Old 06-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #141
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don that was a long time ago and I don't recall clearly what the engine configurations were on the boats. I know for sure the boat in your post #135 was/is a Mega 28. I think the older style hulls would support the aft weight of the outdrives better as they had a warped bottom and the Mega was constant deadrise or nearly so. But the Ray Hunt style hulls (deep Vee) of the day were extremely popular as were "V" drives. So Mega's w V drives would be a natural to get cabin space on that size boat. The Mega was designed by Kieth Walton and has a much different hullform than the traditional Uniflite's. I think the Mega was the only Uniflite that had lifting strakes on the bottom. I'm quite sure Walton designed the "Coastal Cruisers" that came after my departure. I liked the older boats better (especially the 27 and 31 foot boats). The 27 was narrow enough to possibly be more easily driven but most of the older hull style Uniflites required more power than most other boats.

Larry,
Good photo (as always) but it looks like Al's steam'in a bit. LaConner (where we moore) is very close to Deception Pass. And you put Al right in the favorite fishing spot.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #142
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Al: Isn't this you honking on it through Deception Pass?
LOL!! Could be me, but it's kinda small!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #143

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Here is Paloma steaming passed the South end of Whidbey Island on our way to Pleasant Harbor on the Hood Canal.

Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #144
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post
Here is Paloma steaming passed the South end of Whidbey Island on our way to Pleasant Harbor on the Hood Canal.

That's a great photo. I can almost feel the breeze, and anticipate the fun ahead. It looks like you really enjoy that boat.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #145

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Don, I owned Salty Dog version of your boat. She was express sport fishing, powered with Crusader 270 HP. Mine was built in 72, we used her as a charter boat in New England. Great boat had a lot of fun. Dry, comfortable ride and good economy for her era. The big cockpit was a plus in a boat her size. We did White Marlin fishing on her and had some success. we practice the tag an release method as well.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #146
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sortie View Post
Don, I owned Salty Dog version of your boat. She was express sport fishing, powered with Crusader 270 HP. Mine was built in 72, we used her as a charter boat in New England. Great boat had a lot of fun. Dry, comfortable ride and good economy for her era. The big cockpit was a plus in a boat her size. We did White Marlin fishing on her and had some success. we practice the tag an release method as well.

John
John, here's one similar to your Salty Dog. If you look carefully you may see the lifting strakes on the front of the hull. They had a deep forefoot for cutting head seas, but flatened to about 13 or so degrees at the stern. That made them run a little bow high. You had to keep that deep forefoot from biting too much water, or it would bow steer. It sure did make it comfortable in a head sea. The reverse chines were mostly responsible for the dry ride.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #147

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Don, that is correct. Mine had a small tower, she did ride bow high, I learned early on to be real gentle with the trim tabs. . She worked well in the New England rips for stripers and off shore for Tuna and Marlin.
John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #148

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
That's a great photo. I can almost feel the breeze, and anticipate the fun ahead. It looks like you really enjoy that boat.
Thanks, we have enjoyed her. Been good to us.
Papa Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #149
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
LOL!! Could be me, but it's kinda small!!
Very well then. Big boat, no steam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Al at deception pass big boat.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	41228  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #150
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
HH,

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #151
Guru

The older Uniflites probably rode more level w/o tabs. Especially the narrower ones like the 27.

Larry .. Gliding toward perfection.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #152
Scraping Paint

City: -
Don-- In looking at some photos on the web I believe that Uniflite that my friend had in Hawaii was indeed a Mega or if not a very similar model. He bought the boat new in 1974 or 5 and had it barged to Honolulu. He had a friend at Pearl Harbor machine a stainless plate that we bolted to the cockpit sole for reinforcement and then mounted a fighting chair on it. We also installed the outrigger mounts, rod holders, etc. Later he replaced the factory flying bridge seat bench with a much stronger, full-width bench he built himself. He felt the flying bridge sole flexed far too much under the stock bench.

I never saw the boat out of the water so I don't know if it had the lifting strakes on the hull or not. It did not have trim tabs. But other than in Kaneohe Bay we could never plane it anyway as the water was far too rough over there for that. He tried it once and it came off a swell so hard it cracked two stringers.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Don-- In looking at some photos on the web I believe that Uniflite that my friend had in Hawaii was indeed a Mega or if not a very similar model. He bought the boat new in 1974 or 5 and had it barged to Honolulu. He had a friend at Pearl Harbor machine a stainless plate that we bolted to the cockpit sole for reinforcement and then mounted a fighting chair on it. We also installed the outrigger mounts, rod holders, etc. Later he replaced the factory flying bridge seat bench with a much stronger, full-width bench he built himself. He felt the flying bridge sole flexed far too much under the stock bench.

I never saw the boat out of the water so I don't know if it had the lifting strakes on the hull or not. It did not have trim tabs. But other than in Kaneohe Bay we could never plane it anyway as the water was far too rough over there for that. He tried it once and it came off a swell so hard it cracked two stringers.
WOW!Cracking two stringers on a Uniflite is hard to do. There was no wood in the hulls. The stringers were foam cored hat sections bonded to the hull. For that matter the top deck was screwed and bonded to the hull at the deck seam. I came off some hard ones without cracking anything. The Mega had more cabin with the engines located aft near the transom. That change in balance may have done it.

The Salty Dog, Flybridge Sedan, and Mega were built on the same hulls. They all had lifting strakes. Unless I'm mistaken there was a lifetime warranty on the structure of the hull. Of course if they were out of business the warranty would be no good.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #154
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
WOW!Cracking two stringers on a Uniflite is hard to do. There was no wood in the hulls. The stringers were foam cored hat sections bonded to the hull. For that matter the top deck was screwed and bonded to the hull at the deck seam. I came off some hard ones without cracking anything..
We fished 10-20 miles or more off the north shore of Oahu most of the time although a few times we went east to the Molokai Channel. There was nothing in the water between us and Alaska--- the swells started there and headed for us. So it was pretty big water.

Today I would look a little askance at taking a 28' boat out there but back then it was the normal thing to do. Most of the other sport fishing boats were the same size except the charter boats which were somewhat larger. My friend's previous boat-- which I never saw--- was a locally-built, wood 20-footer powered by a Corvair engine. He fished the same waters with it.

Even on nice days we were often taking petty heavy spray over the venturi on the flying bridge of the Uniflite. IIRC our trolling speed was about 6 or 8 knots.

After a few years with the Uniflite my friend realized it was a poor choice for those waters--- why have a high-powered planing boat when you can't plane--- so he sold it and had a boat custom-built for him in Seattle (I don't know who built it). It had a heavily-built fiberglass displacement hull based on the then-typical PNW salmon troller hull and was powered with a single Volvo Penta turbocharged aftercooled diesel. It was about 30 feet or so long.

I fished with him on that boat for a year or so until I left Hawaii for here. It had a more active ride than the Uniflite but it was much better suited for the water we were in.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #155

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Best photos of your boat underway

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1434892446.977748.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	41260

If you look closely you can see the reflection of my boat underway off this guys gelcoat

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #156
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
She would do 30+ knots and we could land our helo on her too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CVN 65.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	41261  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #157
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
After I waked him big time on Sarasota Bay, I snapped some photos of Cardude as he was on his way back from Key West with his Island Packett PY Cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	41262  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #158
Guru

Walt,
Pic says 2015 but I think I see Crusaders (F8U) on the foredeck.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #159
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Walt,
Pic says 2015 but I think I see Crusaders (F8U) on the foredeck.
Along with McDonnell-Douglas F-4s.......
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #160
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
And, last but not least, Douglas A-4 Skyhawks (Scooters) . . . . . .

Walt, my boat was the "Hanna" but we often found Enterprise on Yankee Station. For non Navy types, only squadron members or ships company could refer to their ship as their 'boat', all others were expected to call her by her name. So, while the taxpayers owned the Hancock, she truly was 'my boat' . . . . . .