Best photos of your boat underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect that if we took a poll and counted anchors by brand the old Danforth would probably be found most numerous.

Dimmer a good very short historical account.

Yesterday I did a survey of two 30' floats 2/3rds of them covered. Most of the boats were 2 or 3' over slip length.

25 Claws and 50 Danforths.

Mark I'm only mildly fond of DeFever boats in general but I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all three pics of your DF 48. She looks thoroughly proper in every respect w very good lines and all proportions excellent. I usually don't like those side slab like posts but even they aren't objectionable. As a broker you've seen it all and your good taste shows.

Last edited:
Boat photos not anchor debates!!

Bob, Howabout best photo's AND anchor .....

OK you're right.

I can't delete it now .... sorry. I see you're the OP. Nice pic of your Banks maxed out.

Last edited:
Before Stabies

Attachments

• 1-IMGP0802.jpg
    1-IMGP0802.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 1-IMGP0811.jpg
    1-IMGP0811.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1-IMGP0808.jpg
    1-IMGP0808.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 99
Underway, Port Ludlow, WA

Thanks Moonfish for the photo

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433994994.520021.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433994994.520021.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 109
I found a better picture of Wily.

This was taken by the PO of the boat that just happened to be a professional photographer. And he just happened to be underway in his new boat. This is how Willy looked when we bought her. Picture taken just north of Edmonds WA .. north of Seattle. All that teak on the cabin was just screwed on without even any sealer where the screws went through the cabin sides and into the plywood backing. Moving to Alaska necessitated removing all of it and filling all the screw holes w 3M Marine Filler. Has micro balloons in it. In the bottom pic Chris was in the process of filling all the screw holes. We still have most of the teak and there are only guesses as to who put the teak on. There is much more teak in other places on Willy than on other Willards. I suspect maybe the factory did it for a dazzling boat for the west coast boat shows. Probably will never know.

Attachments

• CIMG0407 copy 4.jpg
    CIMG0407 copy 4.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 103
  • all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 128 copy 2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 97
Nice shot Marin. How'ed you get the pic. Turn Point I assume. The photographer must have been on a ferry or other big vessel. Nice composition w the point too. A bit fuzzy though. Looks like you're above your normal cruising speed but if the engines were sweet at that speed I could do that every day. Who's that on the bow?

On lake Washington. At moderate speed probably 10K. Note angle of hull to water and waves coming off boat. At 16K and above there would be little change in what you see just sl larger wave form. There are trim tabs not really needed but I do use them at higher speeds usually above 11K to keep boat really flat on water. No squat and no huge bow and stern waves as is often the case with trawlers at this speed. This picture shows boat just breaking through a small set of waves the avatar picture to left is in flatter water at about 8K.

Attachments

• Moon-River-mountain-2-NR.jpg
    Moon-River-mountain-2-NR.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
eyshulman,
A level running boat is wonderful. Not totally level .. mostly level like yours. That's a big part of what makes long and narrow good.
Sometimes a short boat (like mine) will follow the waves better bobbing her bow up and down whereas long and narrow may need to do battle w every sea.
Most of the time though I'll take the long and narrow. Costs per foot at the marina though.

Thanks FlyWright for the acknowledgement. Island Sunset is a fun boat, lots of room, and a traditional look. Darin "Moonfish" has her sister, Traveler, and we enjoy seeing them in our local waters. Lots of fun!

Not quite underway, but out having fun!

Dolphins are always great to see & be so close to.

img_341452_0_35e5471113ee6876ef0ed385950b46b0.jpg

img_341452_1_0dab04dfad7d397889346db17b9c7ebc.jpg
img_341452_2_ccfd4bbbdf4423b0589bc4843321cf74.jpg

Al I see someone's paying attention.

I've actually got a 33# Claw on the bow now. First time my working anchor hasn't been stowed on deck. I'll probably switch to the truncated Supreme fairly soon. When we went to the Willard Rondy I didn't want one of my weird anchors boldly mounted for all to see and judge the sanity of the skipper. You guys know me so it's OK here. Not that I don't value your opinions.

Here we are at the Rondy. Looks like I was yell'in at the wife but actually I was sing'in her a love song.
Dang Eric looks like we have something else in common . Suspenders !!!! ( post # 75)
I started wearing them about 10 years ago when I caught noaassatol and can't leave the house without them . I figure they save me an hour a day .

Last edited:
"Dang Eric looks like we have something else in common . Suspenders !!!!"

Well if we leave the house w/o them ..... can't post it here.

This is the only pic I have with the boat cruising.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 76
Wow, this is really pitiful. We've technically owned this boat for a year and no pix yet of her underway?!? That will change this summer once the upgrades are finished. In the meantime, "underway" on land is the best I've got.

... The German "Buegelanker" features a simple single flat triangular fluke, with a roll-bar to ensure correct setting. A surprisingly simple design, this has proven more effective than its ancestors. ...

You'd need a helicopter for that shot b/c drones can't go that fast yet. I can get shots like that from a slow swinging bridge!

Was that shot taken before the retractable cockpit cover?

Al, that is a benefit of my boat being the photographic promo boat. It was taken by Billy Black who does a lot of work for Sabre. This was prior to delivery. It didn't cost me anything as I know a few people at Sabre.

Of course the satellite dome and retractable top were not on. The radar dome shown was changed out for an open array antanna. She still runs very Sweetly. You can probably see where the propeller pockets are.

By the way, when coming in the Boca Grande inlet I met Billy Black coming on his sail boat. He didn't know who I was, but knew it was a Sabre. He shot a picture. When we tied up at Boca Grande Marina, he was tied up behind us. Tapped on the boat, and got my e-mail address. He sent the picture that night. It was a misty dreary day, so didn't show well. You meet a lot of folks on the ICW.

Last edited:
It spent 18 years in Revelstoke, for the Forest Service, who used it as a crew/work boat to clean up the new reservoir. Then it was sold to Parks Canada who re-engined, stretched, added cargo decks, a crane and stabilizers, then it spent 5 years servicing the new Gwaii Haanas Park in the Queen Charlottes.

In between, it was privately owned and used for a yacht and dive charters. It's been to Alaska numerous times. It's outside will not be getting changed but the inside is getting "yachtier" and more comfortable although it will never be like my Grand Banks was inside. We crossed the Gulf the other day in 20-25 knot winds and 5 foot moderate seas and it was not uncomfortable. She has lots of windage and a shallow bow. Pulling up the anchor in 25 knot winds she turned 90 degrees on me before I could get from the windlass to the wheelhouse.

One thing for sure, I'll never see myself coming like Bayliner owners do!

Yes that's a great shot Al. A really nice picture but dosn't show you're boat well just because it's small in the picture. I have one a bit like that that has magnificent Alaska mountains in the background but Willy's so small you can just barely make out that it's Willy. Taken from a ferry deck and sent to me.

Taking good pics of one's boat underway is challenging or a matter of luck. I suspect Bob Cofer thought about that when he started this thread. I'm glad he did though. An idea for us is to have someone shoot us going through Decption Pass.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom