Old 03-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #81
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My then teen-age son wanted to be a submariner, until he saw the movie. Das Boot.
Well at least he picked the most accurate one to dissuade him.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Well at least he picked the most accurate one to dissuade him.
The acting was so incredible that it was hard to believe it was a movie. Man, what suspense and action.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #83

City: Seattle
African Queen!
pewterputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

City: Seattle, WA
I love the way the quiet waterway increased the suspense in the original Cape Fear.
ShinyTransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #85
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
OK I'll add a few, though first I must say I am a "Perfect Storm" hater.. worst use of music ever in a film and layer after layer of trite Hollywood schmaltz. Never been able to watch the whole thing.

"Mud" a great little movie, modern Tom Sawyer adventure with good acting; first thing I ever really liked either Matthey McCounaghy (sp?) or Reese Witherspoon in and great cast behind them.

Oldies but goodies:
"Mr Roberts" ... Lemmon, Fonda, Cagney at their best, great writing funny to this day.

And in the submarine category, "Operation Petticoat".

More seriously: "Sink the Bismarck"

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #86
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
This is a great boating movie. Um, well, OK, it's not really a movie. And I did make it. But we've been told it's a great way to spend 94 minutes dreaming about cruising the San Juan Islands...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SJI Volume 1 cover-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	37911  
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: -
In no particular order:

Movies:

Das Boot (in German not the dubbed version)
The Sand Pebbles
Murphy's War
They Were Expendable (very old and Hollywooded-up some but they used real PT boats)
Master and Commander
Saving Private Ryan (opening sequence)
Mr. Roberts

Books:

Captain's Courageous (better than the movie)
Castles of Steel: Britain, Germany, and the Winning of the Great War at Sea
The Boat Who Wouldn't Float
The Boys in the Boat
The Caine Mutiny (better than the movie)
Curve of Time
Shadow Divers
Huckleberry Finn
River Horse
The Fisher Queen

I started reading the Patrick O'Brien series at the recommendation of a friend and made it through one book and bailed. I found the writing uninspiring and the characters and plots too predictable and not intriguing enough for my taste. This is one case where I felt a movie was far better than the books it was based on.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #88

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
We liked "Mud".
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #89
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
My second choice:
Fools Gold!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 03-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #90
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I started reading the Patrick O'Brien series at the recommendation of a friend and made it through one book and bailed. I found the writing uninspiring and the characters and plots too predictable and not intriguing enough for my taste. This is one case where I felt a movie was far better than the books it was based on.

Regarding Patrick O'Brian

One book is no basis on which to judge O'Brian's 20 volume series.O'Brian's writing was widely regarded as being some of the best fictional writing of the 20th century. The characters take time to develop, like in any good story.

However, what you end up with is one of the great literary friendships, equal to that of Holmes & Watson, Horatio and Hamlet, Tom and Huckleberry Finn, to mention a few.

These books are simply to good to dismiss in that way.

OK, time step down from this rather tall horse I have found myself riding.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:00 AM   #91
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
150%. Make some room on that horse for me.

Certainly the best historical fiction I ever read. O'Brian paced his books methodically, weaving the accounts of daily life at sea and the relationship between Aubrey and Maturin with some of the most memorable action in literature. His accounts of naval engagements and rounding the Horn are spectacular. My whole family devoured the entire series and I plan to read them a second time.

People can opine all they want about Rocna's vs SARCAS or chain vs rope. But they should not screw with universal truths like the quality and inspirational value of O'Brian's epic novels.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #92
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post

However, what you end up with is one of the great literary friendships, equal to that of Holmes & Watson, Horatio and Hamlet, Tom and Huckleberry Finn, to mention a few.

These books are simply to good to dismiss in that way.
The O'Brian series isn't worthy of being in the same bookstore as the others you mention, let alone the same league in my opinion. I was bored with the first book by the time I was halfway through but I forced myself to finish it as my friend had waxed so eloquently about the series.

I found the writing style uninteresting, the dialogue trite and the characters bland, but the worst thing was that at the end I didn't care enough about the characters to want to learn any more about them. And a writer who can't make me care about the characters is not a writer worth reading.

Arthur Conan Doyle, Shakespeare and Samuel Clemens created universally relevant and fascinating characters that capture the imagination. O'Brian clearly didn't have a clue how to do that.

He wrote nice sea stories I guess but the one I read reminded me very much of an [American] western novel. An easy read in a juvenile sort of way but nothing that you come out the other end of feeling like you've gained anything meaningful.

Dana's Two Years Before the Mast is a vastly superior read and it's "just" a memoir.

Everybody's taste is different and I know there are a lot of people who really like O'Brian's stuff. But for me life's too short and there are too many truly good books to read to warrant spending any more time with O'Brian's stories than I already have. Even Hollywood had to combine a bunch of the books together to get one story worth turning into a screenplay. And the movie had a hell of a lot more life and dynamics to it than the book I read.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #93
Hospitality Officer

Marin:
Arthur Conan Doyle, Shakespeare and Samuel Clemens created universally relevant and fascinating characters that capture the imagination. O'Brian clearly didn't have a clue how to do that.

Well, actually he did, and did it very well. However to judge him you need to read the entire work, not just one book.

It's a little like taking a Ferrari for a test drive in peak hour traffic, then saying to the salesman it's rubbish.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #94
Scraping Paint

Quote:
However to judge him you need to read the entire work, not just one book.

It's a little like taking a Ferrari for a test drive in peak hour traffic, then saying to the salesman it's rubbish.
If the first book is uninspiring and pedantic writing, there is no reason to expect the rest of them are any different.

A Ferrari in peak traffic is still a Ferrari. Even standing still it's inspiring.

I had high hopes for O'Brian's series based on my friend's rave review. But it started out trite and became increasingly so.

I'm not saying his basic premise was no good. He just had a writing style that put me to sleep. I like writing where I find the very use of the language to be clever or thought provoking. It's been some years since I took a stab at the thing, but I recall his use of the language was very "See Spot Run."

And his dialogue was really bad, I recall. I remember repeatedly thinking, "People just don't talk like that." And nothing kills a book faster for me than unrealistic dialogue

He was simply unable to make his characters three dimensional, real, and interesting enough to keep reading about. I found myself skipping ahead to find sections that looked interesting enough to read word for word.

Were I a professional book reviewr I would give his writing one and a half stars. The extra half star would be for effort as he wrote a bloody ton of them.

Contrast this with a series I had no interest whatsoever in reading: the Ring Trilogy. I don't care for fantasy and I don't care for science fiction. A friend in college was nuts for the Trilogy and kept pestering me to read it. I resisted for half a year and then just to shut him up I said I'd try it.

I was hooked after the first couple of pages and read the whole trilogy in about a week. I stayed up all night, every night, reading. Tolkien had everything: a great, fast-moving story, a mastery of the language that was like watching a movie on the page, terrific characters that intrigued the hell out of me, dialogue unique to each character and perfectly matched to the character.... It was an amazing experience reading those three books. I still don't like fantasy or science fiction. But THAT was an experience.

In comparison, reading O'Brian's writing was like reading an instruction manual for a washing machine.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #95

City: Crowborough
Vessel Name: Tilly Too
Vessel Model: Hardy Seawings
Definitely Captain Ron and Gone Fishin' but strangely no mention of Riddle of the Sands? - sticks and rags I know but a good old film.
CaptCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #96
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In comparison, reading O'Brian's writing was like reading an instruction manual for a washing machine.
We must not have been reading the same books. I've read the entire series 3 times and discover and/or come to understand something new each time. Far from being shallow, I found the series to be rich in detail and complexity, both in plot and the characters. I thought the movie, M&C, was definitely OK, but barely skimmed the surface of the various books that were cobbled together to produce a script. But that's what's needed to keep the action going in a 2 hour movie that should have been a mini-series.

OTOH - I could never get through the Rings trilogy. I found that to be the most plodding reading, other than von Clauswitz, I had ever experienced. Loved the movies though.

Different strokes for different folks. And that's what makes the world go 'round!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #97
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
W

Different strokes for different folks. And that's what makes the world go 'round!
Right as rain.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #98
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
What? No mention of Waterworld?? I'm shocked!!!
We have some docks around here that look like they came from water world .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #99
Hospitality Officer

One last observation on O'Brian's books.

I enjoyed the Master & Commander film, a good yarn. By the way did you know Russell Crowe was very keen to do a sequel but couldn't get the studio interested, pity.

My main gripe about the film was the way Maturin's character was reduced to the supporting role of Crowe's Jack Aubrey.

What elevated the O'Brian books (IMHO) to more than say C S Forrester's Hornblower novels was the wonderful complexity of Maturin's character, so at odds with the bluff English sea going Aubrey.

Maturin is an Irish bastard, somewhat complicit in the Irish rebellion, brought up by his Catalan godfather, who instilled into him a fierce belief in freedom, yet we find him working as an unpaid agent for the English to defeat Bonaparte. Throw in his hopeless & desperate infatuation with a woman who treats him badly, coupled his sometime addiction to opium and you have a character to savour. He is to me the heart of the novels.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #100
Scraping Paint

Quote:
By the way did you know Russell Crowe was very keen to do a sequel but couldn't get the studio interested, pity..
Probably because the studio heads tried reading the books.

Sorry, couldn't resist.