Best place on East Coast to store a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7tiger7

Hi Everyone,
Looks like it is definite that I am moving to Tampa, FL to be closer to my parents; and will attend law school there, as well.
I currently live in Boston, and have my Marine Trader 43 for sale. I'd like to keep the boat and take it to Tampa - but realized the fuel cost may be too much to get her there, and I may not have time to use her while in law school.

However - a few questions.
1) I've heard that insurers will not cover boat in Florida, due to hurricanes? Would I have to move the boat north for parts of the year? If I'm in Tampa, where would I have to go with the boat during the season to keep it covered by insurance?

2) I have to be in Tampa by August 1st or so for school - and I cannot leave Boston until July 1st due to work. I don't think I could get the boat to FL, but I don't want to leave the boat in Boston (far away, expensive).
My idea is to take her as far south as I can in the month of July (at 8 kts), and then leave here there for the winter (hauled out, and hopefully somewhere that doesn't get below freezing like in Boston).
Ideas as to where is the cheapest and best place to haul and store my boat on the East Coast while I'm selling it - or - for one winter, until next summer when I can maybe continue the trip south to Tampa.

Basically - the best, cheapest place on the east coast to store a boat (thinking Carolinas?)

Thanks!
Phillip
(ps - if anyone wants to come along for the ride south, let me know)

Phillip,

I think NC is your best bet. It's halfway and no need to winterize. I will look around for long-term storage for you as I know the yards, but don't know what the deal is keeping it up for a season. Duck Creek, Deaton Yachts, Jarret Bay, Bach Marine, Wayfarrer's Cove, or any number of places.

I also have a cousin that might rent you a spot on his dock so you can keep it in the water and come use it if you like. It will be WAYYYYY cheaper than a marina or yard. I'll be watching his house over the summer while he is in Seattle. He has a dock with 30A power on Broad Creek in Oriental, NC. Bess and I will be stopping by regularly over the summer. We'd be glad to keep the batteries topped up, air out the cabin, and fire up the main(s) every few weeks for you.

I'll shoot him an email.

Tom-

P.S. - You should re list it with a broker I know here in New Bern. It WILL get sold. Period.

Last edited:
Tom, thanks for the post, and for the offer! Sounds great, and NC would not be terribly far to get to from Boston in the few weeks we would have to move her.
I'll send you a PM.
Thanks!

"and fire up the main(s) every few weeks for you."

Why would you wish to destroy his engines?

Don't change the subject, Fred.

Phillip,I think NC is your best bet..

We spent almost a year in NC split between Wilmington/New Bern. Good weather, people and food. We left the boat at Bennett Bothers Marina 26 miles up the Cape Fear River. A great location if you want to leave a boat. No hurricanes or storm surge. They also build boats, so the services are there although expensive.

New Bern was great but a few of the marinas had mandatory evacuation plans if a hurricane threatens. The area has lots of choices

If you want to sell your boat, North Carolina has no sales sales tax on used boats.

The big one for you might be property taxes. I think we paid ~ .65/$100. South Carolina and Georgia are also property tax states. Florida is not.

Storing out of the water in the Carolinas would need to be winterized according to the Marina I hauled in Charleston two winters ago...in the water maybe not.

The difference in in/out of the water is pretty big and if no one is around to winterize your boat if you elect not too...your gamble.

I've had outside waterlines in campgrounds in Myrtle Beach freeze up solid in less than overnight a few years back....and that was RIGHT on the beach next to the ocean.

New Bern was great but a few of the marinas had mandatory evacuation plans if a hurricane threatens.

Not to divert the thread too far, but this is only half correct. The marinas may have indeed have a policy to remove during a named storm, but NC law says that you rent that space and you are allowed to stay if you want to. However, if you boat, while tied up, causes damage, you are responsible. Also, if you stay when they want you to leave, you'll probably not asked to stay.

And yes, out of the water would need some form of winterizing, but in the water is fine. winter 2010 was REALLY damn cold and we were still fine.

Tom-

We are full time liveaboards in FL... You can definitely insure a boat year round in FL. It will cost you more than you pay up north.

If you were to bring it south...you would more than likely choose to use the cross Florida route via the St Lucie Canal, Lake Okeechobee, and the Caloosahatchie River ... You pick it up in Stuart Fl and go thru a few locks.....

Wait...not sure you can do that...they are closing the locks on the east side of the lake for several weeks to put in Manatee protectors....

Florida, Okeechobee Waterway Lock Closure, Update – MNN030712
Temporary Closure of Moore Haven Lock has now been rescheduled to begin
June 8th to install Manatee Protection System.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has postponed the start date for installation of the Manatee Protection System (MPS) at the Moore Haven Lock as a result of concerns expressed by the public at meetings held earlier.
The lock on the Okeechobee Waterway is now scheduled to be temporarily closed from June 11th for approximately 8 weeks. The lock is anticipated to open for navigation on August 8, 2012.
“After hearing the economic and recreational concerns expressed at last night’s meeting, the Corps has adjusted the scheduled lock closure to reduce the impact to the local communities,” said Lt. Col. Michael Kinard, deputy district commander. “This timeframe will allow the lock to remain open further into the boating season, while allowing us to complete the installation at the beginning of the hurricane season when the risk is low. It’s all about balancing impacts and risks.”
Installation of the MPS is part of the Manatee Pass Gates project. The primary goal of the project is to safeguard Florida’s endangered manatees from serious injury or death at water control structures and navigation locks by modifying these structures with a MPS. Using a set of acoustic transmitters and receivers, the MPS detects the West Indian manatee and prevents the gates from closing and harming the protected animal.
The Manatee Protection System has been manufactured and above-ground fixtures have been installed at Moore Haven Lock. The remaining work includes dewatering the lock, installing the MPS to the lock gates, testing the system, and re-watering the lock. Work is expected to be complete within two months.

But if you brought it down...you could always store the boat at the Indiantown marina.....

"and fire up the main(s) every few weeks for you."

Why would you wish to destroy his engines?

Don't change the subject, Fred.
Adventures Of Skinny Dippin' Blog

Darn , I thought this forum was for and about TRAWLERS.

Location is OK to discuss but cutting the engine life isnt?

Getting more like the Board Nazi TT forum by the day!!!

Deltaville, VA. $100 per month flat rate on the hard at Chesapeake Boatworks or Stingray Point Boatworks. No crime. Brand new supper West Marine. No bird droppings or spiders. Best mom and pop hardware store anywhere "Hurds"

Here's an idea to consider - hire a captain and crew to drive the boat and find some people wanting to charter it, who are willing to pay gas and other expenses. You could have them bring the boat all the way to Tampa. If coming all that way is too much, then they could leave the boat on the east coast, so you could bring it the rest of the way around.

Minimal cost to you and your boat gets to be with you this year.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
1988 Carver Santego 30
1975 Angler 21BR

Back
Top Bottom