Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
You never spare $$ when it comes to safety.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Hard to determine real safety through marketing hype...

Every piece of safety gear I wore in 20 years flying for the USCG wasn't USCG "approved".

USCG approval is usually based on "sailor proofness" and for the dullest tack in the box...if you are neither...seek out what the real pros use when their lives depend on it and the USCG is only one of many orgs....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Guru

You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish.

Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the shit out of you.

JMHO...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish. Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the shit out of you. JMHO...
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
"Bess and I want to get inflatable PFD's this year. She tells me Mustang is the best"

You should listen to her....................
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
"Bess and I want to get inflatable PFD's this year. She tells me Mustang is the best"

You should listen to her....................
Why no?
Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
You buy established brands with an excellent reputation. Select the PFD that best suits your use and make sure you are comfortable with the fit and finish.

Nothing like having a rag hanging around your neck that irritates the shit out of you.

JMHO...
Not a bad start but sure no guarantee you are even in the same ballpark when it comes to safety gear...remember...even the "big names" have to meet a standard that is created for the lowest common denominator.

Things like straps and buckles and zippers...they are for ease of donning and durability...not necessarily what works best for you.

Look at the BOLD PRINT on many of the inflatables...it says that ANY alteration will render the USCG approval void...even if you add a crotch strap that you have tested and know it works....it doesn't matter to the bureaucracy...

In the USCG we often tested "civilian" gear when I was in polar operation...most of it was vastly superior. I was on a letter writing campaign demanding better cold water immersion flight gear. We used to fly in double wet suits and couldn't safely fly due to the restriction of movement....it took almost 10 years to catch up with goretex drysuits with fleece undergarments...civilian market no problem but getting stuff through Wash, DC is like getting stuff through Congress.

Like USCG flares...carry what is required for the safety inspection...but buy the living daylights out of SOLAS flares, lasers, strobes, etc...etc as USCG flares are all but useless....well they are OK 10% of the time maybe....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Not a bad start but sure no guarantee you are even in the same ballpark when it comes to safety gear...remember...even the "big names" have to meet a standard that is created for the lowest common denominator.

Things like straps and buckles and zippers...they are for ease of donning and durability...not necessarily what works best for you.

Look at the BOLD PRINT on many of the inflatables...it says that ANY alteration will render the USCG approval void...even if you add a crotch strap that you have tested and know it works....it doesn't matter to the bureaucracy...

In the USCG we often tested "civilian" gear when I was in polar operation...most of it was vastly superior. I was on a letter writing campaign demanding better cold water immersion flight gear. We used to fly in double wet suits and couldn't safely fly due to the restriction of movement....it took almost 10 years to catch up with goretex drysuits with fleece undergarments...civilian market no problem but getting stuff through Wash, DC is like getting stuff through Congress.

Like USCG flares...carry what is required for the safety inspection...but buy the living daylights out of SOLAS flares, lasers, strobes, etc...etc as USCG flares are all but useless....well they are OK 10% of the time maybe....
And we can all die. Which we are all going to do anyway.

Make your best choice and hopefully it will work out. If not then please tell me what the other side is all about...
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #29

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
All my family has Mustangs, I wear a Spinloc Deckvest 5D. The Spinloc is a remnant of my sailing days, a bit pricey but extremely comfortable, has D-rings to attach to a jackline as well as a lifting point at the back of the collar should the wearer need to be lifted aboard.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I also have a spin lock deck vest but an older model. Extremely comfortable, it doesn't rest on my neck at all. Matt has a mustang off shore auto inflate.

We've both had a few different auto inflate PFDs over the years. My first was a west marine brand and after a couple years the Velcro wouldn't stay closed and the co2 cartridge hung out the side. Then matt got me a mustang, which was comfortable, but it was not the offshore model so it didn't have a built in harness. Since we were sailing offshore i needed the harness so he got me the spin lock. I'd say get the built in harness for what you'll be doing. Try on some different models and see what's comfortable.

www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote