Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 AM   #121
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Books can be so inexpensive using the Internet. Many books (even Master and Commander) are available for one cent with $3.99 postage/handling.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #122
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
I'm surprised at you, Marin, though I respect your right to an opinion, even a wrong one.

O'Brien's strength is in his characters, there are many, many layers to their development, albeit those layers are often hidden by the mists of history.

An example; in the opening scene of the very first book, Stephen is offended by Jack's leg tapping to keep time with the music and gives him a slight shove. This doesn't seem like a big deal to modern sensibilities but at that time and place could have been the precursor to a duel. Also, the woman performing is Jack's mistress and the wife of his commanding officer. For Stephen, a heartbroken, destitute, rebel on the wrong side of a cause he no longer wholly believes in, it is the act of a man with very little to lose.

That's what makes his writing so evocative, so much better than the simple Hornblower series or the Lord of the Rings trilogy which uses quantity of characters to make up for their lack of depth and variance.

Also, the later scene where Stephen awakens from a powerful dream of his lost love in the dust of a hillside in a foreign land, to discover that there is a flower crushed beneath him that smells like her is one of the strongest scenes in all of English language literature. Right up there with the last lines of the Great Gatsby, the scene where Atticus shoots the dog and the opening lines of Big Two Hearted River.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM   #123
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
I read his book at a young, impressionable age. Since then, it has been my lifelong dream to sail around the world. Didn't know there was a movie. Your link is to the book. Was there a movie?

The Dove (1974) - IMDb

I saw it a few years ago, downloaded from an Internet site that is no longer active. It's a nice story, I will have to read the book.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #124
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Also, the later scene where Stephen awakens from a powerful dream of his lost love in the dust of a hillside in a foreign land, to discover that there is a flower crushed beneath him that smells like her is one of the strongest scenes in all of English language literature. Right up there with the last lines of the Great Gatsby, the scene where Atticus shoots the dog and the opening lines of Big Two Hearted River.

Isn't that the scene where the doctor buries the ring on the hillside? One of the saddest moments in the series.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #125

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Isn't that the scene where the doctor buries the ring on the hillside? One of the saddest moments in the series.
A scene of a different sort, but one of the most memorable scenes for me was when they were being chased over the course of several days by a much larger Dutch man-o-war in following seas in the Roaring 40s, until the Dutch ship broached and immediately sank with all hands. Riveting, with a surprise ending (sorry, spoiler...). I think it's in Desolation Island.

And to (kind of) keep with the theme of this thread, it would be a great scene for Crowe's movie sequel.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #126
Curmudgeon

Quote:
A scene of a different sort, but one of the most memorable scenes for me was when they were being chased over the course of several days by a much larger Dutch man-o-war in following seas in the Roaring 40s, until the Dutch ship broached and immediately sank with all hands. Riveting, with a surprise ending (sorry, spoiler...). I think it's in Desolation Island.

And to (kind of) keep with the theme of this thread, it would be a great scene for Crowe's movie sequel.

Yes! The horrible old Leopard being chased by the Waakzaamheid. That was a terrifying and spectacular chase!

Marin - you may want to read the 2nd book, let the characters develop some more.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #127
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:

That's one of the scenes that always comes to mind when I think about O'Brian. Greatest sea chase I've ever read capped with a stunning ending. The other thing to note about O'Brian is that he doesn't dumb it down. You have to actively catch up to his style and complexity of writing.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #128
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Agreed, all good and the Waakzaamheid scene is breathtaking, along with Jack's reaction "My God, 500 (?) men."

I was presenting Stephen's awakening as it shows the subtle complexity of O'briens writing and character development. He never comes right out and explains about Stephen's lost love (I don't think she is ever named) but gives tiny pieces of his history throughout the series. Until you know that backstory the scene doesn't have much power. Once you do, if you have lived through a similar experience in your life (haven't we all?) it is gut wrenching. 1st reading you are likely to skim right over it.

Doug
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #129
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Agreed, all good and the Waakzaamheid scene is breathtaking, along with Jack's reaction "My God, 500 (?) men."

I was presenting Stephen's awakening as it shows the subtle complexity of O'briens writing and character development. He never comes right out and explains about Stephen's lost love (I don't think she is ever named) but gives tiny pieces of his history throughout the series. Until you know that backstory the scene doesn't have much power. Once you do, if you have lived through a similar experience in your life (haven't we all?) it is gut wrenching. 1st reading you are likely to skim right over it.

Doug

Was that the girlfriend from the college or the "Uprising" days? All this chat makes me want to start the series again.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #130
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Drifting from movies a bit, those of you who enjoy Forester and O'Brian, try reading Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series. No ships but a great character written by a serious historian. Watch for one of C.S. Foresters characters to appear in one of the books. It's a little tip of the hat from Cornwell to Forester as the master of the genre.

Best boat movie? African Queen. Bogart, Hepburn, and C.S. Forester a powerful combination.

Not strictly boat movies but boats were important to the plot, Key Largo and To Have and Have Not. Both with Bogey and Bacall.

Exciting scene from Key Largo, gun fight on the Santana.

Oddly enough, the African Queen is now docked in Key Largo.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #131
Guru

O'Brian could also be funny and ribald, as when Stephen overhears Jack, who is drunk at a proper social, loudly telling some proper ladies about his crew, who have been at sea awhile.

"Oh, yes, yes! The rest of them are certainly coming ashore--they are lining the rail in the shore-going rig, with money in their pockets, their eyes staring out of their heads and their pricks a yard long."

The embarrassed ladies can't get away from him fast enough, and he follows up with:

"You needn't hurry, ladies--they won't be allowed off the sloop till the evening gun."

I can see Russell Crowe doing that scene.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Drifting from movies a bit, those of you who enjoy Forester and O'Brian, try reading Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series. No ships but a great character written by a serious historian. Watch for one of C.S. Foresters characters to appear in one of the books. It's a little tip of the hat from Cornwell to Forester as the master of the genre.

Best boat movie? African Queen. Bogart, Hepburn, and C.S. Forester a powerful combination.

Not strictly boat movies but boats were important to the plot, Key Largo and To Have and Have Not. Both with Bogey and Bacall.

Exciting scene from Key Largo, gun fight on the Santana.

Oddly enough, the African Queen is now docked in Key Largo.
Topic is boating-related movies, Parks, so those are great additions. And three of my all-time favorites.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #133
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Marin - you may want to read the 2nd book, let the characters develop some more.
No thanks. An author gets one chance with me. If I don't like his or her style or character depictions and depth I never read them again. O'Brian was complete dud for me and I see no point in wasting time reading more of the same when there are so many truly good authors out there waiting.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #134
keb

City: Portland, OR
...and who could forget "Boy on a Dolhpin" 1957 with Sophia Loren. I think there was a boat in that movie...💥

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #135
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Drifting from movies a bit, those of you who enjoy Forester and O'Brian, try reading Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series. No ships ......
You forgot "Sharpe's Trafalgar" Parks.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #136
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Drifting from movies a bit,
This thread drifted completely away from movies a long time ago!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #137
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Here....half the group likes this kind of stuff...no telling about all the lurkers...

Start talking airplanes and airplane movies...

This flew over near Melbourne, Fl this week.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7227.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	38000  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #138
Scraping Paint

City: -
Not really a boating movie but I thought Whale Rider was very well done and a unique story.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #139
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35

A documentary. And of course his (Joshua Slocum) book is required reading.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #140

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I'm surprised no one has mentioned'Lord Jim' starring Perter O'Tool. The movie is required watching aboard my boat. Its a great book also.
Another great book is one by Nicholas Monsarrat, (the author of 'The Cruel Sea), is 'The Master Mariner', a fantastic book following the tale of the Wandering Jew. Its a two volume historical sea novel.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote