Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

City: Fairhope
Bermuda cruising

I don't read much about members cruising to Bermuda from the East Coast. Why is this? I would think it would be a nice wintering locale.
DaleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Most here do not have an ocean rated trawler to make such a long crossing. Heck we have to watch the weather conditions closely to make the jump to the Bahamas. Sailboats, however, do Bermuda all the time.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
600 nm of open ocean to get there, and you get basically one small island to explore. Not a lot to do after all that travel.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Nice place to live but wouldn't want to visit there. That's sort of tying to the one island post above. Now, you have me thinking though of whether we might work it in on this trip. Might just have to do some changing of plans. Only thought about it in the past as part of crossing the Atlantic. I never should have come to this thread. We'd have to short change some other stop but then already been to the rest of the stops we're making.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My brothers, sister and I went to Bermuda as kids on vacation with our parents. With fond memories, we went back with all our kids a few years ago. Things have changed a lot in 40 years. The island is densely populated with a significant number living on government assistance. Everything is costly as a result. Public busses and mopeds are transportation for most. When we were there, diesel was $15 per gallon. A quick check shows it at only $9 per gallon now. Needless to say, the harbors seemed to have mostly sailboats. We enjoyed our trip and the island has interesting history. As a winter cruising destination, it's too far North and very windy.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
My brothers, sister and I went to Bermuda as kids on vacation with our parents. With fond memories, we went back with all our kids a few years ago. Things have changed a lot in 40 years. The island is densely populated with a significant number living on government assistance. Everything is costly as a result. Public busses and mopeds are transportation for most. When we were there, diesel was $15 per gallon. A quick check shows it at only $9 per gallon now. Needless to say, the harbors seemed to have mostly sailboats. We enjoyed our trip and the island has interesting history. As a winter cruising destination, it's too far North and very windy.

Ted
Wifey B: Right now and for the next couple of weeks, highs in the lower 70's. A lot of days with winds around 20 mph and gusts at 30. But maybe in September on our way home. Looks like nice weather that time of year. Maybe not the place to buy fuel.

Bermuda has had a healthy economy and seems that has led many who need assistance there. It's like discovering a greeaaaaaaatttt restaurant and enjoying it until everyone else discovers it and you can't even get a table. Giannis couldn't even get a table in his fave pizza joint after the Bucks beat the Celtics. Now that's just wrong.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It's like discovering a greeaaaaaaatttt restaurant and enjoying it until everyone else discovers it and you can't even get a table.
Or to quote the late, great Yogi Bera... "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Or to quote the late, great Yogi Bera... "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
Wifey B: Two greatest philosophers, Yogi Berra and Satchel Paige.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleP View Post
I don't read much about members cruising to Bermuda from the East Coast. Why is this? I would think it would be a nice wintering locale.
I agree but I've been thinking about it. Closest point is about 550 miles (IIRC). Which is a pretty good crossing. A bit more than most cruisers are comfortable with.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I agree but I've been thinking about it. Closest point is about 550 miles (IIRC). Which is a pretty good crossing. A bit more than most cruisers are comfortable with.

Ken
Wifey B: Thanks to you guys bringing it up, Bermuda is now on our plans for late September or early October. Reworking schedule. Don't know what comes out of our plans or if we just extend our cruise south.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #11
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Wifey B: Thanks to you guys bringing it up, Bermuda is now on our plans for late September or early October. Reworking schedule. Don't know what comes out of our plans or if we just extend our cruise south.
Curious- what boat are you planning to take to Bermuda? Surely not the one in your avatar .

Seriously, a trip to Bermuda is a serious blue water passage. You need a very well found boat and the range to do it.

I am reminded of the yacht requirements for the xyz to Bernuda races. It requires all sorts of stuff: independent back up DC system, independent back up communication system, all sole hatches latched down, etc, etc. My neighbor spent ten plus thousand dollars rigging his very well built Island Packet 485 to meet those requirements.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Curious- what boat are you planning to take to Bermuda? Surely not the one in your avatar .

Seriously, a trip to Bermuda is a serious blue water passage. You need a very well found boat and the range to do it.

I am reminded of the yacht requirements for the xyz to Bernuda races. It requires all sorts of stuff: independent back up DC system, independent back up communication system, all sole hatches latched down, etc, etc. My neighbor spent ten plus thousand dollars rigging his very well built Island Packet 485 to meet those requirements.

David
Wifey B: Don't talk bad about my "Baby". Actually the boat in the avatar is CE A rated. However, since it only has range of about 210 nm then I don't think so.

Bigger boat with more range.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Wifey B: Don't talk bad about my "Baby". Actually the boat in the avatar is CE A rated. However, since it only has range of about 210 nm then I don't think so.

Bigger boat with more range.
There goes my faith in CE ratings.

David
Old 04-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
There goes my faith in CE ratings.

David
Wifey B: Don't pick on my "Baby". It would amaze you how well it handles rough seas. It earned the rating that very few it's size have. I would put it up against any boat in it's size and class. Plus it's cute and fun.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
.... the Bucks beat the Celtics. Now that's just wrong.
Exactly!! Go Celts !!!
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Exactly!! Go Celts !!!
Wifey B: Giannis not able to get in the Pizza place was wrong. Bucks beating Celts, I'm very mixed on. Celtics are so well coached and play their style so effectively in spite of all the injuries. Have to cheer them. On the other hand, the Bucks are a very good young team. Would like to see Prunty keep the job. I think Celts will win at home but who knows.

I'm afraid the Bron and the Pips will win their game 7 too but sure hope the Pacers take it.

Loved Donovan tonight. And so glad the Raptors won. Great team and uses their bench. Wall and Beal were practically crawling at the end.

And this is why we must have television on the boat.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 AM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm an estuarian boater. Not wanting open-sea cruising unless on a ship. Nevertheless, have read posters saying it's no big thing boating to the Bermudas. Nevertheless, I'm not a believer (Gulf Stream, Bermuda Triangle, and such).
Old 04-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Manotick, Ontario
Vessel Name: The Emerald
Vessel Model: Silverton 31C
I had the pleasure to stop at Bermuda while delivering a 51’ sailing yacht to the BVIs from Norfolk.

We had not intended to stop, but just have it as a way point... sail out to Bermuda, then turn right. But, we encountered a fast developing (i.e. it wasn’t there when we left Beaufort to cross) low pressure system that pounded us for several days (25-30’ seas, 35 knots of wind, gusting to 50). So we pulled in to dry out, apply more caulking to leaky places and fix a few things.

We landed at St. George then went through a cross island canal to Hamilton Harbor, where we stayed for a week at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, but it was expensive. The yacht club was awesome. I was wandering through it with my girl friend of the time, admiring the Winslow Homer paintings when a very elderly steward of the club, wearing an ancient tails tuxedo approached, looked at me only and said “Pardon me sir, but ladies are not permitted in the club house”. It was a few years ago.

Hanging out in Hamilton harbour during December, when a lot of boats are heading south is very entertaining. But there’s no cruising per se. Going to Bermuda, is definitely an adventure. Highly recommended if you are up to a multi-day ocean crossing.... but make sure you are very well prepared. When things go wrong you are a long ways from any help. We spent 6 weeks working on the boat to prepare it for this adventure. It was a wonderful, fun adventure!
windled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by windled View Post
I had the pleasure to stop at Bermuda while delivering a 51’ sailing yacht to the BVIs from Norfolk.

We had not intended to stop, but just have it as a way point... sail out to Bermuda, then turn right. But, we encountered a fast developing (i.e. it wasn’t there when we left Beaufort to cross) low pressure system that pounded us for several days (25-30’ seas, 35 knots of wind, gusting to 50). So we pulled in to dry out, apply more caulking to leaky places and fix a few things.
Wifey B: How well does your Baby handle these conditions?

David
Old 04-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Bermuda is a great pit stop on the way to the Carib.

Last time I was there St Georges shore tie up was free , no services provided.

And great Double Diamond beer , a quick walk away.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote