Oh no, there goes my cover!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #162
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: That's him. N4712. He's far more knowledgeable than he'll admit. He is still a kid but was doing all sorts of stuff with the electronics even a couple of years ago. There are other knowledgeable Nordhavn people here too. Just he's been the one to educate me.
Is he your son?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #163
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Is he your son?

Negative.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #164
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
You are still hung up on brands???
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 PM   #165
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.
Thank you. But i must ask why? From what I've read they seem to use less fuel but i learned long ago not to trust factory numbers in this regard for boats. Its not the cost of fuel that concerns me as much as the squandering of the earths non renewable resources. Why waste it if you don't have to. I like Greenline vessels because of this but they are not widely available and expensive. I do like the KK39, nice compact size with extreme range according to the factory
Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #166
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You are still hung up on brands???

I'm still waiting for an answer for the 40' DeFever he owned years ago and wishes he had never sold. When was it sold?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #167
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Negative.
hummm... is he a very astute old guy that acts like a sixteen year old?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #168
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Negative.

Spill the beans Oliver. You are wifey B's son and B's illegitimate stepson. The shame has caused you to succumb to your foot fetish satisfied by stealing boat shoes

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #169
Guru

Quote:
hummm... is he a very astute old guy that acts like a sixteen year old?

LOL, If anything it's the opposite.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #170
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Spill the beans Oliver. You are wifey B's son and B's illegitimate stepson. The shame has caused you to succumb to your foot fetish satisfied by stealing boat shoes
Wifey B: I would be proud if he was my son, but he isn't. He was also convicted on the shoe theft over completely circumstantial evidence. His trip out of the country was planned well before the show. Note that he's never been seen wearing them although would be a great improvement over his flip flops.

Now, get to bed. You have exams tomorrow....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #171
Guru

which is best: Nordhavn vs. Kadey Krogen

So uh, these Nordhavn's are pretty nice , eh?

(Slowly exits stage left and hauls butt out the backdoor)

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 06-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #172
Guru

Quote:
LOL, If anything it's the opposite.
If he hadn't told us, I don't think anyone here would know he wasn't four times his age. My wife and I were shocked the first time he told us.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #173
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Is he your son?
Dude,
I don't know where you are from, but around here (and I am not even from the south), it is considered to be the height of social offense to ask any question from which one might reasonably infer that you even could conceive the possibility that any particular woman is more than 28 years old. Shame on you.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #174
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm still waiting for an answer for the 40' DeFever he owned years ago and wishes he had never sold. When was it sold?
First of all it wasn't just my decision there were three of us and i was not able to shoulder the expenses alone. What you may be thinking of was my interest in one recently maybe six years ago and off topic this disscussion is regarding Nordhavn vs. KK.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #175
Guru

Quote:
First of all it wasn't just my decision there were three of us and i was not able to shoulder the expenses alone. What you may be thinking of was my interest in one recently maybe six years ago and off topic this disscussion is regarding Nordhavn vs. KK.
Hold it. We tolerate your topic and discussion and you're going to say "off topic" when you don't like a question. Your boating background and previous ownership is very much on topic for this thread as is the recommendation of other boats that might fit your needs better. We've all tried to assist in a discussion centered around basically a stupid and unanswerable question and that's how you're going to respond.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #176
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Dude,
I don't know where you are from, but around here (and I am not even from the south), it is considered to be the height of social offense to ask any question from which one might reasonably infer that you even could conceive the possibility that any particular woman is more than 28 years old. Shame on you.

opps........I scincerly appolojize for my indescresion. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. From my vantage point almost all women are young girls being almost 70
I mean i am almost 70
Old 06-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #177
Guru

Quote:
opps........I scincerly appolojize for my indescresion. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. From my vantage point almost all women are young girls being almost 70
I mean i am almost 70
Wifey B: I'm half your age then.

We have a daughter 4 years older than Oliver but then we didn't adopt her until she was 18. Guess not legally our daughter but to us she is.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm half your age then.
chuckle....your just a kid, my daughter is 50.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #179
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Britt-I would take anything you are told regarding fuel consumption on the Greenline with a grain of salt. I did a lot of research on diesel-electric hybrids and the reality is there is no real discernable difference in fuel consumption between a diesel hybrid and a traditional straight drive in the same boat. The largest verifiable difference I have ever been able to find is somewhat less than 3% and it derives from the diesel being run at nearly constant speed in a hybrid vs the variable speed in a direct drive. The physics is pretty straightforward. It takes the same energy to move the boat whether that energy reaches the shaft through a diesel generator driven electric motor or through a traditional engine/transmission setup.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Thank you. But i must ask why? ...... I do like the KK39, nice compact size with extreme range according to the factory
No mystery, no bias. All boats are compromises and are designed to fit a certain market and purpose. The Krogens and Nordhavns, in general, are full displacement single engine boats designed for long distance travel. Many times I have posted that I would not recommend a Krogen (or unsaid a Nordhavn) for someone looking to do the Great Loop or spend time on the ICW. For that use I recommend other boats where the features match the intended use.

Between the Krogen and the Nordhavn lines, the Nordhavn designers have made design choices such as small "rooms", small windows, waterproof bulkheads, location of staterooms, fuel tank manifolds, etc etc which increase the useability of the boat in heavy seas such as one could encounter crossing an ocean. These features are wonderful for that purpose but they make the Nordhavn boats slightly more expensive and slightly less livable when island hopping, living at anchor or just cruising the the North American East Coast.

Thus if one were to plan on multiple trips across oceans where the distances are larger than weather forecasting windows, or even if one were to plan on trips to Hawaii, the South Pacific, or even just numerous runs down the California coast to Mexico I would recommend the Nordhavn line.

The Krogens however are more livable, cheaper and perfectly capable of all the island hopping one wants to do in the Caribbean.

Your plans for fishing in a full displacement boat are somewhat unusual, but what you describe does not take you more than two days from shore. These distances mean that you should have fairly good weather coverage and should avoid the worst of the weather.