Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
Best Boatyards on Vancouver Island....

I am going to move my 2001 54' Offshore home to Whittier, AK from Mexico. I need to have a diesel heater, engine block heaters, minor fiberglass work and some preventative maintenance done in late May/ early June. Before I start to call around I thought that I might be able to narrow the choices down to a couple yards Previously I have dealt with Philbrooks and they did good work at a high price. Probably a smaller yard would be more economical but I won't sacrifice quality for a cheaper price. I guess that I have just described a conundrum, huh?

Any info on yards on the island would be appreciated.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Here are a few in the Sidney area.

Delta Marine
Raven Marine
Canoe Cove
Blackline Marine

Plus you already know Philbrooks. Hope this helps!
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I have had very good treatment from Ocean Pacific in Campbell River; they have a broad range of services plus a marine store. They are also situated in a shopping mall so many other services are also right at hand. (They even enticed their service manager away from Philbrooks!)

Their 110 ton travelift would be more than capable for your vessel I'm sure.

Campbell River Marine Supply and Boatyard - Ocean Pacific Marine, Campbell River, BC
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

[QUOTE=rochepoint;201186]Here are a few in the Sidney area.

Delta Marine
Raven Marine
Canoe Cove
Blackline Marine

Thanks!

Any recommendations among these? Not looking to have anyone gives negatives online just looking to know about who is good at what......if possible.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Delta Marine, Blackline and Philbrooks are at the top of my list. Delta is a factory authorized service centre for Fleming Yachts and Grand Banks.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I have dealt with the Sidney BC yards for years, primarily Raven and Philbrooks. Once you have the work thought out that you want done, get a quote from each being sure that the same equipment is being used in both cases. They will stand by their quote but more importantly stand behind their work. Have you thought about Port Townsend?

Sidney offers an airport and WA and BC ferry terminals that allow you to get anywhere quickly. We keep our boat at Van Isle Marina and are back and forth regularly. Feel free to PM me for additional information on the various vendors, costs and people to contact.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #7

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
I'd second Roches points. Although I have no experience with Delta, I can tell you I have had great service from Canoe and Blackline.

Cheers
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Thanks all, this gives me a good starting point.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I have dealt with the Sidney BC yards for years, primarily Raven and Philbrooks. Once you have the work thought out that you want done, get a quote from each being sure that the same equipment is being used in both cases. They will stand by their quote but more importantly stand behind their work. Have you thought about Port Townsend?

Sidney offers an airport and WA and BC ferry terminals that allow you to get anywhere quickly. We keep our boat at Van Isle Marina and are back and forth regularly. Feel free to PM me for additional information on the various vendors, costs and people to contact.
I have heard good reports about some of those Canadian yards, and if there is a particular reason to use Vancouver Island then you have got good advice above, go for it. Raven also have a relatively small yard in North Vancouver itself, and I found them pretty good too.

But, if there is no specific reason for getting work done in Canada, consider PT as its easily accessible also. The Port Townsend Shipwright's CoOperative do great work at good prices IMO. They have folks, private and commercial, coming up from California or down from Alaska as well as PNW regulars - such is their reputatuon. They are never short of work, and will give you good assessment and probably some options. So they don't need to grow the scope of the job, although once they get started and you experience them first hand you may well do so. You need to book in well ahead of time if you have a firm schedule.