Best Crab pot design?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
Post some pix of the best crab pot (recreational) design you know or use.

no pictures, not near the boat... But trilogy in Bellingham is about as good as gets... they primarily make commercial pots but make a smaller recreational ones. Gates are a good design, four gates work best the pots even have mounting for zincs. I assume you're wanting to fish for Dungys

It's not pix, but the June 2017 Newsletter from John's Sporting Goods described what they consider a good crab pot. They preferred round or octogon pots to folding, as the folding have limited life and crab can more easily exit the pot. Some of the features they liked were "ramp style entrances that make it difficult for a crab to leave" and entrance doors "at least 9 to 10 inches wide. Think about this: if the entrance doors restrict the crab size entering the crab pot, the doors are basically sorting out the size of crab entering your pot." They also recommend using a magnum buoy as they are equal to three of the standard size and are less likely to be pulled underwater when the tide comes in.

Stow-B-Low. Hands down the best. Terrific unit.

Greetings,
A slight thread drift...Seems the opinions are for the west coast. Any suggestions for crabbing equipment on the east coast? Styles, makes etc. Thanks in advance.

This is Picture 1 what is normally used in South Louisiana. They do take up lots of storage space, "occasional" crabbers will sometimes just tie a bait onto a string and pull them out that way or in a bucket type net on a cord.
Picture two is a couple of crabs I caught "going at it" I guess one last fling before things got really hot in the boiling pot. By the way in Louisiana they are crab traps, if you ask for a crab pot you will probably get something to boil them in.

Attachments

• crab trap.jpg
    crab trap.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Crabs in trap 001.jpg
    Crabs in trap 001.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 125
Thanks for the replies so far.... good stuff. Yes we are interested in Dungeness up here. Besides the advice above, a friend recommended this:

Tim, thanks for that link, good stuff. Ka, I will check out trilogy. Capt., likewise Stow b lo.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
A length of string, a chicken neck and a net to pick the crab off the neck. As a kid on a good day we could get over 50 blue crabs.

The crab pot at LFS only has two doors. You should be able to have four large doors for easier entry. This 30" SMI Octagon crab pot has four 11.5" doors and a fine mesh bait box.

Attachments

• SMI_Octagon_Crab.jpg
    SMI_Octagon_Crab.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 80
I'm hoping to get a couple of those and a Scotty 2500 puller if I close later this month. :)

Thanks for the replies so far.... good stuff. Yes we are interested in Dungeness up here. Besides the advice above, a friend recommended this:

Tim, thanks for that link, good stuff. Ka, I will check out trilogy. Capt., likewise Stow b lo.

That is what I use. Still helps to have really good bait, and above all, be in the right place.

Location, location, location!

A couple of cheapy $20 pots bought in Anacortes a few weeks ago have provided many dinners lately along the Inside Passage...

Location, location, location...

As a kid off the Princeton Pier in Half Moon Bay, CA I used to make my own out of coat hangers, chicken wire and twine. My starfish to crab ratio was 10-1 however....

I'm with Bigsfish. Use anything but these and you miss out on all the fun. Grew up on the Chesapeake. Some habits (and memories) die hard!!

Attachments

• crabbing.jpg
    crabbing.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 58
First

You get it. Lots of fun, cheap, and lots of crabs for a few people to eat. :)

815SWOOA-LL._AC_UL320_SR238,320_.jpg

I like rings when I have the kids. Makes it more active than a multi hour soak.

Greetings,
Messrs. fb and Bf. Oh, I get it too. Been there, done that and it IS great for the kids but I'd much rather soak and eat.

Senor RT

Yes you can soak the crabs in beer while letting your stomach soak in beer. Win - win. ��

We grew up on the east coast and used to do the chicken neck & net thing. I picked up 2 SMI octagon pots in Everett today, will soak them soon. ?

Also found they had pocket puller for my dinghy.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom