Bermuda Crossing on a GB42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe shift this thread a bit into the direction of what would it take to make a GB42 as prepared as possible. Leave aside the OP's experience (I think he said he'd cruised the boat from Texas to Cape May NJ, so while not offshore, he probably knows his boat well).

I was surprised at the suggestion to add ballast. But something to think about - at $1.25/lb, its a feasible expense, though I'd want to understand exactly what problem is being solved from a naval architect.

• Lexan storm plates over the windows.
  • Beef-up de-watering pumps
  • EPIRB/Liferaft
  • Enhanced weather routing (Iridium + PredictWind, for example)
  • Prep to go overboard to clear prop of net or tarp or trap
  • Enhanced engine spares (not sure what this might be - probably a separate thread in itself)
  • Back-up Autopilot Pump
  • Clean fuel tanks (and plenty of filters)
  • Mechanical skills
  • Isolated back-up nav gear in case of lightening strike (wouldn't take much)

A few months ago, on CruisersForum, there was a Defever 40 with single engine for sale. A couple owned it and had sailed her from San Francisco to Miami over the course of 2-years. Several years ago I did the Baja Ha Ha - 1000 nms south (albeit during a known good weather season) on a Willard 40, one of four powerboats in a fleet of 160. One of our fellow stink-potters was an older couple who had recently gone from sail to a an older Hershine 37 and they were continuing southbound on an open ended cruise. I kept track of them for a few months and they were doing fine. Several years before than, an acquaintance on a Uniflite 48 basically did the same run from San Francisco to Costa Rica and back over a 2-year period. And finally, my Willard 36 is Hull #40 which was splashed in 1970. I have what has to be the very first "Trawler Forum" documents - a 1-1/2" mimeographed set of newsletters from the 1960's of owners who ventured to places like the Galapagos Islands and Panama - when VHF radios were uncommon.

Before the naysayers say "Hurumph - that's coastal cruising!" I'll say yes....and no. There is a coast, but as anyone who has been down Baja, there may be coast, but not much else. Crossing from Cabo to Mazatlan is something like 200nms. There are gulfs Teuhentepc and Papagayo to cross. And the seas can be notoriously bad, though there are tricks to getting through it with only mild discomfort. As a matter of fact, the only boat I know that didn't make it was a Nordhavn 62 that lost power and smashed-up on the rocks in Baja with the loss of one crew's life.

So yea, there are stories - but these are doable trips. 650nms to Bermuda is not to be taken lightly, but if you like being at sea, have decent skills (including mechanical skills), patience to wait out weather, have the desire, and are willing to accept the risk that being on-your-own entails, a GB42 can get it done.

The ultimate question keeps coming back to "why?".

To me everything else is irrelevant.

1. Don't do it as you see risk versus gain as a zero sum outcome.... no foul and there are plenty of other adventures as some have mentioned worthy of consideration as you'll never do all of them in a lifetime.

2. Go...survive..have a great time because things went well and you get to say you did it...well...half of us will just say you were lucky no matter what. You will get there and enjoy mostly what you could have if you flew there because personal pleasure boating once there is pretty limited by those that have done it.

3. Go....survive...but be recovered by the USCG and half of us will say "see".

4. Go and not survive...obvious.

All a personal decision as the boat and captain can be made to make the trip with moderate or less risk to loss of life, a bit higher for loss of equipment.

But it all falls back on my adventuresome brain as to "why?" ....evaluate that.

The ultimate question keeps coming back to "why?".

To me everything else is irrelevant.

1. Don't do it as you see risk versus gain as a zero sum outcome.... no foul and there are plenty of other adventures as some have mentioned worthy of consideration as you'll never do all of them in a lifetime.

2. Go...survive..have a great time because things went well and you get to say you did it...well...half of us will just say you were lucky no matter what. You will get there and enjoy mostly what you could have if you flew there because personal pleasure boating once there is pretty limited by those that have done it.

3. Go....survive...but be recovered by the USCG and half of us will say "see".

4. Go and not survive...obvious.

All a personal decision as the boat and captain can be made to make the trip with moderate or less risk to loss of life, a bit higher for loss of equipment.

But it all falls back on my adventuresome brain as to "why?" ....evaluate that.

While you're not the only one to pose the "Why Bermuda?" question, I'll use your post to ask why is this the only relevant question when it's not even part of the OP's original post? The OP has a connection to Bermuda and it's something he wants to do. To quote the mountain climbers, "Because it is there."

To your list of four permutations, add-in 'get towed-in by SeaTow or a Good Samaritan (or towing service)' and you have all permutations whether you move your boat to nearby marina or circle the globe. Risk allocation is different for 650nms of open ocean compared to a day-sail in home waters, but there are ways to minimize the risk of the bad outcomes. May not be an acceptable risk for someone else - that's the OP's decision.

I have to say, I'm surprised the 'legs' this thread has garnered. And I'm surprised at how many people on this Forum really don't like doing long passages. Seems to be a common thread. That's fine of course, I just love them so much I thought everyone did.

I don't know if it's so much an aversion to long passages as a lot of us accepting that a good portion of the boats here (including our own) just aren't up to the task of long open ocean runs.

With my boat, for example, I'd be fine with a crossing to the Bahamas or somewhere else do-able in a day given reasonable weather. I wouldn't want to be out there overnight or in questionable weather. Or on a passage where I have to run slow to have enough fuel range. I'd want to be able to use the hull as designed, push the throttles up and blast along to the next fuel dock. Something as far as Bermuda is just not possible, as even at low speed, I don't have the range (even with no reserve).

I have to say, I'm surprised the 'legs' this thread has garnered. And I'm surprised at how many people on this Forum really don't like doing long passages. Seems to be a common thread. That's fine of course, I just love them so much I thought everyone did.

A long distance passage requires a well tended and mission capable vessel, that has the range and has a seasoned crew. I'm not sure we've been apprised that the boat or crew meet these basic qualifications. Thus the "wait just a minute" type comments.

That said, this may be the perfect opportunity for a well experienced delivery skipper. :thumb:

I agree that the OP might want a seasoned skipper aboard. Personally, I'd want the best diesel mechanic I could find.

I'm just surprised at how high the bar is for "capable boat." definitely has me wondering if my bar is too low.

I don't know the Atlantic, and no one volunteered passage planning info, so I took a peek at the Pilot Charts to see a decent time of year to go. There's a high pressure that settles in over the Azores in June/July (yes, beginning of hurricane season). Frequency of seas greater than 12-feet is pretty much zero (in March, 30% as a comparison). About 70% of the time there will be Beaufort Force 4 from the southerly quarter. The other 30% of the time, varying degrees of BF 3-4 from the other 3/4 of the compass cardinal.

I had to look-up what BF Force 4 is: Winds 11-16. Small waves 1-4 ft. becoming longer, numerous whitecaps.

Now, these are just averages over a long period of time, but it allows you to select the most favorable season to plan a trip. From there, you need to use weather routing to make final departure decisions. Bermuda is a bit tricky because summer is a good departure time, right at the beginning of hurricane season, though hurricanes usually don't intensify until much later in the summer.

Here's the June Pilot Chart for the North Atlantic (OpenCPN has them too, but I find the interface difficult so prefer the PDFs right from the source).
https://msi.nga.mil/api/publications/download?key=16693989/SFH00000/106jun.pdf&type=view

My friend used to do the Newport-Bermuda race. The key words here being "used to". I think the race was about six years ago. Really ugly. He has raced SORC and trans-pacs many times as well, but I guess he feels this area is particularly nasty in a blow. They lost their rig, and so did several others along with some serious injuries. This race is highly supported with USCG and committee boats. Maybe you could plan your crossing during the race so that there will be plenty of support around in the event that things get beyond your control? Just a thought. There are plenty of worse boats to make this crossing in than a GB42, there are also plenty of better ones too. Risk/reward. Mitigate the risk and enjoy the reward. There might be safety in numbers, but this might mitigate the reward. Yes?

My friend used to do the Newport-Bermuda race. The key words here being "used to." They lost their rig, and so did several others along with some serious injuries.

A departure from Newport in June would lay Bermuda at a course of about 120 putting prevailing weather and seas dead ahead to a couple points off the starboard bow, tough duty no matter what - a more southerly departure point would be much more comfortable.

Races are notorious for leaving no matter what - as they say, most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule.

How was his ride home? If conditions held, should have been a sleigh ride.....

Tough crowd on this thread. I would have expected more people figuring out how to make it work versus "Shouldn't be done. If you do and it works, dumb luck." Very little substance to the negativity besides anecdotal stories. I once hit some really bad chop in the Sacramento Delta (30-kts wind against a 5-kt ebb). Lesson I learned was to stay away from strong winds against a strong current, not to stay away from the Delta (BTW - Pilot Charts also show historical Gulf Stream currents - about 0.5-0.8 kts, with some swirl).

It is a "tough crowd" because most of the folks with the experience to do these passages would not do it in this boat, no matter how it might be modified. This is on ocean passage and only those who have not done it would confuse it with a coastal passage.
Lets take a few comments to task, "... I dont know the atlantic, but the pilot charts say..." Or. "...if you pick a weather window..." etc. And from the OP, "...I have Sirius WX so I am good to go". As I mentioned earlier, after eight trips to Bermuda, two Bermuda races, and about 20 crossings of the GS, there is no way you can rely on a weather forecast to keep you within the bounds of weather that a GB42 and a novice captain can handle. A GS weather forecast that goes from 20 knots from the east that ends up being from the north will be life threatening for a GB42. And no, you will not find that in the Pilot charts. (And Sirius WX has GRIBS out only 72 hrs, plus NOAA offshore high seas forecasts. Not sufficient to provide the fine detail needed for a "threading the needle" trip like this)
And what about strength in numbers? Go during one of the races? What is the OP going to do? Just hop off his boat and jump on a passing sailboat? People die trying to do this all the time. Maybe pass some extra fuel? Or Grey Poupon? Get real.
This idea from some authors that the USCG and the rest of us are out there just to rescue foolish boaters from the water shows a complete disregard for what seamanship is all about.
Add ballast? I hope that was from a naval engineer. Maybe thats the same one who knows what it would take to bring the boat up to Class A ocean standards. Or better yet, the OP should maybe just take advice from the internet. See how that works out.
And the anecdotal comments are all about other example of unqualified boats making similar trips. Just because someone crosses the Atlantic in a canoe and survives does not make it safe. There are plenty of non-anecdotal examples of boats being abandoned in the GS after leaving port with a decent weather forecast.
The OP asked a legitimate question, "What do you folks think of my idea" And a number of folks with at least some blue water experience said it was a bad idea.
But I am unsure if the OP was just looking to pick and choose his responses, ignoring the warning flags from experienced cruisers.
So my suggestion is; go ahead and do the trip, as long as you promise not to call for help when things go wrong. People who do reckless things on the ocean, having received plenty of reasons why it is a bad idea, then going ahead anyway, dont earn the privilege of being rescued when things go wrong.

From the original post....

"My questions (2) are: has anyone on this forum done a NC to Bermuda crossing on a Grand Banks trawler? and 2) do you see reasons why a blue water crossing this distance (640 nm) on a GB42 may not be such a good idea?"

I see a LOT of connection to responses of WHY? and the second question.

It is NOT such a good idea unless you have a good reason to go.

It's NOT a take lightly voyage. It's not hard or complicated in many respects...but it's NOT like doing the loop. There are many things to tend to and a thread of a 100 posts or more of tidbits is nice. But if I had as much experience as the OP says he has...he probably doesn't need too many tidbits of preparation as much as the "are you REALLY SURE" ya wanna do it based on the time, money, preparation, etc...etc...for really just the bragging right of doing it? As people pointed out...it's NOT really a great small boat destination compared to so many other challenging voyages.

Thinking about a trip is one thing...but actually doing it after talking to other experienced boaters often results in one changing their mind and not doing it.

So I think the WHY? is definitely a reasonable response this early in the planning stage.

Let's say the OP 's ONLY reason to go is bragging rights.Easy enough... question answered and can move on to the harder parts. If he thinks it through and comes up with well...I could go just as far and wind up someplace I have always wanted to go with a more satisfying stay...then mission accomplished by the simple "why" question.

Last edited:
How far off shore is the USCG authorized to make rescues?

Worldwide.

Several times in bad storms USCG helos launched from North Carolina, did the rescue but only had enough fuel to proceed to Bermuda. They would then catch a ride home on a Navy ship at some point.

I think it's only recently the USCG has a ship big enough to haul an H60.

It is a "tough crowd" because most of the folks with the experience to do these passages would not do it in this boat, no matter how it might be modified. This is on ocean passage and only those who have not done it would confuse it with a coastal passage.
Lets take a few comments to task, "... I dont know the atlantic, but the pilot charts say..." Or. "...if you pick a weather window..." etc. And from the OP, "...I have Sirius WX so I am good to go". As I mentioned earlier, after eight trips to Bermuda, two Bermuda races, and about 20 crossings of the GS, there is no way you can rely on a weather forecast to keep you within the bounds of weather that a GB42 and a novice captain can handle. A GS weather forecast that goes from 20 knots from the east that ends up being from the north will be life threatening for a GB42. And no, you will not find that in the Pilot charts. (And Sirius WX has GRIBS out only 72 hrs, plus NOAA offshore high seas forecasts. Not sufficient to provide the fine detail needed for a "threading the needle" trip like this)
And what about strength in numbers? Go during one of the races? What is the OP going to do? Just hop off his boat and jump on a passing sailboat? People die trying to do this all the time. Maybe pass some extra fuel? Or Grey Poupon? Get real.
This idea from some authors that the USCG and the rest of us are out there just to rescue foolish boaters from the water shows a complete disregard for what seamanship is all about.
Add ballast? I hope that was from a naval engineer. Maybe thats the same one who knows what it would take to bring the boat up to Class A ocean standards. Or better yet, the OP should maybe just take advice from the internet. See how that works out.
And the anecdotal comments are all about other example of unqualified boats making similar trips. Just because someone crosses the Atlantic in a canoe and survives does not make it safe. There are plenty of non-anecdotal examples of boats being abandoned in the GS after leaving port with a decent weather forecast.
The OP asked a legitimate question, "What do you folks think of my idea" And a number of folks with at least some blue water experience said it was a bad idea.
But I am unsure if the OP was just looking to pick and choose his responses, ignoring the warning flags from experienced cruisers.
So my suggestion is; go ahead and do the trip, as long as you promise not to call for help when things go wrong. People who do reckless things on the ocean, having received plenty of reasons why it is a bad idea, then going ahead anyway, dont earn the privilege of being rescued when things go wrong.
The folks with experience skipped a base rounding home. They've extolled their vast experience and self proclaimed wisdom but have given no real advice beyond fear, uncertainty and doubt. I would expect experts to be able to give in depth knowledge on weather patterns, what to look for (right after a cold front passes through or something), good departure angles, why the GB42 isn't a safe, etc. I'm sorry, but to brush aside Pilot Charts because they are irresponsible is not a sound demonstration of wisdom. Sure, they represent averages and you can't leave port based on them, but you can sure do some planning. None of that occurred in these 70-odd doom and gloom posts. Just a lot of condescending chatter about why there's nothing to see in Bermuda and it's a fools errand to even try.

Thank goodness there was no internet in 1492. Columbus would have never left port.

IMHO Well said.

Outside of striking a floating submerged object such as a container, vast majority of at-sea rescues could have been avoided by a different decision by the operator. Decision to leave port when weather was marginal (recent wreck of SV Zingaro). Decision to add capacity for fishing gear (perfect storm). Poor engine maintenance (N62 that smashed on rocks in Baja 15-years ago). Some sort of operator error that resulted in a N76 t-boning a ship. Charter boat that gets rolled coming across a bar with passengers even though they shouldn't have left in the first place. Decision to run a bit closer to an island (Costa Concordia)

Might as well put the USCG on ice. 90% of the rescues could likely be traced to a decision that they should just stay put.

Nice.

IMHO Well said.

My wife and I agreed on a key planning factor when we set off for the Caribbean in our 43-foot sailboat. If or planning every contained the word "if", as in, if the weather holds, if the front stalls, etc.. Were would not go. To many other things can go wrong, to tolerate a significant unknown. I have been in big seas and have learned to respect the weather and sea.

I have been to Bermuda 5 times on sail boats. Most were simple en-route stops on the way further South , and done in November. Double Diamond beer is great!

Yes the wind can pick up and give a rolling & bumpy ride , but if needed the old techniques such as a sea anchor , and a day or two delay still works.

GPS is so much better than a $10.00 plastic Davis sextant and sun shots..

My only question would be weather the boat can continue another 1000 miles to get to the Carib to make the effort worthwhile?

My only question would be weather the boat can continue another 1000 miles to get to the Carib to make the effort worthwhile?

If making it to the Caribbean is what will make it worthwhile then he can go south in the AICW and jump safely from there.

Most replies have been quite helpful and I do appreciate them - then there is yours. You write: What is your boating/captaining experience and level of expertise. You say until recently you didn't think you had the experience. What changed other than convincing yourself, I assume not your experience.
If you read my initial post you'd see my experience briefly stated. I'll add a few elaborations: Although I've been boating all my life, I've owned and operated my GB42 for 7 years and about 1600 hrs. Much coastal cruising including Galveston TX to Cape May NJ, mostly in ICW. Offshore experience limited to about 8 three to four-day trips diving at the Flower Garden Banks located 110 nm SSE of Galveston, and longest crossing was in 2018 on my way to Cape May. I crossed the GOM from Grand Isle LA to Sarasota, FL, 420 nm and 52 hrs with 3 on board. Fantastic weather window in early July, 1-2 ft seas most of the way. Just remembered another offshore trip out of Galveston I made with 2 other divers in 2017 - we ran out 110 nm, moored overnight and ran another 60 nm east to a deep coral reef called McGrail Bank. Made a couple of technical dives there. If I was seasoned at making a 640 nm crossing in the open Atlantic on a GB42, I would have no need to post. I clearly realize that 3 or even 4 days in the Gulf of Mexico is not equal to a 4-day crossing in the open Atlantic. To be blunt, I'm more interested in hearing from people who have made such long crossings than from those who haven't. I remain open-minded for experiential inputs.

Here is a short video by someone who made the crossing in what looks like some kind of trawler. These not so bad conditions may or may not be similar to what you will encounter but they look to me like typical afternoon chop in the gulf stream. Notice the rolling and it also appears they have a large plastic fuel tank in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Most replies have been quite helpful and I do appreciate them ....... To be blunt, I'm more interested in hearing from people who have made such long crossings than from those who haven't. .
Not only do I hear what you are asking, it reminds me of a short story I heard long ago.

Howard Hughes was being interviewed by a young reporter while visiting Hughe's office. He asked why there were 32 lawyers assembled in a large space but there was also 1 lawyer off to the side, by himself?

Hughe's answer was that the 32 always advised him as to what not to do while the 1 (older gentleman) always concentrated on telling him how to achieve his many wants.

It's obvious to me that you would like to hear from that older lawyer. :popcorn:

It is clear to me that you would want stabilizers at the very least. But then again, perhaps you don't mind rolling. From my experience in the Atlantic on a sailboat, probably 25 days or more, The video above is fairly typical. I have been becalmed for 24 hours, four days out from Norfolk, Va and I have been in 20 - 25-foot swells (which would have been no problem for our trawlers).

Coming back from the Caribbean, we were hit with a storm while on the Gulf stream. I would not have liked being in a trawler, even with stabilizers. It was a rollicking ride even in our sailboat. We were very nearly pooped. I hate to think what that would it have done to my current boat, an OA456, which has a fairly large rear cockpit, and hydraulic stabilizers.

The storm lasted 3 - 4 hours.

Also while in the Atlantic we were hit with a rogue wavelet. This wave came out of no where at an angle 80 - 90 degrees or so out from all the other waves. It was a calm day and we were on a beam reach in 1 - 2 for seas. It was so beautiful that we had the front of the dodger open as well as the companion way hatch. A wave, 7 -9 feet high, hit the bow and came rolling over the boat. Much of it broke on the fore deck, but a bunch of water went into cockpit and down below through the hatch.

Such a wave, or storms, could play havoc with our large windows. I doubt I would ever take our boat some place where I might need sea anchors. These are difficult enough to set up right on a sailboat. Rigging them on a trawler on pitching seas would be an adventure. Also, you would need to think about jacklines. I carried pre-cut pieces of ply wood to screw over stove-in hatches and port lights. And not just the front Windows, but the sides as well.

Each of us has our own tolerance for adventure. There is a quote about the difference between sheer terror and adventure is our attitude.

It sounds to me like you probably have as much or more experience on a trawler as most folks on the site.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gordon

That boat probably burns 4 gph at 7 kts and 10 gph at 10 kts. I doubt if he has the fuel to go the distance at 1 NM/gal. Most GB 42 Classics have 600 gal fuel tanks.
My older brother, now diseased, use to travel back and forth from San Diego to San Carlos, Mexico in his 42' Californian Sport Fisher. Not wanting to stop at Turtle Bay for fuel, he added 2 plastic Coca cola drums, (each one containing 50 gals) strapped to each corner of the cockpit. 1 cargo strap was passed through the haws holes (2) which really held them in place.

He also carried a manual, hand cranked,fuel pump for transferring fuel to his saddle tanks. This set up allowed him to make Cabo without a stop.

This worked extremely well and he was able to take full advantage of benign weather windows and pick his desired fuel stops.

Attachments

• Cocacola Drum.jpg
    Cocacola Drum.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Rotary hand pump.png
    Rotary hand pump.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Pump & Barrel.jpg
    Pump & Barrel.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Thanks Codger2, but no, I'm not looking for yes men. I worked in the corporate world as a Project Director for several decades overseeing large heavy industrial projects (gas plants, refineries, etc) where the welfare of engineers and construction workers could be directly affected by my decision-making. I always operated on a process of getting the maximum amount of intelligence possible before making a decision. That is what I'm trying to do now before making a final decision on a Bermuda crossing. I understand the "impact" on such a crossing could be severe in a GB42 so from experiential inputs, I want to get a fuller understanding of what can be done to minimize the likelihood of such an impact. Consider all the pertinent what-ifs, and see how each risk can be abated, or not. A similar process technical divers make before executing a deep dive. I'm giving myself plenty of time before making the Bermuda crossing decision. If I decide to go it will be in June-July 2021 timeframe.

Last edited:
Thanks Codger2, but no, I'm not looking for yes men. .
WOW! Looking for "yes men" was not a point I was trying to make!I meant to comment on the majority of comments that were leaning towards "don't do it!" If I were 20 years younger, I would definitely give it a try, assuming all the safeguards are followed to the letter. :facepalm:

Thanks Codger2, but no, I'm not looking for yes men. I worked in the corporate world as a Project Director for several decades overseeing large heavy industrial projects (gas plants, refineries, etc) where the welfare of engineers and construction workers could be directly affected by my decision-making. I always operated on a process of getting the maximum amount of intelligence possible before making a decision. That is what I'm trying to do now before making a final decision on a Bermuda crossing. I understand the "impact" on such a crossing could be severe in a GB42 so from experiential inputs, I want to get a fuller understanding of what can be done to minimize the likelihood of such an impact. Consider all the pertinent what-ifs, and see how each risk can be abated, or not. A similar process technical divers make before executing a deep dive. I'm giving myself plenty of time before making the Bermuda crossing decision. If I decide to go it will be in June-July 2021 timeframe.

Hey mate, some of us with zero or almost zero experience are following this thread with interest (even fascination in my case). I love those inputs from folks with lots of experience (either for yay or nay) and equally endure the usual prophets of doom and gloom’s posts, anyway, best of luck in your adventure. I envy you as I’d love to do it one day too. Cheers and fair winds!

Jesse - you've done some decent treks already. 1600 engine hrs is a lot, and with long legs. Hefty expense, but have you considered stabilizers? Would make a world of difference in your overall comfort, not just the Bermuda leg. For Bermuda, even departing from NC, you'll likely have some flavor of beam seas. I personally believe they are nearly required equipment for coastal cruising.

WOW! Looking for "yes men" was not a point I was trying to make!I meant to comment on the majority of comments that were leaning towards "don't do it!" If I were 20 years younger, I would definitely give it a try, assuming all the safeguards are followed to the letter. :facepalm:

Exactly. Yes men are useless because they don't see the problem....the old lawyer sitting alone is representative of the group of people that can find a solution to any problem...but "any solution" just may include "is it worth the effort AND risks "

My advice is like most. Start multiple spreadsheets including:

1. Projects and costs to make the boat as resilient uh any as possible.
2. Spares for critical systems and special tools required.
3. Recommended training such as advanced first aid, etc....

There are many books, blogs, lectures etc that are a lot more organized and probably helpful than the shot gun effect of forum threads that are better suited for specific questions.

That's barely a start....but one gets the idea of thg he time, effort, and money it will take. Then one sits down with the possible crew and decides to or no go points along the way... the first being going past that first meeting.

And as pointed out....don't stop at a roadblock if you really want to proceed...look for a solution/ person that can keep you moving.....IF you really want to at that point.

I personally think it is a doable trip if you really want to.....for me personally....I too have been told by many that the expense and effort is no where near as good as a trip up through Maine and the Maritimes or the loop around the Caribbean that takes similar effort.

JD
In 2011 we seriously contemplated doing some blue water offshore cruising. It took about 5 seconds to determine that our very seaworthy DF 48 was not that mission ready vessel. One thought to toss out is have you considered a vessel that is with the proven bones to do your trip, and beyond that you desire?

BTW, my working background was likely similar to yours so decision making and safety 101 was well understood and practiced.

Back
Top Bottom