Old 10-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #21

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I have a C-Dory 22. Don't use it much now since the NT is much more comfortable, but I did take it from Anacortes to Glacier Bay and back and also around Vancouver Island.

It's definitely not a trawler—it's a planing-hulled powerboat—but it is about as good a power cruiser as you can get in 22 feet. Yes, it'll beat you up in a head sea, but it does great in a following sea. I never felt unsafe or like I was anywhere near the boats limits, including a jaunt around Estevan Point with 25-35 knots and 2-3 meter seas behind me.

I never towed mine (no interest in owning a truck and trailer) but a CD22 can be towed by many midsize SUVs.

Tons of C-Dory info on www.c-brats.com

Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A boat that I forgot is the McGreggor motorsailer.

An OB w retractable twin rudders that run on either side of the OB engine. There are (I belive) water ballast chambers allow speeds to 20 knots w about 50hp and a heavier boat for sailing and heavy seas. Rather narrow and not very roomy but the worst thing is the totally open cockpit for the helmsman and passengers underway typical of sailboats. They are very capable and very trailerable though. Twenty six feet long.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #23

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Worth checking out Arvor boats. Not really 'trawlers' but certainly trailerable (in OZ , anyway). I think they max out at 23' - but those 23' seem to be very well designed. We came close to buying (~$100k for a 23' 'weekender' - new). 115hp nanni diesel. Purportedly cruises easily at around 17knts.

Only thinkg that stopped us further considering them was size - we were looking to sleep a family of 5 and the Arvors just weren't big enough. Bloody nice boats though - and I still have ambitions of a 20ft Arvor for a fishing boat.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #24

City: Bohemia
Rousboro, Ranger & C Dory are 3 that come to mind. To be at 50K, the Ranger would have to be a 21. Don't know about the rest. Rangers are a great boat, I have a 27. They cost anywhere from 130K to 170K for a used one. They haven't been around long enough, so they are all fairly new.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #25

City: Greenfield IN
Vessel Name: Chutay
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Great Harbour is in the works of designing a trailerable trawler. Great Harbour Trawlers - Great Harbour blog
DMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #26
FF
Guru

The big joy no a stock trailer boat is the round trip can frequently be ZERO.

The cost of the boat vs the selling price.

On a 90's boat condition is king , not depreciation.

For $ 5000 to $7500 you can find a fine small cruiser , that will maintain its value .

WE chose a boat in the Regal line , a bit above the cheapest of the small breed , but used , the quality doesn't cost extra. Condition is everything!!!

This style boat costs less than the sales tax on some similar , but newer boats , so a walk away after the loop or whatever would not be painful, tho unnecessary.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartin View Post
Great Harbour is in the works of designing a trailerable trawler. Great Harbour Trawlers - Great Harbour blog

That's a cool looking boat IMO.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's a very fast hull. Very little deadrise and mostly flat and straight over 60% of the hull. I like the plumb stem and highly twisted bottom fwd but it's only in the water if going slow.

I do of course take issue w them calling this boat a trawler.

Much better looking than the other Great Harbor boats. But still not a good looking boat. I will agree w "cool" though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #29

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
You may want to check out Hewescraft. Made in the west and has a dealer in Chicago area. We have owned a Hewes since 2010. There are a number here in Alaska and a growing number visiting from BC and Washingtion. This past summer a Montana owner towed his boat to Shagway, Alaska, explored SE Alaska and then towed it back home.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #30
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Another vote for C-Dory. You can go slow, but when you can go 15-20 knots at 5mpg, why the hell would you want to? Unless it's snotty, in which case you would kill yourself - though the boat would survive.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
And for an even lower budget (particularly if you're in the PNW), there's also the old Bayliner Explorer with Alaska Bulkhead, like this one for under $10K:
2270 Baylinner Explorer/Alaska Bulkhead - $8999
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #32

City: Leesburg, VA
There is also Marinaut. It is aimed at the C-Dory type crowd.

Marinaut Boats Home

The more common C-Dorys come as 22' or 25' cruisers. The 22 can be had in cruiser or angler configuration (anglers trade a smaller cabin for a bigger cockpit).

There is also the Venture 23 and 26. These are upscale versions of the CD 22 and 25. The outfitting and finish are a bit more posh.

ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote