Old 06-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Bayliner used Mitsubishi and Hino Diesel engines in their 38' boats built from the early 80s to mid 90s. I would avoid the Mitsubishi powered boats especially the turbo charged units. The Hino EH700 are a 6 cylinder naturally aspirated 175 hp, in the last few years of production they used a 4 cylinder turbo charged 210 hp. Both of these are sturdy long lived engines given proper care but my preference would be the simpler NA 6 cylinder EH700. Parts are available from North Harbor Diesel in Washington and other sources. They also built a few gas powered boats if those would interest you. Depending where your located these could be in your budget very easily, they are still popular boats in the pnw and prices in that area are higher than the gulf or east coast, there are a few on the rivers and Great Lakes, there are always a few for sale around the country.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #22

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I am fond of my Perkins 4-236s. They seem to be well regarded and very reliable. Pretty frugal too.

Kevin

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Up to 100 HP, I like Kaboda. Simple, reliable, blocks stay around for a long time and parts are widely available around the world. I'd dearly love to have a Garner but in the US it's hard to beat a John Deere. Cummins second. My dream marinization would be an International DT series, wet sleeve, in 360, 408, 466 and 530 versions. For a circumnavigation, a 53 or 71 series Detroit would also be a very safe bet.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
You can have that DT , especially the 466. Liners seem to always eventually leak. The newer electronic DTs have injector o ring issues, among other things. And the fact that a marinization would be expensive. Cummins C series trumps them everywhere.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
I am fond of my Perkins 4-236s. They seem to be well regarded and very reliable. Pretty frugal too.

Kevin
I was waiting for some love for the venerable Perkins 4.236. Thanks 'Swede!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I was waiting for some love for the venerable Perkins 4.236. Thanks 'Swede!!
I have some 4.236 experience. They are excellent engines!!!!! Probably Perkins' best!!!!
Baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: Defever - 68' steel custom
It's hard to find a more reliable and proven engine than an in-line 671-naturally aspirated Detroit. Readily available parts and reparable world wide. All mechanical; no electronics, sensors or computers to shut you down at inopportune times. You can lose all electrical power and they keep running. Biggest downside is the noise, which is mostly from the blower system.
mike50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:08 AM   #28

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike50 View Post
It's hard to find a more reliable and proven engine than an in-line 671-naturally aspirated Detroit. Readily available parts and reparable world wide. All mechanical; no electronics, sensors or computers to shut you down at inopportune times. You can lose all electrical power and they keep running. Biggest downside is the noise, which is mostly from the blower system.
ditto

I would add no injector pump, originally designed to be rebuildable in the field, including pumps, blower and so on. Cared for naturals can go double the hours of a typical yacht diesel. Mine were over 20,000 hours when rebuilt.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:15 AM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Excluding your budget: John Deere/Lugger.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:42 AM   #30
FF
Guru

With an old boat and a budget the engine choice is less of a concern than

"Soft decks, leaky Windows, moisture saturated bulkheads or sandwich hulls are far more to deal with than an engine that have readily available parts"

These defects can eat months of work , piles of currency and will be ongoing problems as repair can not fix inherent problems..

IF the engine is common . and parts are available , concentrate on the boat issues, not the engine make , if you wish to get off the dock.

A quick look in the boats engine locker , Diesel rated lube oil or car stuff?

On start up from COLD !!!! how long does the white smoke come out the exhaust?

Underway , what temperature does white smoke go away ?

Displacement speed cruiser engines are seldom worn out , most are killed bu poor or non existing maint.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
What FF said!
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #32
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
I have Yanmar power as it was already installed in the boat when I purchased it. It is 16 years old with about 1,700 hours on the clock and has been absolutely reliable for me. Service requirements are simple and parts are readily available just about everywhere.

Is there some reason Yanmar has not been mentioned, good or bad in this post?

Are they better suited to higher speed applications for the larger diesels, or auxiliary sailboat power in the smaller sizes? Price? Durability? Reputation?

Just curious since I am presently 'married' to one
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #33
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Normally aspirated Yanmar engines are great for trawlers, but the biggest one Yanmar makes is about 54 hp in a 2 liter JH engine. That is fine for your size trawler, but the OP's 36-40' needs more cubes.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #34
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Although my bias is showing, I wondered the same thing. Point being," how many cruising sail boats are Yanmar powered? A million...2 million?"

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Although my bias is showing, I wondered the same thing. Point being," how many cruising sail boats are Yanmar powered? A million...2 million?"

I think the OP budget was for a 70k "trawler" so I think that's maybe why Yanmar wasn't mentioned?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #36
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
I have Yanmar power as it was already installed in the boat when I purchased it. It is 16 years old with about 1,700 hours on the clock and has been absolutely reliable for me. Service requirements are simple and parts are readily available just about everywhere.

Are they better suited to higher speed applications for the larger diesels, or auxiliary sailboat power in the smaller sizes? Price? Durability? Reputation?

Just curious since I am presently 'married' to one
Why? Aluminum. Exhaust manifold is Al, and a bunch of other parts too. Aluminum has corrosion issues that cast iron does not. If you look at Cat, Cummins and Detroit, they typically use NO Al in contact with coolant. Look at any engine still in service at say 30-40-50yrs and you won't find Al in contact with coolant. Iron or bronze only. Real engines don't use Al.

Yanmar, Volvo, Deere like to use Al for exh manifolds. Why?? To save weight?? For a trawler??? Save 40lbs?? Yay.

Why do we hate the TA Perkins 6.354? Aluminum. Why hate the Ford/Lehman TA's? Aluminum. Why is that 20yr old Westerbeke gennie in my shop, soon to go to recycling? Aluminum exh manifold rotted and flooded engine.

Pull a HX tube bundle out of an Al manifold. Hmmm. Sealing surface all pitted and now I have to deal with it. Fun. Glad I saved that 40lbs!!

Sorry, rant mode off....
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #37
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Why? Aluminum. Exhaust manifold is Al, and a bunch of other parts too. Aluminum has corrosion issues that cast iron does not. If you look at Cat, Cummins and Detroit, they typically use NO Al in contact with coolant. Look at any engine still in service at say 30-40-50yrs and you won't find Al in contact with coolant. Iron or bronze only. Real engines don't use Al.

Yanmar, Volvo, Deere like to use Al for exh manifolds. Why?? To save weight?? For a trawler??? Save 40lbs?? Yay.

Why do we hate the TA Perkins 6.354? Aluminum. Why hate the Ford/Lehman TA's? Aluminum. Why is that 20yr old Westerbeke gennie in my shop, soon to go to recycling? Aluminum exh manifold rotted and flooded engine.

Pull a HX tube bundle out of an Al manifold. Hmmm. Sealing surface all pitted and now I have to deal with it. Fun. Glad I saved that 40lbs!!

Sorry, rant mode off....

Eeeeek. 😳
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #38
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
So those old single engine fishing boats going out to the Grand Banks every week, running Luggers (Deeres) are in trouble?

The many Nordhavns circumnavigating using the same engine better beware?

Thinking not.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #39

Cummins All the way. I have a '78 Albin 36 with a cummins 6BT. Albin started putting that engine in their trawler in '87. My PO dropped one in my boat in '86. Look for an Albin starting from 1987 and you may come across one with the Cummins.
fireant4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #40
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Best engine?

Mitsubishi of course.
That's what we've got in our boat and it's perfect. Smooth, quiet, reliable and even inexpensive. It has starting glow plugs and because it's marineized by Klassen (now Yukon Engines) there is no aluminum on the engine except the valve cover.
We had a fuel delivery proplem that was'nt the fault of the engine itself but the way the fuel lines were installed. That's it.
I don't know how it could be any better. Happy camper.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote