Best article or book you've read recently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
438 Days. Incredible story.

Isaac's Storm. The story of the 1900 Galveston hurrricane.

11/22/63. Stephen King novel about the Kennedy assassination.

Alexander Kent has a good series , form line of battle , enemy in sight and a few more. if you like Hornblower try these

Just finished the Hornblower series and greatly appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks for your contributions gents. Helpful and informative posts, and perfect timing for me. Cheers

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels next. Better, in my opinion, but that's not universally held.

Master and Commander is the first, not to be confused with the excellent movie of the same name which actually draws on several of the other novels.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels next. Better, in my opinion, but that's not universally held.

Master and Commander is the first, not to be confused with the excellent movie of the same name which actually draws on several of the other novels.

Not many books have me going back to re-read them. These do. The best series ever.

You are a speed reader, or have a lot more free time than I do. I am only half way through the midshipman. The duel seen at the beginning of the book is classic.

C. S. Forester is by far my favorite author and in searching for more like him I found Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's novels. Sharpe is fighting the same war that Horneblower is but he carries a rifle and his feet are dry.

The BBC make a great series of tv shows from the books.

Cornwell pays homage to Forester when Rifleman Dobbs appears in one of the Sharpe novels.

C. S. Forester is by far my favorite author and in searching for more like him I found Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's novels. Sharpe is fighting the same war that Horneblower is but he carries a rifle and his feet are dry.

Not entirely, Sharpe manages to participate at Trafalgar. But I do agree they are well-written, and Sean Bean is an excellent Sharpe.

Not entirely, Sharpe manages to participate at Trafalgar. But I do agree they are well-written, and Sean Bean is an excellent Sharpe.

That's right! I had forgotten he was at Trafalgar.
Cornwell is a very prolific writer. There are a bunch of his books left for me to read.

Not many books have me going back to re-read them. These do. The best series ever.

+1

I've just finished this book...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23197269-aurora

Really thought provoking. Shades of 2001 and the sequels, also raises the spectre of what could well happen from global warming, along with the astronomical (literally) practical issues involved in us trying to expand out into space as a real colonisation exercise, in terms of the huge distances involved, with no way of telling if a planet might sustain human life or not - until you get there...

"Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Dana. This was once the most read book in all America.

"Two Years Before the Mast" by Richard Dana. This was once the most read book in all America.

Yes, a must read classic for anyone who loves the ocean. The attached picture shows the cliffs in DP where the fur pelts were tossed off, to be loaded on to the ships.

Attachments

• DP Harbor1.jpg
    DP Harbor1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 25
Been a long time since I read Dana, but I remember it as cow hides thrown off the cliff.

Prof

An old favorite I'd forgotten until this morning when I noticed it on one of my (many) bookcases: My Island Home by James Norman Hall. Hall, who wrote the Bounty Trilogy with Charles Nordhoff, lived the life of adventure we only dream of and he tells it well.

He also wrote an excellent novel, The Far Lands about the Polynesian voyagers.

"Alone through the roaring forties" by Vito Dumas
Magnificent and unique book

Captian Robert Beebe's Voyaging Under Power, find all four editions to read, (makes for good cross referencing of the prior editions). Boating a Lifes Journey by Terry Kimmel, I consider Terry a friend, taught me valuble lessions of boating, just happens he wrote a book of his life experiences in boating, soft easy read; Boating a Lifes Journey by Terry Kimmel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom