Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #81
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Isnt the KK hull design similiar to a sailboat hull? At least they look similiar to me
Mine certainly is. Full keel, double ender.

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #82

City: Green Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Your comparison of a Nordhavn with or without a flybridge is with the knowledge of whether ballast was added to compensate?

And of course you know stability and survivability aren't directly related?
Quite so.

In vessels with water tight compartments, survive-ability generally refers to a number of major compartments which can be flooded and to what degree. If dealing with those unfortunate situations, decisions may be made to flood adjacent or opposite compartments to improve stability up to, of course, the limit of survive-ability.

As has been pointed out earlier, many times the crew becomes the limiting factor in survive-ability.
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 PM   #83
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Quite so.

In vessels with water tight compartments, survive-ability generally refers to a number of major compartments which can be flooded and to what degree. If dealing with those unfortunate situations, decisions may be made to flood adjacent or opposite compartments to improve stability up to, of course, the limit of survive-ability.

As has been pointed out earlier, many times the crew becomes the limiting factor in survive-ability.
Are you discussing a 40 to 60 footer or a naval vessel?

Any one here intentionally further flood a 50 footer to improve stability/survivability? Sure one in a bazillion....

And no.......not really....a single compartment vessel that can be made entirely watertight and can roll a million times and survive...as in most small sailboats and ocean crossing rowboats, etc...etc...

Please...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Isnt the KK hull design similiar to a sailboat hull? At least they look similiar to me
One of the boaters in St. Lucia has a Krogen sailboat, hulls look similar from the water.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Is there anyone out there with blue water experiance that hasne been caught by a storm with there pants down?
Yes.

We know we will one day, but we're over 60,000 nm, much of it offshore, and we've never been caught like that. However, we follow weather closely, we always have a planned escape path if conditions appear to be changing rapidly. There are those occasional rogue situations but for 99% plus of situations, you shouldn't get caught unless crossing a very large body of water. Has it turned out to be 6-8' instead of 3-4'? Yes, but I'd never go far out in 3-4' if I couldn't handle 6-8'.

I'm not saying to not be prepared. What I am saying is that you seem to be very focused on huge storms and it sounds like you're bent on taking risks that you don't need to take. How far offshore do you fish?

When you're crossing the Atlantic or Pacific with 8 to 14 day trips then storms can develop while you're out. That exceeds the safety factors of weather forecasting. Still most who get caught even then, should have had clues to prevent them from making the attempt. Often they should have waited or taken a different route.

In all likelihood if you get caught in a hurricane or typhoon or Force 10 conditions, you made a huge mistake to put you in that position. I'd really focus on learning more about weather, weather at sea, weather tracking resources, and preventive measures. If the forecast is at your upper limits then don't go. Don't leave no room for error. If the seas are 6-8', then don't go if you are worried about handling 10' seas or even 12'. Now, it's fine if you feel safe in greater just don't find it pleasant, but don't ever go up to your maximum safety level.

Boating should be pleasant. It's not us against nature, at least not those here on this site. Some sailors see it that way, a challenge, survival of the fittest. They want to show what they can handle and put themselves in danger. There are yacht owners who get upset when their captain says no and the worse mistake a captain can make is to give in to the owner's anger at that point. Those here, myself included, would rather stay anchored or at the marina than put ourselves through a miserable trip. I know what each boat I've been on can handle and have confidence in my ability, but I sure don't want to experience it or to test myself in that regard.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:46 PM   #86
Guru

[QUOTE=BandB;447779]Yes.

We know we will one day, but we're over 60,000 nm, much of it offshore, and we've never been caught like that.

Wifey B: I must make a slight correction. The question asked was could he say he'd never been caught by a storm with his pants down. That could be interpreted multiple ways and in at least one of my interpretations, he has been, but the storm had nothing to do with his pants being down.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #87
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Mine certainly is. Full keel, double ender.

Do you go around showing your naked bottom to everyone?

I think because of the shape of your nice rounded bottom you get better gas mileage than others with flatter bottoms. A Nordhavn 40 at 6knts gets 3400 and a kk39 at 6knts gets 4400 according to manufacturers published specs.
What do you think?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #88
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
One of the boaters in St. Lucia has a Krogen sailboat, hulls look similar from the water.
At kk's website they have a drawing and the design reminds me of the rawson, westsail, downeast, etc. type sailboats. Not popular anymore too slow but the design is strong solid
Old 05-31-2016, 07:51 PM   #89
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Believe my boat is more "survivable" than any of its human contents. That's why I've stayed inland.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Believe my boat is more "survivable" than any of its human contents. That's why I've stayed inland.
you still down there hiding behind that bridge<smile>. But its the human error that will sinK your boat not your boat
Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #91
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
you still down there hiding behind that bridge<smile>. But its the human error that will sinK your boat not your boat
Yes suh!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Yes suh!

yeah, i thought that was you i saw peeking from behind the bridge.
I'm often in the Korth's marina area or in Charleston Oregon at the entrance to Coos Bay

Nice pix thanks for posting.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:08 AM   #93

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
KK's are fine boats, no question, and will do what you want.
Our choice was Nordhavn, & no regrets. INFINITY has traversed God's blue earth once before, and we are well on our way to her 2nd circumnavigation. Currently in Tahiti, we're bound for New Zealand at the end of the month, via the South Pacific Islands.

Either boat will do what you want, you can't lose. Make it happen
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #94
FF
Guru

"Either boat will do what you want, you can't lose."

"But the truth is i mostly fish and want a boat that can handle a typhoon or hurricane and force 10 winds seas."

Pretty doubtful that either boat would survive the OP desirement for a boat for

"boat that can handle a typhoon or hurricane".at sea.

Most folks use and respect the weather forecast.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
Our choice was Nordhavn, & no regrets. INFINITY has traversed God's blue earth once before, and we are well on our way to her 2nd circumnavigation. Currently in Tahiti, we're bound for New Zealand at the end of the month, via the South Pacific Islands.

Must note that you have a significantly larger boat than he is talking about and there is a lot of difference between 62' and 40-46'. While people do what you have done in smaller boats, I'd sure feel far more comfortable doing it in yours.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post

Thanks
What a beautiful vessel. But at the speed you are currently traveling at its going to take you a long long time to get around the world. Just curious what is your fuel burn at cruising speed?
I've recieved tons of great advice but i still can't nake up my mind. KK seems to be slightly more fuel eficient but Nordhavn appears to have the edge in quality of build. Just my observations I have yet to get on board any of them. Guess thats my next step
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
KK seems to be slightly more fuel eficient but Nordhavn appears to have the edge in quality of build. Just my observations I have yet to get on board any of them. Guess thats my next step
They are very different boats in many ways. However, the fuel efficiency between the two is irrelevant. Here's why I'm saying that. When you consider the entire cost of owning and operating those two boats, the difference in fuel costs will be so insignificant in the total picture you won't even see it if you don't look carefully. Fuel for us is about 8% of our total costs, but let's say for a moment it's 10% for you. Then say there is a 20% difference between two boats. That means it impacts your cost of ownership by 2%.

If you were talking a Fountain vs. a KK then it would be significant.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They are very different boats in many ways. However, the fuel efficiency between the two is irrelevant. Here's why I'm saying that. When you consider the entire cost of owning and operating those two boats, the difference in fuel costs will be so insignificant in the total picture you won't even see it if you don't look carefully. Fuel for us is about 8% of our total costs, but let's say for a moment it's 10% for you. Then say there is a 20% difference between two boats. That means it impacts your cost of ownership by 2%.

If you were talking a Fountain vs. a KK then it would be significant.
I just keep thinking of plunking down $3500 bucks to fill the tank. I'm still in the go fast mode like your fountain. My Grady was fast and the tanks emptied in direct porportion to the speed. But then their is a diference between 6-7knts and 50+.....The tank full in either will last for 3,000 + miles
But your right, the fuel is a small item in the cost of ownership.
The truth is between a kk and a Nordhavn there is no"better", they both are fine boats and either will do the job even if very slowly

My number one concern is safety and comfort at sea for two three weeks and either will do that. There's a broker in Seattle that wants me to drop by and go out with him and maybe i should do that. He is a kk dealer i think and like's the 39
Theirs another in Washington that tells me kk's are no good they have water intrusion issues and a Nordhavn or Selene is the way to go.
To be honest i would rather just buy from an owner direct.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #99
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Can't decide which to buy Nord 40 to 46 or a kady same size range. Looking for extreme range and the ability to stay weeks at sea. Any suggestions?

I think if you have to ask, you haven't done your research. Anyone willing to put that kind of money down, will have a good idea of what they feel is important.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #100

City: Green Country
Quote:
Theirs another in Washington that tells me kk's are no good they have water intrusion issues and a Nordhavn or Selene is the way to go.
Let me venture a guess, he carries those two brands?
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote