Old 10-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #21
Guru

Panope is that windless a good old tiger? I used to own one with a heavy anchor and 200 ft of heavy chain. It was easy on the battery and worked great and kept me in good shape, but I was much younger back then. Nice to see one of Tom's boats in such nice shape. I still thumb through his design book from time to time. I like the Witch but my favorite is the Pinky.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Very nice, but did I miss something? Where's the helm?

Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

For the rig I just got rid of the bowsprit and stuck the old mainmast (after lengthening and fitting tabernacle) in the fore mast position. It is a sloop but is damn near a cat rig with such a large main. I do enjoy raising sail.
Beautiful boat.

Although my jib has more power, the mainsail is much easier to handle/control while the jib requires a lot of attention when tacking. The Coot's sails are most effective with a beam breeze and can add a half knot or so and reduce roll, remembering that the boat is a motor vessel.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:21 AM   #24

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
Eyschulman, yep it is a Simpson Lawrence 555. It is original to the boat. I gave it a complete disassembly and re painting and it functions as new. The original mounting was off to the side of the (now nonexistent) bow sprit.

Xsbank, The helm position was the biggest head scratcher of the whole project. I just could not bring myself to building two stations with the associated increased friction. This is a compromise but I am very happy with the way it works.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Beautiful boat.

Although my jib has more power, the mainsail is much easier to handle/control while the jib requires a lot of attention when tacking. The Coot's sails are most effective with a beam breeze and can add a half knot or so and reduce roll, remembering that the boat is a motor vessel.
Mark, there was a period during the initial planing of the rebuild to not have any sailing rig at all. A mast would have been needed with or without sails as the rolling motion would have been unbearably quick without a mast dampening the roll.
Alas, A full sailing rig was chosen for the fun of sailing and as an alternate means of propulsion (wing engine). The boat will sail upwind decently.

Steve
Old 10-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Panope,
A wonderful boat and I love the picture of the young lady helmswoman.

A big negative is the poor visibility fwd and there are places where draft could be an issue. Mostly swinging at anchor over shallows that exist at the head of many many anchorages. But even my 3.5' draft is iffy in places.

The sails are just extra baggage up north but that well aft wheelhouse would be great bucking 6 to 8' seas into the wind but the helmsman would seemingly be instantly a drowned rat. When it rains you must get those yellow things on .. great for an hour or two but really miserable all day. And in Alaska it is not unusual to rain steady for a month or more. (This is an edit) Do you actually steer the boat w the helm behind you when you're snug in the cabin?
I do love the apparent mechanics of the steering system. If I had time I'd ditch my hydraulic system and go all cable and sheaves .. w a wee bit of chain.

I'd rather have a wheelhouse w lots better visibility. I'd go north w her if she was my boat but I'd be very concerned about hitting a log.

I really like your post about "preceding posts". It's a step toward identifying the best PNW boat using the committee designing method. But then here on TF that would be creating a boat for northern west coast Canadian and Alaskan waters largely by boaters that have never been there. And even if you gathered together a group of veteran BC and AK cruisers there would still be very wide ranging opinions on what that ideal boat should be. Just think of ground tackle alone. But to gather (as you did) many opinions together is a start to the most communal and objective end result possible even though it would be loaded w subjective opinions it would also be loaded w objectivity.
Great idea.

Panope,
Do you weigh the port anchor (the Forfjord) w the capstan and drop the rode down that little hole in the deck? (Edit)

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #27

Manyboats, Thanks - glad you like the boat.

Funny, I never considered the forward visibility from the wheelhouse to be "poor". The only time I have felt a need to stick my head outside is when docking or to have a look at the sails.

While building the boat I kinda thought the mast might create a blind spot. However, between the movements of the boat (waves) and my head (cant sit still), not much in the way of floating debris are missed. A couple weeks ago I did a windless 14 hours (one day) of motoring - all from the house.

Draft is 4 feet and I am generally not to concerned about touching bottom unless infested with large rock. I do not use any poisonous bottom paint so this happens pretty regularly for a scrub.

I agree that the sails will be of little use on the Inside passage. However, A scrap of main and the tiny headsail pins the boat over nicely when reaching or motor sailing in High winds. I recon It could be useful at a couple spots along the way.

I got the heat thing covered. I carry 90 gallons of diesel. Note the glow of the Dickinson furnace.

Yep, Forfjord rode goes in to same locker as the primary. The top of the Forfjord shank is just visible in the hawse pipe.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #28

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Panope,
A wonderful boat and I love the picture of the young lady helmswoman.

)

Completely agree - you have a beautiful boat that includes a fantastic story of family build, refit (or more accurately refit+ !) and usage across multiple generations! Good stuff!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
Guru

When one has the options to build, modify, or give major input to the design of a boat the personal preference card can get played with more obvious results as compared to the cookie cutter types that are more prevalent. True the cookie cutter is used because it is deemed to fulfill the needs of the many. With a boat like the Witch and my personal craft you get to see the other end of the bell curve. My personal experience with 18 years of cruising the PNW is that almost any type of well found boat could do. For several years I cruised in a 45 ft full displacement boat with 75 HP and 6+ ft draft. That boat could power all day at 7K and a little over one gallon/hour fuel burn. There was no pilot house. There was 1,000 ft of working sail which could push the boat 8+K with only a moderate breeze. I think the best PNW boat is one you can afford is available and you like enough to own.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #30

As the newbie here, I worry that my first impression that I have given may have come across as a bit concieted. I do love my boat and I tailored it to fit my needs a closely as possible. That said, I appreciate pretty much all boats and given the same long history, I would feel the same about any one of them as I do mine.

I've always thought the Grand Banks and Nordic Tug type of boat would be great. Those big spacious interiors with lots of windows look fantastic. I just recently found out about the Willards (because of TF) and (being a full displacement lover) think they are really cool.

I am a regular over on CF but I have found this group to be a great supplemental resource for the type of boating (motoring - Sailish Sea) that I am mostly doing. Thanks for having me aboard.

Steve
Old 10-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Close enough to perfect. Maybe I'm too fussy about visibility. It looks basically great in your pic but IMO the most important part is hidden by the hull. But if you've a sharp eye you'd catch it before it went out of sight.

Draft is fine and the metal hull is a definite plus.

Is she planked w strips if overlapped metal? Looks like it in the pic.

Where are you beached. I'll be looking for a good place to do this or that. Are you allowed to beach there because your hull is non-toxic? Is it up at the top of Hood Canal? Port Gardner? How often do you service your bottom re fouling.

For Willard lore look for WBO (Willard Boat Owners) on yahoo groups.

We'll be launching in a week or so at La Conner.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #32
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Our boat spent its whole life in the SFO Bay area (Sausalito and Alameda are two of its former hailing ports).
Now Marin, we all know the SF bay area is not the PNW, not even northern California...hehehehe
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Draft is 4 feet and I am generally not to concerned about touching bottom....
That is the same draft as our Grand Banks 36, although we tend to consider it five feet just to be safe. But we measured it once when the boat was in the yard, and the diestance from the bottom of the deepest part of the keel to the bootstripe, which is where the boat floats, was...... four feet, just like the owner's manual says.

That's not much in the overall scheme of things. Friends of ours have a ketch with a draft of twelve feet.

Veyr nice looking boat, Panope, and I have no issues with your view forward from the wheelhouse. It looks fine to me. I've been on some Alaska limit seiners with worse visibility over the bow, and that's with a wheelhouse fairly far forward (I'm not talking about the flying bridge but their main wheelhouse). As you say, between the boat moving and the helmsman moving, you can see pretty much everything there is to see from your helm.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Now Marin, we all know the SF bay area is not the PNW, not even northern California...hehehehe
Don't know about the SFO vs Northern California part, but apparenlty it doesn't get cold enough in the SFO area to make built-in heat a necessity on a boat. Like Mark's Coot, our boat was not built with it and nobody added it later.

Now that the boat is up here, I wish someone had added it down there, if for no other reaon that to create a "boat project" for themselves.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Close enough to perfect. Maybe I'm too fussy about visibility. It looks basically great in your pic but IMO the most important part is hidden by the hull. But if you've a sharp eye you'd catch it before it went out of sight.

Draft is fine and the metal hull is a definite plus.

Is she planked w strips if overlapped metal? Looks like it in the pic.

Where are you beached. I'll be looking for a good place to do this or that. Are you allowed to beach there because your hull is non-toxic? Is it up at the top of Hood Canal? Port Gardner? How often do you service your bottom re fouling.

For Willard lore look for WBO (Willard Boat Owners) on yahoo groups.

We'll be launching in a week or so at La Conner.
Manyboats,

Tom Colvin designed those strips (4 each side) to allow the forward section of the hull to be somewhat "hollow". Makes for a finer entry than if plated with a single sheet as is common on metal (and Plywood) boats.

The strips only extend aft about 1/3 of the waterline length. The strips are overlapped a couple inches and are welded inside and out. I believe that this "doubling" of material may add a bit of strength. BTW, the boat is skinned almost entirely with 3/16" material.

I built the trailer (really just a dolly) around an old "lowboy" axle. Tongue is Panope's old fore mast and the vertical "V-brace" is made from her old gaffs.

I do the beaching on a "shoot first and ask questions later" basis. The location is adjacent to undeveloped private property. I am sure the owners could care less about it. It would be crazy for someone to complain from an ecological standpoint as I would then be forced to use anti-fouling paint with the result of more poison in the water. Then again, the world is a crazy place

I launched the boat May 1st of this year. So far I have beached her 3 times. About 1.5 months between beaching seems fine during summer. I have noticed that the marine growth as slowed waaaaay down these last few weeks as the temperatures have fallen. The plan is to store on the hard during the winter. I'll haul out at the end of Oct. or possible go another month. The quality of the sailing as been very good these last few weeks as there has actually been some wind!

Steve
Old 10-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #36
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Lovely boat and a very lively crew! Thanks for the photo of the helm. Another question, why doesn't she fall over on the hard? Wide keel? The other photos don't show the structure that supports her. Very unusual boat but I can see the quality of the work in her, I can also appreciate that you'll never see yourself coming like you tend to with most boats. Well done!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
.........why doesn't she fall over on the hard? Wide keel? The other photos don't show the structure that supports her............
Xsbank,

I constructed this beaching leg from schedule 80 aluminum pipe. Attaches to boat via an unused chain plate pad and a 1" bolt. Block of wood fits contour of gunwale and protects paint.

Designed to give about a 10 degree list. With the main boom swung out and an anchor to the jib halyard, I feel pretty safe working on the "unsupported" side. A big earthquake at the wrong time could be very problematic. Late in the summer it is difficult to find a decent low tide during the day. Last beaching was very early in the morning.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 AM   #38

City: British Columbia
Vessel Name: Black Crow
Vessel Model: 1964 wooden Pearson
best boat

"paid for" sure makes the problems $$$ that pop up a little easier lol
55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:12 AM   #39
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I consider my Coot to be ideal for the PNW except for its lack of a built-in heater (a declined option).
Yeah , that and the fact its 800 miles away.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #40
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
Yeah , that and the fact its 800 miles away.
But the PNW is less than one fill-up-at-the-start ($1300) away!