start the loop than chug 1000 miles up the AICW , yet again.

Speed becomes possible at lower cost.

A 40 ft trawler at 15K may run 20+GPH , but a 25 fter with IO can run 20 - 25 mph inshore at 6-8 GPH.

This can be a different style of cruising from the trawler crawl.

The ability of the IO to get up creeks and close to shore means smoother overnights anchored.

WE use a 23ft IO for summer cruises in the CT area and it works well, although with no noisemaker, no air cond and no fixed heat the season is shorter , and with no oven the grub not as good.

Tiny boats can go fast cheap, and a 305 Chevy is far cheaper to maintain than a diesel.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Trailer boats are light.
Trawlers are heavy ... that is the most profound thing that separates them from other boats. Light boats that look like trawlers .. aren't trawlers. Usually.

Gurryman you have a beautiful lobster boat but it's not a trawler. And those Ranger boats are very nice looking w many clever features but are also light. They are an old Bayliner that's been to the fairy god mother and been touched by the wand. Again nice boats (probably not so nice in the nasty) but it takes more than wannabe looks to make a trawler.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
In addition to the questions above about what sort of amenities you want, the big question is what will you be towing with? Personally I would look for an older Nordic Tug 26. You can find one in the $50K-$70K asking range. However at 9'6" beam and at least 9,000 lbs displacement the NT 26 will require either a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck or a 1 ton. You will also need permits which won't be much problem in one state but will be a hassle when going interstate. Ranger Tugs 25 and 27 are both 8'6" beam and around 7,000 lbs so they can be towed by a 3/4 ton truck without permit problems. They are a lot more money though since they haven't been around as long as the Nordics.

An Albin 25 is also an option although the aft cabin can only be reached by going into the cockpit. Much cheaper than either a Nordic or Ranger and at 8'6" beam and under 4,000 lbs displacement can be towed by a half ton truck without permits.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: New Bedford, MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Trailer boats are light.
Trawlers are heavy ... that is the most profound thing that separates them from other boats. Light boats that look like trawlers .. aren't trawlers. Usually.

Gurryman you have a beautiful lobster boat but it's not a trawler. And those Ranger boats are very nice looking w many clever features but are also light. They are an old Bayliner that's been to the fairy god mother and been touched by the wand. Again nice boats (probably not so nice in the nasty) but it takes more than wannabe looks to make a trawler.

I surely know its "not a trawler" That said it demonstrates the variety and trailer-ability of many boats that might not be considered trailer-able. My boat is build as a cruiser and is not very "fishy" although I do fish. its heavy 11500-12500 lbs, One could easily and comfortably do the Loop with her.
Gurryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. G. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Ranger Tugs are very nice boats, I know a few people with direct experience with them and they are very impressed with them. Their larger models tend to be pretty pricey, a few hundred grand for a new one. I don't know how the prices for their smaller, older models hold up.

In this area there are a couple of other brands that, while not cruising boats in the strictest sense of the term, do offer smart uses of space and good quality in a trailer boat. They are C-Dory and Sea Sport. C-Dory is out of production now but they were in production for years and there is a huge number of them in this area. They can be had in all sorts of conditions at all sorts of prices.

Sea Sport is, I think, still in production but they, too, have been in production for years with a large number of them in this area.

I have no idea how popular or numerous either brand is outside of the PNW. But since they're trailerable, it would be easy enough to buy one here and move it.

Both the C-Dory and Sea Sport tend to be thought of more as sport fishing boats than cruising boats but I know people who have taken a Sea Sport up a good portion of the Inside Passage and back, and there is a member of this forum who I believe used a C-Dory extensively for cruising in BC and SE Alaska although I could be misremembering the details of this.

C-Dory has a very active owners group so I'm sure you could learn more about them from them.
Ranger tugs, very nice trailerable cruisers in the 25-27 sizes, are way more than 50K used, probably starting at around $90K for a 25. They also make a 29 and 31, wider and much more costly.

C-Dory is in new production by NW Marine Industries, and their new boats are said to be of high quality. Here's a shot of C-Dory's on the mfg floor in August:

A CD 22 Cruiser like the one in which we traveled BC and SE Alaska

sleeps 2-3, has a porta-potty and a galley with a 2-burner stove. Powered by a 90hp outboard, it weighed only 3,000 lb or so loaded. If you want a very easily trailerable cruiser that's ecomical to operate, for less than 50K (used) it's a good choice. They are also made in 23, 25, and 26 sizes.

NWMI also makes the Sea Sports. A Sea Sport 24, 27 or 2600 would be heavier, but with more creature comforts than the CD22. You'd want a 3/4 ton truck for these. Typically gas sterndrive in the 24, gas or diesel in the larger ones. Our Bounty 257 with Volvo diesel is somewhat like them:

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Not getting into the Trawler definition.

We owned an Albin 25 that we felt to be an amazing boat. Trailerable, safe, sea worthy, economical, great utilization of space and reasonably priced. Check out our blog from a trip we took up into British Columbia.

Princess Louisa Inlet 2010

It is a little smaller than you mentioned but worth considering. We trailered it over mountain passes and did the maintainence all at home. Saved tons on mooragr and always had it nearby to do any project we wanted.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I've been reading up on the Rosborough 246's and they seem like a sweet little boat. Not overly luxurious, but all the basics plus a few bonuses.

I've never been aboard one so no first-hand knowledge.

At 5400 lbs, they are fairly easily towed. 6' 4" headroom; either inboard with sterndrive or outboard(s); 120 gal fuel capacity; and positive floatation (not many trawlers offer that).

It seems that a 2000-2004 model can be had for around the 50k mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF-246SC-Single-OB-1024x768.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	45267  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Not a lot has been said here about size and weight limits for towing. In most states the maximum width without a permit is 8' 6". So unless you want to get a permit for each tow (or an annual permit for a specific state) then stay within this beam limit.

At that beam, most "trawlers" are towable but it takes a full size pickup or a big SUV like a Suburban or Armada or even a 3/4 ton pickup in some cases. A Ranger 25 or a Rosborough weighs at least 6,000 lbs loaded and with the trailer weight you are getting close to 8,000 lbs tow weight.

Consider an outboard engine. You are going to tow it anywhere long distance, right. So an outboard will be lighter, cheaper, and easier to service, particularly at home. Fuel consumption will be irrelevant if you are only going to cruise a hundred miles or so on each trip.

Most models of this type have already been mentioned: C-Dory, Rosborough, Ranger Tug, etc, but add an Atlas Acadia 25 to that list. I really like the looks and layout of that model- pure downeast style, and right in your price range.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
These boats OB, inboard or IO are great boats.

I'd like to downsize to a Sea Dory or something similar at about 3 or 4000lbs. Bigger boats are a lot more demanding and a simpler life is more attractive now. And I do prefer OB's .... about as un-trawler like as one can get w/o thinking of ski boats. I started out w OB cruisers and anticipate finishing in that mode. I like the way they move on the water much better that heavy trawlers. I'm working to recommission my 19' OB "Winner".

I would embrace much more small boat content here on TF ... preferably if they were not called trawlers.

Re the OP if "trawler" is out of the question perhaps an old Bayliner is the best value in a cruising boat this size. Especially if an OB can be found but they were mostly IO 's. Not hard to convert though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #20

Thanks all for the input....much to consider with your help.
I'll keep you up on my selection process.
Additional advice always appreciated.