Old 10-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Best eateries along your journey...

A recent post about some good Mexican food prompted me to start this thread about experiencing great food while cruising aboard your boat.

Tell us about a favorite eatery you discovered along some of your journeys.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Billy's Boathouse Grill on the ICW south of Jacksonville! Great Mayport shrimp and smoked fish dip place!

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Big River Grill on the Tennessee river Chattanooga, tie up at Ross Landing and walk three blocks, also great micro brew house along with great menu.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Caps on the Water ICW just north of St. Augustine.

Cap's On The Water - St. Augustine, FL

Bouy 12A Restaurant, Fishermans Wharf, Ft. Pierce

http://www.yelp.com/biz/12a-buoy-fort-pierce
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
As I have posted and photographically documented on the galley gadget thread, we don't need no stinkin' eateries! And we certainly don't know any on the water in Colombia, though I am sure there are some because the food down there is generally awesome.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Corky Bell's on the St John's river 1/4mile up stream from Palatka, Florida on the east bank, tie up to the free dock.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #7

A short three minute taxi ride from the Marina Chahue in Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico you will find an incredible restaurant that goes by the name Cafe Viena. It's owned by two crazy Austrians (Helmut & Manfred) and they serve up some of the best dishes. They specialize in Asian, Thai, Italian and of course Austrian food. Great desserts too!

Viena Huatulco, Huatulco - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Be sure to drop by if you're your way up or down the Mexican Pacific coast.

P.S. If you want to get your land legs back for a short while along with enjoying a spectacular sunset you're welcome to stop by my place for a sunset cocktail.

Quinta Alegria in Huatulco
Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #8

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
I second Don's recommendation of Cap's On the Water, although the dockage stinks - rickety wooden floating sections, exposed to the wake of every passing vessel. Bring your fenders and fender boards.

On Florida's west coast, Cabbage Key, at ICW marker #60 in Pine Island Sound. Use their dock or (my preference) anchor just across the ICW in the cove along the SW corner of Useppa Island, and dinghy over.

Cabbage Key Inn, Marina and Restaurant - Pine Island Sound, Florida

Their cheeseburger recalls the lyrics of Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise. But then so too does the cheeseburger at Rhymer's Beach Bar, on the west side of Tortola, looking out over Cane Garden Bay toward the lights of St. Thomas twinkling in the west . . .
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One place I would NOT recommend is Coinjock Marina south of Norfolk on the ICW (MM 50). They advertise "world famous" prime rib but as a result of buying it on 3 separate occasions it's very poor quality and a waste of money. Another loser is Groupers in Elizabeth City NC BUT Cypress Creek Grill (right across the street from the public dock in EC) is a definite win.
Dockside Grill at Lamb's Marina about 5 miles north of EC on the Dismal Swamp route is quite good and the marina is a great stop. Diesel, gas and provisions available with a courtesy car if necessary.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #10

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Great thread. Waterfront restaurant. St James city, Fl. Anything over 20ft, dinghy in probably best. Dive restaurant that fills up with locals at lunch. Nothing super special, just a fun place to eat. Deep fried cheesecake is awesome. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690542.147276.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	45421Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690555.380006.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	45422Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690565.365972.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	45423
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

City: Lake Lanier, GA
Vessel Name: Miller Time part deux
Vessel Model: 1995 Carver 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
I second Don's recommendation of Cap's On the Water, although the dockage stinks - rickety wooden floating sections, exposed to the wake of every passing vessel. Bring your fenders and fender boards.

On Florida's west coast, Cabbage Key, at ICW marker #60 in Pine Island Sound. Use their dock or (my preference) anchor just across the ICW in the cove along the SW corner of Useppa Island, and dinghy over.

Cabbage Key Inn, Marina and Restaurant - Pine Island Sound, Florida

Their cheeseburger recalls the lyrics of Jimmy Buffet's Cheeseburger in Paradise. But then so too does the cheeseburger at Rhymer's Beach Bar, on the west side of Tortola, looking out over Cane Garden Bay toward the lights of St. Thomas twinkling in the west . . .

Couldn't agree more about Cabbage Key. Fun place to visit. Just stow your gear or risk it being plundered by the water thieves. Was funny watching the otters jump onboard boats and go through people's stuff in search of food. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444690853.213458.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	45424
n36511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Dolphin view restaurant in New Smyrna, Florida.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Is it a reflection of our fair city that you can actually travel by boat via the St John's to two Hooters restaurants in Jax?

Downtown at the Landing and at Goodby's Creek!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
A short three minute taxi ride from the Marina Chahue in Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, Mexico you will find an incredible restaurant that goes by the name Cafe Viena. It's owned by two crazy Austrians (Helmut & Manfred) and they serve up some of the best dishes. They specialize in Asian, Thai, Italian and of course Austrian food. Great desserts too!

Viena Huatulco, Huatulco - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor
I have no idea how to classify them. I didn't know how before I ate there, nor after. Absolutely a crazy place with great food of so many different types. We were only stopped there for a night and weren't planning on even going to a restaurant, but were talked into it by the staff of the marina. I'm not normally a schnitzel fan, but it was great and the seafood was as well. We had an adventurous group so a wide variety was sampled.

A warning though, they do close for something like 4 months in the summer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Is it a reflection of our fair city that you can actually travel by boat via the St John's to two Hooters restaurants in Jax?

Downtown at the Landing and at Goodby's Creek!
Last time we ate at a Hooters was in Cancun. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Gill's by the Bay in Eureka, CA (55 Halibut Ave.) is great. The onion rings are to die for. Reasonably priced. The owner is a former whaler/fisherman, and he might initiate a friendly conversation with you as he did us.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I have no idea how to classify them. I didn't know how before I ate there, nor after. Absolutely a crazy place with great food of so many different types. We were only stopped there for a night and weren't planning on even going to a restaurant, but were talked into it by the staff of the marina. I'm not normally a schnitzel fan, but it was great and the seafood was as well. We had an adventurous group so a wide variety was sampled.

A warning though, they do close for something like 4 months in the summer.
I'd describe Cafe Viena as a fusion of several Asian countries with an Austrian base and an Italian twist.

Yes, they do close for a few of months during the summer but most boaters will not be heading north or south in that region since it's prime hurricane season.

F.Y.I. - They make an great Kaiserschmarrn (meaning 'the emperor's mishmash'), a traditional Austrian dessert.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
I'd describe Cafe Viena as a fusion of several Asian countries with an Austrian base and an Italian twist...F.Y.I. - They make an great Kaiserschmarrn (meaning 'the emperor's mishmash'), a traditional Austrian dessert.
Don`t miss the kaiserschmarrn,it`s a kind of chopped pancake, with fruits,icing sugar, etc, though I bet the recipe varies, we used to get it at the long gone Salzburg Cellar here.
It`s very much a personal thing, but I don`t think the words "Mexican" and "food" belong together.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. The last Hooters we ate at was in Bejing...go figure
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 PM   #20

They serve food at Hooters? Hmmmm... I never noticed.