Old 06-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #141
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
What, what, what?....

I think you're exaggerating my knowledge, I know my boat inside out. But appreciate the kind words.
I think Oliver is trying to keep it a secret from the OP, but he once told me about this exceptionally hard to find Nordy 46 WorldFish Cruiser. It may be more rare than a safe pair of boat shoes on Oliver's dock, but it just might be the answer to the OP's desires.
Attached Thumbnails
Nordhavn 46 Sport Fish.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I have no experience with either and the reason for this thread was to entice owners to relate their experience. No one yet has said which is better. Yes, both together would be nice. Don't have cash to buy both a Nordhavn and a KK. Guess its time to buy a lottery ticket.....or two...
Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #143
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Which is better. Now that I have a little more feel for what you are going to do, I suggest the Krogen.
Sorry, Marty ...I think it's the Nordy!
Old 06-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #144
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Peter-that's an "industry term"!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #145
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Peter-that's an "industry term"!
One of my all-time favorite movies....
Old 06-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #146
Guru

But to finish out Miss Vito's dialog, the reason it's a bullshit question is because neither the Kadey nor the Nordy is optimized for the use described by the OP. So the answer would be neither. Go look at boats more geared towards fishing. At a bare minimum you will benefit from a larger cockpit without an overhang. And also get a VHF so you will know several days in advance of the feared Force 10 storm and can go home.

And now it's time to move on from this circular discussion.....
Old 06-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #147
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We considered the Nordhavns for about two years since I have three brothers back in Ireland who wanted to do the Atlantic crossing. Our home was about to be paid up and retirement was in two years. We visited with the N folks many times, joined Nordhavn Dreamers forum etc.. We were coming up on decision time we sat back and considered some things.

First, my wife was not interested in doing the crossing. So we would be buying this for myself and others, not us. Additionally once you cross an ocean you have to come back. Was I really interested in doing that - or paying ~40K to ship her back?

Depreciation. Did I really want to take a bigger depreciation hit in retirement?

Longer term plans:

I always wanted to live on deep water with the boat at the bottom of the garden or in an adjoining marina.
We wanted to do The Loop, afterwards the islands all the way down to the ABC islands, and either back the same way or around the Western Carribbean. Our real dream ticket was to do the Panama Canal, Sea of Cortez, and the North West.

We made the call based on our longer term wants and dreams rather than the one-off big adventure.

We sold the house and bought an appreciating asset on the water, with a dock we recently expanded to 54'.
We expanded our boat check-list based on in-land, coastal, Island, with occasional blue water between-the-islands and large lake crossing, and a boat that could handle what would in all likelihood be thrown at us.
We had a number of false starts, but we feel we have ended up exactly where we needed to be, with no remorse.

So think carefully on your longer term plans, what life you want in retirement and where you want to go. Be careful buying for the one-off, that may or may not happen.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000603.jpg   YW1.JPG  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #148
Guru

Excellent advice!
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
My thoughts on a cruising boat. For the cruiser who wants to travel, not go back to the home marine for months or years, spend four or more months a year at anchor and is east of the Panama Canal, I suggest the cruiser will be more constrained by having a boat too long or with too much air draft than a boat not big enough to handle the seas for the East Coast or the Caribbean. The canals in North American are an important part of cruising, these are limited to 19ft air draft. The mooring balls at Annapolis and several East Coast harbors are limited to boats under 50 feet (45 for Annapolis).

Yet a 42 ft Krogen and many 46 and 40 ft Nordhavns have crossed the Atlantic.

All boats are compromises, what you give up to be able to handle Force X winds and seas may be very important to enjoying your time on the boat. Better to avoid the heavy seas.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #150

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
To the OP: I'm curious. I admit, I haven't read EVERY post here, but have read quite a few. Why has Diesel Duck not entered your equation? Again, I'm just curious, but as far as passagemaking and rough seas, it seems like a good fit to me.........just asking.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #151
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I think Oliver is trying to keep it a secret from the OP, but he once told me about this exceptionally hard to find Nordy 46 WorldFish Cruiser. It may be more rare than a safe pair of boat shoes on Oliver's dock, but it just might be the answer to the OP's desires.
Heck if you can't find this rare 46 you could always go for the Nordhavn 75 Yachtfisher.

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart
Attached Thumbnails
main-72f0e122daf11310e5698aef441c2dea656c752c[1].jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #152
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
The subject, even though trolled initially, is a good one as it points out purpose built vessels not always being used for that purpose. There is no denying though that like works of art and Teslas, some well built and serious boats are a step or three above mundane and are nice to have.

The list stretches well beyond Ns and KKs. About a dozen brands come to mind, TF member Ed and his Devlin as example. Or the more common Flemings to name a few.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #153
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
The yachtfish 75 is the perfect answer to the question....although a bit large...and expensive. What about other Yachtfish designs??? Hatteras made a few...Bertram made a few. I know there were some taiwanese builds also. They are older and likely Detroit 2 stroke power....but back it down to 8 knots, the speed of the boats in the OP, and you get "decent" fuel economy. And if you need to get out of the weather, you have the power and speed to do so.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #154
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The yachtfish 75 is the perfect answer to the question....although a bit large...and expensive. What about other Yachtfish designs??? Hatteras made a few...Bertram made a few. I know there were some taiwanese builds also. They are older and likely Detroit 2 stroke power....but back it down to 8 knots, the speed of the boats in the OP, and you get "decent" fuel economy. And if you need to get out of the weather, you have the power and speed to do so.
If fishing is that important, it would be hard to beat a used Hatteras sportfisher. It would already be set up for offshore fishing, saving tens of thousands of dollars. And when it came time to sell you wouldn't have something that you'd have to explain. They can go fast or slow, the build quality and factory support is extremely high, and the value unparalleled.

Keith
Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #155
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Hey...more than one sportfish has made it across the Atlantic on her own bottom....

Some guy was in one of the popular rags a few years ago and was on his 2nd or 3rd transatlantic in one of his sportfish.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #156
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Peter-also one of my all-time favorites!

Menzies-every time a new thread starts-"What kind of boat should I buy?", we should just point them to your last post and tell them to go for it. Sounds like you really defined your wants and needs well and then found the boat that most meets them. Congrats!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #157
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hey...more than one sportfish has made it across the Atlantic on her own bottom....

Some guy was in one of the popular rags a few years ago and was on his 2nd or 3rd transatlantic in one of his sportfish.
Fuel is their only real drawback, so just lots of bladders.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #158
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Go study for your exams, Oliver.....

Oh, and everything I know about Nordhavn's, I've learned from Oliver, cause he knows them inside and out, up and down, every size, every build.

Go walk the docks and sit down and talk at length to some owners of different boats. You'll learn a lot. Talk to them about their boats, not the competitor. And get far far far far far...did I say, far?....yes, far away from the freaking brokers or dealers who feel necessary to take pot shots at the other brands.
Yes thank you. That was one of the reasons i started this thread.
i had decided it was time to move to what i think are the best reasonable priced blue water trawlers, not new but well used. I thought a title like, Nordhavn vs. Kady Krogen would get owners to post why they thought their's were the better. Instead people took the time to recommend different models and brands which has taught me so much and confirmed in my mind the NH and KK are very fine vessels of this type. I am very thankful to all for their comments. I've concluded i should just get out there and visit as many of both brands that i can before i plunk down cash that once spent i'm not likely to be able to replace easily.
I'm sorry, but who is Oliver? Sounds like he is the man i need to talk to If I end up finding a Nordahvn.
Dealers Brokers while being a good source of info i see as leeches sucking huge amounts of hard earned money from owners. The commission rates are way way to high with the price of boats as high as they are. I think they should charge a set fee and add expenses like mooring etc.
Just my opinion. So far i have found only a couple for sale by owner most are listed with brokers.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #159
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I'm sorry, but who is Oliver?
I gather, and I mean no disrespect by this, that he is a kid (ie, 16ish) with a shoe fetish.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #160
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I gather, and I mean no disrespect by this, that he is a kid (ie, 16ish) with a shoe fetish.
Wifey B: That's him. N4712. He's far more knowledgeable than he'll admit. He is still a kid but was doing all sorts of stuff with the electronics even a couple of years ago. There are other knowledgeable Nordhavn people here too. Just he's been the one to educate me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote