Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Never did like double berths.
Me either, Mark. I've had several invitations to join one of two yacht clubs in San Diego and it was the "two boats to a slip" that turned me off. The cost per month is less than I pay at my marina but the slips we have are the very best! We also have a great swimming pool, covered ramada for parties & THE MANAGEMENT IS TERRIFIC!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	47830  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
The cost per month is less than I pay at my marina but the slips we have are the very best! We also have a great swimming pool, covered ramada for parties & THE MANAGEMENT IS TERRIFIC!
Sounds like Sunroad? Really great marina.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
GIVE THAT MAN A CIGAR!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Yep, right there. We're spoiled with single berths in our marina, fingers both sides on almost all of the 400 slips. Every time I visit Dad in Florida where many of the marinas just have pilings on one side, or another boat with nothing in between, I realize how good we have it at home. And then there are all those stern-tie marinas in the Med, yikes.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
How does the Boat Show impact tenants at Sunroad?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Nor do I. It was a rude awakening coming to FL after years of being spoiled in CA with full length fingers on both sides. Then you get the marinas here that are not only double berths, but the one finger you do get is ridiculously short and narrow. This is what is making me avoid Harbortown in Merritt Island. We love everything about the place except the docks.
Same coming from an inland lake in NC. I just never thought of it as a possible practice until I arrived and saw it everywhere.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #27
Guru

Was in Sunroad before we got our slip in our yacht club and got away from the airplane noise. Thanks to the perseverance of the Sicilian and our slim beam, we now have a single slip at Southwestern YC.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The only east coast marina I can think of (and we've seen far from all of them) with full length finger piers on each side is Turnberry I$le in Aventura FL. First class place and crew as well. In fact, finding a full length finger pier even on one side is pretty rare other than one side of a face dock or along a bulkhead.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Was in Sunroad before we got our slip in our yacht club and got away from the airplane noise. Thanks to the perseverance of the Sicilian and our slim beam, we now have a single slip at Southwestern YC.
The airport is extremely convenient for those flying in and I imagine a bit disturbing for others. It was a part we loved about docking in San Diego Bay, although we weren't as close to it as Sunroad. Nice to be able to just hop a shuttle to your boat.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I don't like double berth floating docks either. However, here is an interesting twist I hadn't seen before. The one floating dock at Sommers Cove has double berths, but they put 2 stout pilings between the boat positions.

Name:	DSCN1704.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	47835

Name:	DSCN1703.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	47836

While it's still possible to get a boat between the pilings while docking, once you're in, the pilings become a barrier between you and your berth buddy. Maybe this is common elsewhere, I have never seen it before. Works for me!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The only east coast marina I can think of (and we've seen far from all of them) with full length finger piers on each side is Turnberry I$le in Aventura FL. First class place and crew as well. In fact, finding a full length finger pier even on one side is pretty rare other than one side of a face dock or along a bulkhead.
Shipyard quarters in Boston has single load slips, of course their maintenance program went to hell about 20 years ago. Not worth the coin. There motto became "Tie up, pay up and SHUT UP!" What a waste of a great location and a first class facility that went to the dogs under new "management".
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I don't like double berth floating docks either. However, here is an interesting twist I hadn't seen before. The one floating dock at Sommers Cove has double berths, but they put 2 stout pilings between the boat positions.

While it's still possible to get a boat between the pilings while docking, once you're in, the pilings become a barrier between you and your berth buddy. Maybe this is common elsewhere, I have never seen it before. Works for me!

Ted
I've seen a few like that. A compromise.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
Hi everyone. I have another "what would you do" issue...

Here is the story...

We went away to work in usa prior to christmas. My boat remained in the berth which i own. It is a 25m x 6.5m berth. Our boat is 21mx5.5. We fit easily in our allocated space with room to spare.

While away a large brand new powercat moved in to the berth next to us. We have no barrier between us. The berth is same size as ours with the 6.5m beam space. Their boat is taking up 19m of length which is fine but is using 7.1m of beam space due to dimension of multihulls and also that they are fendered off etc. So they are 60cm or 2 foot too big.

Issue is when our boat is in its berth there is less than 3foot between us. We are in a blow off berth with the typical prevailing wind so no room for error in docking.

So tell me how you would deal with this.

The powercat is brand new made of carbon fibre and a very expensive boat. Nice people etc and Re renting the berth right now...

We will talk to management of the marina about the powercat dimensions and politley request they be moved.

Your approach would be what?

Thanks
There's one piece of information I didn't see: Is the adjacent slip owned by the marina and are they renting it out or is it owned by another individual owner and he/she is renting it out?

If it's the marina, you can certainly ask that it be moved. You can ask strongly if necessary because the boat is actually taking up space that you "own".

If it's owned and rented by an individual, it's going to take a little more tact because you have no relationship with that person (or organization). You may not be able to locate them and they may refuse to deal with you.

In any case, you would still be responsible for any damage to the other boat (and your boat) from your docking operation even though the boat is partially in your space.

If it comes to an impasse, you will need to contact a lawyer.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #34
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
In BC the Gov't docks are multiple berth (tie alongside other boats). Did this for most of my boating life (commercial fishing).
Now berthed at a marina (floating docks),side tie, single tie only.
However, on board I like a double berth.
Have been double-berthed for 50 years!!

Ted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2421_zpsa0b7b4a0[1].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	47838  
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #35
Guru

Bohans, I`m not liking the sound of your Marina. First they allow an oversize boat beside you. Then they let out your berth while you are away, you return early and find it occupied (does the lease allow that, if so do you get a share of the fees they charged the short term user?)
As Brian says, I left a marina where we were moved without our knowledge or consent to a berth with a 3" gap between us and the next boat. We just left, I`d heard too many stories about the owners practices. I`m still hearing them.
You need to verify the adjoining berth is leased under similar conditions to yours, and get a copy of the lease document if possible, so you can confront the next door lessee . A quiet non confronting chat with the Marina might do it, assuming things have not gone beyond that. The 2 agreements are separate, you are not party to the neighbours agreement so how do you get the Marina to enforce it, you`d have to argue all the agreements are linked for everyone`s benefit.
Maybe there are obligations on the Marina in your lease about the size of boat they can allow in the twinned berth. Unfortunately most Marina leases usually just benefit the Marina and burden it the absolute minimum.
Do I understand correctly the cat is a subletting user? Query the original lessee knew the real size of the cat, maybe he can terminate, presumably the sublet agreement requires compliance with the lease above it. In any event the Marina should not allow an oversize boat. Whatever size limits are commonly accepted in Marinas, it sounds like yours has set its own, it should abide by them, and that means not putting an oversize boat next to you.
The issue for this old retired lawyer is how, once the facts are established, and assuming you want to stay, you force the Marina to comply.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #36
Guru

Well, step one is reviewing his own lease and talking pleasantly to the marina, trying to resolve amicably but knowing what his legal rights are or are not as he does.

As to the practice of renting one's slip out when they're not there, I know many marinas that have it in their rental agreements allowing them to do so and then share the revenues with you. Now, I haven't seen that on owned slips but it could be in the agreement. Size of boats should be specified in the slip deeds.

What you encountered, being moved, is fairly common in the US as well as allowed by the leases although it's typically not that the marina physically does the moving. They just advise you that you're being moved. Frankly though I've never known a marina to actually use that right. The closest I've seen is relocating boats because of maintenance they need to do and doing that with owner's permission.

The situation in which I've seen dramatic changes in marina practices have been after a sale of the marina. The contract often gave the marina broad rights but the old owner never abused them.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Thanks everyone for your interest. Here is the resolution so far.

I docked my boat today. Lined it up nicely with only 10kn blow off wind and had helpers to secure lines. The cat was not there. I spoke to the owner of the at and introduced myself and politley expressed my concerns. He is only renting but wants to buy. He tllold me his boat is 6.7m beam and i also told him it takes up 7.1m inc fenders etc of water space. He was told by the marina mgr he could berth here. He was not trying to squeeze in to save money etc. I saix all fine but really would like you to find another spot. I mentioned we own our berth and the dimensions of larger berths he could also rent. He does not want his boat damaged either.

Today i spoke to the marina mgr. Told them i spoke to cat owner and gave dimenions of his cat. As if they did not already know but they agreed to find another spot for the cat. Still negligent on the mgr part if you ask me...

Anyway while brining boat in today i had my wife and daughter throw lines. They were progressively secured as i came down our long 30m berth pontoon. All of a sudden while all was going great the guy who has my bow line ties off...suddenly the stern swings abruptly out and if the cat was there would have smashed it. I had to yell for him to release the line as i put the juggled the motors to bring my stern back in. Not fun at all...

This was a good lesson on giving clear instructions to all three line handlers but in reality it is hard to do. I relied on the bow handler to watch what was going on.

So good example of how it can all go wrong so fast.

I think i have the cat issue solved and no arguments or fights. Had a nice chat to the cat owner today also.

Thanks again for your interest and great advice.

Bo
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #38

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, MD. They do exist. This one is 60-feet long, four-feet wide. Pilings on one side. Plenty wide. Can't get me away from this slip. Boat is a Defever 44.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Manson.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	47853  
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #39
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
............ As to the practice of renting one's slip out when they're not there, I know many marinas that have it in their rental agreements allowing them to do so and then share the revenues with you. ............
A marina can put anything they want (as long as it's legal) in the lease and it's up to you to accept this or go elsewhere.

My marina specifies that they may rent out a slip holder's slip when the boat is away but they do not share the income with the slip holder, they keep it for themselves. They also reserve the right to require slip holders to vacate their slips for up to a week for a "boat show".

These practices are common in my area so there are few options.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #40
Guru

Great job of addressing the problem. Most conflicts can be resolved with diplomacy and if they can't then at least you know you tried. Just keep alert to this entire situation as it isn't completely resolved until the CAT is docked in another slip.