KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
KJ,

Beryl what?

Yea I just saw it's a tropical storm on yahoo. Why did'nt you call it "tropical storm" Beryl???

Too many post titles do'nt give a clue to the threads content.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Geez dude, no need to get all worked up.
The inquiry was directed at the folks that live in the Southeast. I would assume that most mariners in that area are aware that a tropical storm named “Beryl” is heading their way. Just thought it would be interesting to know what folks are doing to prepare. I think 45mph winds could cause some problems. KJ
Old 05-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Getting ready?

Well, I'm stuck at a marina where I didn't plan to be and I just took down the cockpit canvas because a zipper failed.

I'm as ready as I'm going to be.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Latest forecast seems to have the storm fading to a depression as it nears land, then turning away; but then, when was a forecast ever right
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

The Port of Savannah (Georgia) is closed. I am stuck a few miles south of Savannah. The sun is shining and the wind is howling.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
KJ,
I've been wait'in to say that for a long time. Just picked on you because you were there when I got the urge. Sorry I kinda used you as guiney pig.

"Storm" dos'nt amount to much ....... I don't even see 40mph on the map.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
KJ,
I've been wait'in to say that for a long time. Just picked on you because you were there when I got the urge. Sorry I kinda used you as guiney pig.

The only thing worse than a Texan who thinks everything is the biggest and best in Texas is an Alaskan who KNOWS everything IS bigger and better in Alaska...except someone from Baja Canada ( Alaskan panhandle)...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
KJ,

Hey, no problem guy.
I have to admit that I have a selfish interest in what's going on down there weather wise. My boat is on the hard in N Myrtle Beach, SC, and I was wondering whether I should ask the boatyard folks to take down the flybridge and sundeck enclosures that are still up ( like there's really going to be someone around there this weekend). In fact, I was going to ask the TF folks that live in that area if all the canvas should come down while she is in storage for the whole summer (hurricane season).

BTW, back in the 80's when I still had knees that worked, I backpacked in the Brooks Range, the Wrangells (Wrangell-St. Elias),Chugach, and the Alaska Range (all solo). Did some great fly fishing in Talkeetna and the Copper River Basin. I think Alaska has to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet. KJ
Attached Thumbnails
AVALON.4.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Waiting for it to hit tonight. Strong tropical storm winds should be here in next few hours. I did take my flag down and put my truck in the garage.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #11

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
I have to admit that I have a selfish interest in what's going on down there weather wise. My boat is on the hard in N Myrtle Beach, SC, and I was wondering whether I should ask the boatyard folks to take down the flybridge and sundeck enclosures that are still up ( like there's really going to be someone around there this weekend). In fact, I was going to ask the TF folks that live in that area if all the canvas should come down while she is in storage for the whole summer (hurricane season).

=====================

KJ,
Absolutely but it is too late now. The first items to blow away are the canvas covers, biminies etc
MY WRTITTEN HURRICANE plan included all canvas stowed including window coverings. Mast down and all items on the exterior stowed as well. All antennas were layed as well, anything to reduce windage.
NOT counting doubling and tripling of lines it took abt 2 hours to do everything.
Doing ANY less is an invitation to damage and with insurance we ALL PAY the price of people not adequately preparing for a storm.
One summer here on the Gulf of Mexico coast I prepared the boat 4 times---all to no avail thank God.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
KJ
El Capitan

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, she can make it through this one ok. I will have them take them down ASAP. KJ
Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Lots of wet. It did break a tree in my back yard. It was a much needed rain event of 5-8 inches before we will be through. It didn't even blow the hair off my dog.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote