Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
A marina can put anything they want (as long as it's legal) in the lease and it's up to you to accept this or go elsewhere.

My marina specifies that they may rent out a slip holder's slip when the boat is away but they do not share the income with the slip holder, they keep it for themselves. They also reserve the right to require slip holders to vacate their slips for up to a week for a "boat show".

These practices are common in my area so there are few options.
The "boat show" one in Fort Lauderdale is longer.

A good reminder to all to read their leases carefully, whether for boat slips or apartments or houses or anything else. The problem is that in most cases they are very prejudicial and not negotiable.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #42
Guru

Let`s hope you get a narrower neighbour. Sounds like he went where the Marina said. They should, and probably do, know better.
He who drafts the Agreement gets to benefit himself while burdening others. I`d guess there is nothing in your lease restricting the size of boat the marina can put beside you.
With apologies to Hopcar, I prefer dogs to cats anyway.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD. They do exist. This one is 60-feet long, four-feet wide. Pilings on one side. Plenty wide. Can't get me away from this slip. Boat is a Defever 44.
Like I said, rare on one side, still searching for another with full length on both sides... (and that is one narrow pier you have).

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #44

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
This is an interesting thread, and I'm glad that it seems to have been solved diplomatically. I have the same problem where my new-to-me boat is berthed in La Paz, Mexico; Double boat berths, with about 3' between our beams. My problem is that I am new to the whole trawler thing, being a sailor newly converted. I do have twin screws, which should help, and I bought two new large fenders for the outside of my boat for docking. I am going to the boat this week and will venture out and in to the dock for the first time. I will post if things go sideways, but I am trying not to stress about it now.

Cheers, Bill
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montenido View Post
This is an interesting thread, and I'm glad that it seems to have been solved diplomatically. I have the same problem where my new-to-me boat is berthed in La Paz, Mexico; Double boat berths, with about 3' between our beams. My problem is that I am new to the whole trawler thing, being a sailor newly converted. I do have twin screws, which should help, and I bought two new large fenders for the outside of my boat for docking. I am going to the boat this week and will venture out and in to the dock for the first time. I will post if things go sideways, but I am trying not to stress about it now.

Cheers, Bill
If your docking situation makes you hesitant to use your boat as much, then do something differently, whether a different slip or different marina. 3' sounds like a lot until you each put fenders on both sides of your boats. Then it disappears.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #46
FF
Guru

Until you get really handy with the boat , it is usually far easier to pull in FWD to the slip.

Backing out is usually less problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Until you get really handy with the boat , it is usually far easier to pull in FWD to the slip.

Backing out is usually less problem.
Pulling into a slip is easy. Getting on and off the boat might be impossible.

Pulling in may make it more difficult to connect electrical power, depending on the boat's configuration. For me, stern to is always more convenient once I'm in, but yes, the backing in can sometimes be a problem.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote