Best eateries along your journey...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Billy's Boathouse Grill on the ICW south of Jacksonville! Great Mayport shrimp and smoked fish dip place! :)

Big River Grill on the Tennessee river Chattanooga, tie up at Ross Landing and walk three blocks, also great micro brew house along with great menu.

As I have posted and photographically documented on the galley gadget thread, we don't need no stinkin' eateries! And we certainly don't know any on the water in Colombia, though I am sure there are some because the food down there is generally awesome.

Corky Bell's on the St John's river 1/4mile up stream from Palatka, Florida on the east bank, tie up to the free dock.

Last edited:
A short three minute taxi ride from the Marina Chahue in Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico you will find an incredible restaurant that goes by the name Cafe Viena. It's owned by two crazy Austrians (Helmut & Manfred) and they serve up some of the best dishes. They specialize in Asian, Thai, Italian and of course Austrian food. Great desserts too!

Viena Huatulco, Huatulco - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Be sure to drop by if you're your way up or down the Mexican Pacific coast.

P.S. If you want to get your land legs back for a short while along with enjoying a spectacular sunset you're welcome to stop by my place for a sunset cocktail.

Quinta Alegria in Huatulco

Last edited:
I second Don's recommendation of Cap's On the Water, although the dockage stinks - rickety wooden floating sections, exposed to the wake of every passing vessel. Bring your fenders and fender boards.

On Florida's west coast, Cabbage Key, at ICW marker #60 in Pine Island Sound. Use their dock or (my preference) anchor just across the ICW in the cove along the SW corner of Useppa Island, and dinghy over.

Cabbage Key Inn, Marina and Restaurant - Pine Island Sound, Florida

Their cheeseburger recalls the lyrics of Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise. But then so too does the cheeseburger at Rhymer's Beach Bar, on the west side of Tortola, looking out over Cane Garden Bay toward the lights of St. Thomas twinkling in the west . . .

Greetings,
One place I would NOT recommend is Coinjock Marina south of Norfolk on the ICW (MM 50). They advertise "world famous" prime rib but as a result of buying it on 3 separate occasions it's very poor quality and a waste of money. Another loser is Groupers in Elizabeth City NC BUT Cypress Creek Grill (right across the street from the public dock in EC) is a definite win.
Dockside Grill at Lamb's Marina about 5 miles north of EC on the Dismal Swamp route is quite good and the marina is a great stop. Diesel, gas and provisions available with a courtesy car if necessary.

Last edited:
Great thread. Waterfront restaurant. St James city, Fl. Anything over 20ft, dinghy in probably best. Dive restaurant that fills up with locals at lunch. Nothing super special, just a fun place to eat. Deep fried cheesecake is awesome. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690542.147276.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690555.380006.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690565.365972.jpg

I second Don's recommendation of Cap's On the Water, although the dockage stinks - rickety wooden floating sections, exposed to the wake of every passing vessel. Bring your fenders and fender boards.

On Florida's west coast, Cabbage Key, at ICW marker #60 in Pine Island Sound. Use their dock or (my preference) anchor just across the ICW in the cove along the SW corner of Useppa Island, and dinghy over.

Cabbage Key Inn, Marina and Restaurant - Pine Island Sound, Florida

Their cheeseburger recalls the lyrics of Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise. But then so too does the cheeseburger at Rhymer's Beach Bar, on the west side of Tortola, looking out over Cane Garden Bay toward the lights of St. Thomas twinkling in the west . . .

Couldn't agree more about Cabbage Key. Fun place to visit. Just stow your gear or risk it being plundered by the water thieves. Was funny watching the otters jump onboard boats and go through people's stuff in search of food. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690853.213458.jpg

Dolphin view restaurant in New Smyrna, Florida.

Is it a reflection of our fair city that you can actually travel by boat via the St John's to two Hooters restaurants in Jax?

Downtown at the Landing and at Goodby's Creek!

A short three minute taxi ride from the Marina Chahue in Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico you will find an incredible restaurant that goes by the name Cafe Viena. It's owned by two crazy Austrians (Helmut & Manfred) and they serve up some of the best dishes. They specialize in Asian, Thai, Italian and of course Austrian food. Great desserts too!

Viena Huatulco, Huatulco - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

I have no idea how to classify them. I didn't know how before I ate there, nor after. Absolutely a crazy place with great food of so many different types. We were only stopped there for a night and weren't planning on even going to a restaurant, but were talked into it by the staff of the marina. I'm not normally a schnitzel fan, but it was great and the seafood was as well. We had an adventurous group so a wide variety was sampled.

A warning though, they do close for something like 4 months in the summer.

Is it a reflection of our fair city that you can actually travel by boat via the St John's to two Hooters restaurants in Jax?

Downtown at the Landing and at Goodby's Creek!

Last time we ate at a Hooters was in Cancun. lol

Gill's by the Bay in Eureka, CA (55 Halibut Ave.) is great. The onion rings are to die for. Reasonably priced. The owner is a former whaler/fisherman, and he might initiate a friendly conversation with you as he did us.

I have no idea how to classify them. I didn't know how before I ate there, nor after. Absolutely a crazy place with great food of so many different types. We were only stopped there for a night and weren't planning on even going to a restaurant, but were talked into it by the staff of the marina. I'm not normally a schnitzel fan, but it was great and the seafood was as well. We had an adventurous group so a wide variety was sampled.

A warning though, they do close for something like 4 months in the summer.

I'd describe Cafe Viena as a fusion of several Asian countries with an Austrian base and an Italian twist. :rolleyes:

Yes, they do close for a few of months during the summer but most boaters will not be heading north or south in that region since it's prime hurricane season.

F.Y.I. - They make an great Kaiserschmarrn (meaning 'the emperor's mishmash'), a traditional Austrian dessert.

Last edited:
I'd describe Cafe Viena as a fusion of several Asian countries with an Austrian base and an Italian twist...F.Y.I. - They make an great Kaiserschmarrn (meaning 'the emperor's mishmash'), a traditional Austrian dessert.
Don`t miss the kaiserschmarrn,it`s a kind of chopped pancake, with fruits,icing sugar, etc, though I bet the recipe varies, we used to get it at the long gone Salzburg Cellar here.
It`s very much a personal thing, but I don`t think the words "Mexican" and "food" belong together. :hide:

In BC, Genoa Bay Cafe at Genoa Bay, Vancouver Island; Shipyard Restaurant and Pub, Maple Bay, Vancouver Island; Silva Bay Restaurant and Pub at Silva Bay, Gabriola Island; Penny's Palapa Restaurant, Port Authority Harbor in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island.

Cricket Cove on the ICW just south of little river inlet (easy in easy out cheap fuel too) You wont believe the fried green tomatoes !!

In BC, Genoa Bay Cafe at Genoa Bay, Vancouver Island; Shipyard Restaurant and Pub, Maple Bay, Vancouver Island; Silva Bay Restaurant and Pub at Silva Bay, Gabriola Island; Penny's Palapa Restaurant, Port Authority Harbor in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island.

Were you following us.............:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I can't choose just one. If forced I'd choose Peter Luger in Brooklyn because I'm partial to steaks. Maybe a favorite in each location might be possible. We eat on board more than some and less than others, but one of the pleasures of cruising is sampling new restaurants and cuisine along the way.

Our best tool for restaurant selection? Google Maps. Typing in "Restaurants near xxx" and looking at the ratings and reviews. Better than word of mouth? In some cases. Just know if the person sharing has tastes similar to yours. There's one ICW restaurant in NC that we've heard various people absolutely rave about, but we became a little suspicious as it seemed the quantity of food was what they were talking about or, in the case of one person I know, it's a steak house and he gets the hamburger as that's what he gets everywhere. Second worst Prime Rib I've ever had and it's hard to have bad prime rib. Coinjock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom