Best Boating-Related Movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Pretty sure "All Is Lost" won't get many votes (but I don't think boating was ever meant to be the main theme).

So, what is your favorite? High on my list are "Captain's Courageous" (1937) and "Master and Commander."

Master and Commander is high on my list.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9445%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B538729%3A7245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8435%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53893%3A29245ot1lsi

Last edited:
Its hard to beat Master and Commander, but I have a soft spot for Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island :rolleyes:

If we can expand this beyond movies to books, the series by Patric Obrian was excellent. Very detailed.

Along with of course Horatio Hornblower, Great reading!

Oh, not to forget the several GREAT book by Wilbur Smith!

Oh, I almost forgot!!!

Richard Henry Dana's Two Years Before the Mast, a true story!

Last edited:
Das Boot overall. Apocalypse Now (Redux) if you're talking about floating boats.

Another vote for Cap'n Ron. Dead Calm is good, but only if I suspend my boating experience and knowledge. The two Moby Dicks were good. Master and Commander. White Squall. Life of Pi was a fascinating movie, all boat, but for some reason I still wouldn't count it as a boat movie. All is Lost, can't watch five minutes of that movie. Yep, if I could only have one boat DVD on the boat, Captain Ron.

Captain Ron hands down

Rodney Dangerfield gets honorable mention for the boating cameo in Caddyshack though. No, I do not take boat movies serious.

Please! Everybody knows the greatest boating movie of all time is Captain Ron, followed by Boatniks. :D

Can't overlook Overboard.

The Perfect Storm.

The African Queen.

The Sand Pebbles. (well, big boat)

Jaws. (need a bigger boat)

Last edited:
Captain Ron!

Splutter, Hurrumph,Eagggg.

In all the annals of maritime glory & daring do, of stories that set the heart pounding,with the hero giving his all, sometimes in vain, you guys come up with what?..................Captain Ron. How about the sequel, Little Ronny, Ensign Ron, Good grief.

Not exactly 'Sink the Bismarck' material.

Das Boot the best submarine movie ever made,or the excellent 'Master & Commander', tales of daring do.'Africa Queen' what a cast. Not to forget any of those old British black & white war movies where the battered old destroyer limps back to port and the whole fleet in Scapa Flow sounds their horns, Whooop, Whoop,with the commander standing on the open bridge drinking his tea(laced with OP rum) out of a battered tin mug. Those ladies & gentlemen are true maritime movies, Captain Tom, Forsooth!

Oh, and an honourable mention to 'Operation Petticoat'.:rolleyes:

Captain Ron!

Splutter, Hurrumph,Eagggg.

In all the annals of maritime glory & daring do, of stories that set the heart pounding,with the hero giving his all, sometimes in vain, you guys come up with what?..................Captain Ron. How about the sequel, Little Ronny, Ensign Ron, Good grief.

Not exactly 'Sink the Bismarck' material.

Das Boot the best submarine movie ever made,or the excellent 'Master & Commander', tales of daring do.'Africa Queen' what a cast. Not to forget any of those old British black & white war movies where the battered old destroyer limps back to port and the whole fleet in Scapa Flow sounds their horns, Whooop, Whoop,with the commander standing on the open bridge drinking his tea(laced with OP rum) out of a battered tin mug. Those ladies & gentlemen are true maritime movies, Captain Tom, Forsooth!

Oh, and an honourable mention to 'Operation Petticoat'.:rolleyes:

Yep. Agree.:thumb:

As to the list Captains Courageous. One of the best for so many readings.

Captain Ron ✔️✔️✔️✔️

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

If we can expand this beyond movies to books, the series by Patric Obrian was excellent. Very detailed.

X2 on that! I rarely read the same book more than once, but I read this whole series twice! The Hornblower series is a good read too.

And the Master and Commander movie, I think, stayed very true to the books, although it blended elements and plots from more than one of them.

So, Master and Commander is my favorite.

Not the best or favorites, but worth a look:

Poseidon Adventure
Murphy's War
They Were Expendable
Jaws
Mutiny on the Bounty
Houseboat
Caine Mutiny

I

IMO - that series is the pinnacle of English literature! I've read it multiple times.

Has anyone here read Mahan's, "The Influence of Seapower Upon History?" It's obviously dated in this modern age. But his section on the French Admiral, Andre de Suffren, read like an O'Brian adventure.

Capt. Ron and Down Periscope in the light hearted category

Master and Commander and the Hornblower series outside of that.

Cape Fear was very good. The one with Nick Nolte and Robert Dinero. It was about a boat, but the best part of the movie was on that house boat.

Das Boot is shown annually to all hands on Moonstruck. Without a doubt the best boat related movie of all time.

So, what is your favorite? High on my list are "Captain's Courageous" (1937) and "Master and Commander."
I agree with "Captains Courageous" , with Spencer Tracy, but I have been a big fan of "Dead Calm" for years.

Naturals I'll tell ya, every one of you are naturals! (We're all gonna die.) -- Captain Ron

The Bounty- Laurence Olivier, Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Liam Neeson, Daniel Day Lewis amongst others. My preferred version of this classic story. Great videography

Knew there would be universal agreement on this thread. :D

Seriously, some great ideas for movies to rent until this @$?¥£#%+{-ing winter is over.

Das Boot is shown annually to all hands on Moonstruck. Without a doubt the best boat related movie of all time.

A favorite of the submarine force. That movie was always playing in crews mess. Or in submarine parlance "burn a flick".

Made my family watch it as well. They were riveted. But I was pummeled with pillows for the ending the first time they saw it.

Red October......since you are throwing in sub movies.

Back
Top Bottom