Old 09-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
My Whaler 13 always did well with 2 cycle 25HP, I never saw the need for more and they weren't built for more weight on the transom as mentioned above. That said, I never used it as a tender b/c they tow badly and are so heavy they want to come through your transom when you stop or back down if towing. Make sure you crane and its fitments are up to the weight b/c they are heavy.
That's interesting, my 2005 130 Sport tows like a dream, and we've towed it some pretty sporty conditions. We just tilted it down a tad so only the skeg was in the water. Tow them back aways, on about the back of the second wave of your wake, and they won't get near your transom. Pull the thing in tight to the platform/transom when engaging in close quarters manuevers, keeping in mind your boat is now another 15 feet long; and you want to go real slow and rig correctly so it doesn't go askew especially in reverse. We got a lot of practice doing all that as we liked to use the Whaler from our eventual home slip, which was full length dock starboard side, same side the davit dispensed the dinghy on. So for frequent short jogs to Cape Lookout, we just towed the thing to and fro.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Sport Cruiser
I chose a Suzuki 20 this year based on good reviews, their EFI in small outboards and, largely, because it was the lightest OB in it's size and I'm on the edge of my davit rated capacity. Happen to have the brochure here on my desk - they make a 25 electric at 140 lbs that might fit your boat nicely. 30 electric is 158. I was really pleased with the motor so far but only have 1 summer in.

Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Check these out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	56733  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I had a 13' Sport and put a 3 cylinder Yamaha F40 on it. Too much weight in the stern. The boat porpoised badly with one person on board no matter what the OB trim. A 2 cyl 4 stroke 20 or 25 hp is plenty.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Kevin, we have two 13' Whalers,. The one here in WA is a 2010 that has a 40hp 4 stroke Merc with elect start, tilt/trim, and pushes the boat along at a nice easy 22mph cruise speed with two in it and two 6-gallon fuel tanks.

The one in AZ is a 1981 with a 40hp 2-stroke Evinrude with elect start and tilt/trim. It runs at about the same speed similarly loaded.

The newer one rides a lot better due to the hull design and heavier weight but the older one actually feels more like you're driving a sporty boat.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Kevin, BTW, if you do buy Whaler PM me and I'll some send you some great Whaler links.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #27

City: 616 Daniel Island, SC
Had a Boston 13, 35 hsp. Evinrude 1983. The best and ONLY Good deal I have ever made on a boat. Mine had lots of wood, beautiful, hope your does. Pretty heavy tender, but if she looks good, what the hell! Don't need to be runn'n around with no ugly girls.
wrwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Kevin, BTW, if you do buy Whaler PM me and I'll some send you some great Whaler links.
I do have a Whaler and would be interested in same, if you have something beyond what I already posted. T.I.A!

As a few posts have shown, like GFC's, what year the boat hails from has a lot to do with it, generalizations are irrelevant info.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
It's sitting on its trailer in my yard right now, so please send the links.

I launched it, tried it out on two different occasions, and left it tied up at the dock in front of my home, so I could look at how it sits in the water.

With the 30HP 2 stroke that is not running perfect it planes quickly and runs around very well. I also like the attitude of the boat with the 30hp engine (120 lbs)

I am leaning very heavily towards a 20 HP engine, based on weight as a priority over HP
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #30
Guru

City: Northport
"I am leaning very heavily towards a 20 HP engine, based on weight as a priority over HP"
Based upon your clearly thought out goals that sounds like a fantastic choice to me.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We repower we our '67 whaler with a 30hp Nissan (4S) from a 35 Johnson (2 stroke). Worked great.

Were I to do it now, I 2nd the vote for the Suzuki 20hp EFI.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #32
FF
Guru

A simple rule of thumb is you will get 1 mpg for each HP.on a 13 ft BW

So a 18hp will cruise well at 18mph, a 35 will go 35 .

If you are going to use a crane to bring it aboard I have the SS lifting gear and mounting set for a single point lift.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

If you are going to use a crane to bring it aboard I have the SS lifting gear and mounting set for a single point lift.
Is this something you're not using and would like to sell, or share the measurement of ???

A lifting harness is something I am going to have to come up with.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradenvlp View Post
I chose a Suzuki 20 this year based on good reviews, their EFI in small outboards and, largely, because it was the lightest OB in it's size and I'm on the edge of my davit rated capacity. Happen to have the brochure here on my desk - they make a 25 electric at 140 lbs that might fit your boat nicely. 30 electric is 158. I was really pleased with the motor so far but only have 1 summer in.
I think I am probably going to go with the Suzuki 20hp electric start, power tilt model. I just got a $3400 delivered quote and that includes the side mount shifter.

With all the discussion of carb vs EFI, and the reliability I have seen with EFI in larger engines, the Suzuki seems like a good choice.

www.mvlisasway.com